Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An idea for the Soccer Tickets Forum

Options
  • 09-01-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to suggest the following idea for the Soccer Tickets & Travel Fourm.
    Yesterday I sent a post about a Premiership match that had just been postponed. All new posts on this forum must be approved by a Mod before being allowed onto the Forum.
    Unfortunately the post didn't get approved until this afternoon which obviously wouldn't be of much use to someone heading to the match.
    In fairness to the Mods and the good work they do on this Fourm, this was a one off and I since learnt this was due to sickness.
    The idea was to inform guys before they started their journey, as I know from previous experience, the earlier one knows about a postponed match, the better.
    My suggestion is that going forward allow people who have a substanial post count (Admin/Mod's decide on the number) or people who have been members for a number of years (again Admin/Mods decide) to post without prior approval.
    Then when a Mod reviews the post, they can modify or delete the post if it is not correct or appropiate and suspend or ban the author.
    If someone has a large post count or has been a member for many years, it is unlikely they would start a thread that could see them banned.
    The Mods would still have control over the threads but at least the new threads would be published awaiting approval.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791984
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anything "urgent" could be done by contacting a cat mod or admin or by using the reported post function though?

I do like suggestions of giving a little more trust to some users with higher post counts and what not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

As the Soccer mod who does most of the thread approving on the T&T forum I would give this my full backing,we don't get much hassle on that forum and 90% of the time its from new reg users.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

To the best of my knowledge this is not technically possible. Posting permissions are set by forum rather than by user, and so all posts, unless they're by a mod of the forum or an admin, must be approved before they appear, regardless of the join date or post count of the poster. Using either isn't a reliable way to judge a person's credibility anyway. I've seen plenty of people who joined 6 or 7 years ago with a handful of posts to their name. Similarly I've seen joinees from 2008 with 5,000+ posts. How would you judge the reliability of either of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

defo a good idea, to allow the threads to be seen there imediately....

how about giving the regulars semi mod powers, say 2 or 3 of them, the ability to delete/merge threads as they appear if they are rubbish/off topic/touting etc etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But how do you do that within the restrictions of the software. Take me as an example - I've >4k posts. I also have access to post in Soccer. I'd say I've posted about 5 times in soccers (I applied because I could and I may want to occasionally). Does that make me a regular poster? Should I have mod powers in ST&T? Of course not. But vBulletin might give it to me based on the other criteria.

[edit]And then I just read the .sig of the poster above me and remembered why Soccer is a highly moderated and restricted forum. Regular poster or not I would not give someone with that attitude even a hint of an impression of power in any soccer forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement