Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning boots without proof of purchase

• 09-01-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I noticed that sole of my boots is starting to come off, I bought them just before Xmas and cant find the receipt, am i able to return them?
    They were 100 euro so I'm quite annoyed :(

xo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

According to this site, you should have some proof or purchase. Otherwise how can you prove that you only have them a short time. I think River Island have a sign in the shoe section that you must have receipt if returning branded footwear (i.e. not River Island shoes).

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 the burden of proof rests with you the consumer, so it is up to you to prove that you purchased the boots and the retailer is entitled to request this. However you are entitled to offer a bank statement as proof of purchase so if you paid by laser this could be an avenue worth considering!
    (This is quite mortifying for me as I do law and we did all this stuff recently so my knowledge should be far better than what it is lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Did you pay cash? If you had proof that they were bought on your laser card or credit card that may work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I work in a shoe shop and our policy is if you have proof of purchase, generally a receipt but occassionally a shoe box, you can get a full refund providing it's within the 28 days. In exceptional cases such as what you described it's up the the manager. If the manager deems that they shoes weren't faulty and it was through misuse that the shoes were damaged it's unlikely she'll offer you a full refund. However, depending on the situation you may get a credit note. If you're missing the box but still have the receipt you can still get the refund. If you have the box but no receipt we may offer you a refund for the current price of the boots. So if you bought them full price but they're now on sale and you have no receipt then all you'll get back is the sale price. :)

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LickLickLick

Got a credit note from the shoe shop thankfully!
    Didnt have receipt but had the box in good condition. :)

x

• Advertisement
Advertisement