Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Fried Chicken

Options
  • 09-01-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi

Love the taste of southern fried chicken and would love to make up the coating myself at home. Does anyone know how to do it? Have tried googling the ingredients but cant find anything similar.

Can anyone help? :)
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I did this tonight from Jamie Olivers new USA book (cant remember the name). It was a disaster. I followed everything to a tee but I burned the batter and it was pretty tasteless. That said I tried deep frying mushrooms in the batter mix and they were delicious. I will post the recipe tomorrow. You might find it on his web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Have a look on You Tube, you might find some ideas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I use chicken (obviously), egg, seasoned flour and breadcrumbs - like panko breadcrumbs.

Seaon the flour liberally with spices and flavours you like. I put about three tablespoons of plain flour into a large plastic bag (like a ziploc food storage bag). Then add a LOT of pepper and salt, and then maybe a heaped teaspoon of chili powder, a heaped teaspoon of dried oregano or dried thyme, and whatever else I have in the cupboard that I think might taste good, e.g. sumac, or szechuan pepper, or garlic powder, so on. The main tip I have is use a high proportion of spices to flour, because you just get a suggestion of a flavour on the finished product, because not that much of the coating sticks to the chicken.

Drop the raw chicken pieces, skin on, into the bag of flour and spices. Shake them around until they're thoroughly coated in the flour mixture. Then take them out and dip in a beaten raw egg, carefully, so they're coated in raw egg, then roll in breadcrumbs until covered. Finally, deep fry.

An alternative method would be to pat the chicken dry with a kitchen towel, then put the chicken into raw egg, THEN into the flour mixture.

Final option, just put chicken into the flour and then straight into the fryer, without using egg or breadcrumbs.

I recommend trying a few different methods in one go, so you can compare flavours, so section off a whole chicken and try different seasonings, bread some and don't bread others, etc.

The finished product can be more satisfying if you serve with some dipping sauces - not particularly southern, but definitely tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

I know, it's gorgeous isn't it! Try this link. I found it brilliant. :)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-southern-fried-chicken-2

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thanks for that, will give it a try!!

Do you think it will taste as good as chipper southern fried chicken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will give it a try!!

Do you think it will taste as good as chipper southern fried chicken?

Yes, if not better. :)

Great stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A chipper or supermarket deli might sell you some of the powder if you ask nicely. My mate worked in a deli section in a supermarket and cooked the SFC there, he gave me a big bag of the spices to make my own.

rubadub wrote: »
    A chipper or supermarket deli might sell you some of the powder if you ask nicely. My mate worked in a deli section in a supermarket and cooked the SFC there, he gave me a big bag of the spices to make my own.

Thats a great idea! Part of the reason I want to make it myself is im on a low carb diet.If I could get the spices right I could try it with some almond flour. Worth a go I reckon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Love it with pancakes with sweetcorn inside (hush puppies?) and fried bananas, my Mum calls it Chicken Maryland, don't know what the actual Chicken Maryland is meant to be though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah, but pan-fried or deep-fried?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gordon wrote: »
    Love it with pancakes with sweetcorn inside (hush puppies?) and fried bananas, my Mum calls it Chicken Maryland, don't know what the actual Chicken Maryland is meant to be though.

Chicken Maryland is as far as I am concerned:

Part boned chicken breast, breaded and deep fried served with breaded pineapple and banana, half a corn on the cob and half a grilled tomato wrapped in bacon. It's a lot of fried, breaded food but is kinda great - haven't had it in about 20 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Chicken Maryland is as far as I am concerned:

Part boned chicken breast, breaded and deep fried served with breaded pineapple and banana, half a corn on the cob and half a grilled tomato wrapped in bacon. It's a lot of fried, breaded food but is kinda great - haven't had it in about 20 years!!

I thought chicken maryland is traditionally shallow fried and then finished in the oven. I think most places just deep fry it because it's less hassle. If you brown it and finish it in the oven it's much less greasy. I'm probably wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chewabacca wrote: »
    I thought chicken maryland is traditionally shallow fried and then finished in the oven. I think most places just deep fry it because it's less hassle. If you brown it and finish it in the oven it's much less greasy. I'm probably wrong though!

You could well be right, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

One day I will be brave and I will make this. It will be a good day.

Edit: the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I want fried chicken now !!!!

Advertisement