Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Beta Details And Date Thur 28th

Options
  • 09-01-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/1/8/news/71402/

In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the ‘B’ company fight their way through snowy mountaintops, dense jungles and dusty villages. With a heavy arsenal of deadly weapons and a slew of vehicles to aid them, the crew set off on their mission and they are ready to blow up, shoot down, blast through, wipe out and utterly destroy anything that gets in their way. Total destruction is the name of the game, delivered as only the DICE next generation Frostbite engine can. Either online or offline, enemies will soon learn there is nowhere to hide.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will deliver a level of destruction, vehicular warfare, squad play and open world environments never before experienced in a modern warfare action game. By pushing destruction to new heights and delivering a host of land, sea and air vehicles, players will soon witness the best-in-class online warfare experience.

Whether online or in the single player campaign, players use every weapon and vehicle to survive and conquer. Players choose from 15 authentically modeled vehicles, each providing a tactical advantage and offering a variety of gameplay options. The new UH-60 transport helicopter can ship an entire four-player squad directly into battle, while allowing two additional team members to wreak havoc with its two mounted rail guns on board.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 players will have a selection of 46 weapons that they can customize into over 200 different, high-powered firearms. There are over 15,000 kit variations possible in the game, giving each squad member the ability to choose the weapon upgrades and combat enhancements that best fits their playing style. Between the weapons, kit combinations and deadly vehicles, players will be equipped with a wide range of gadgets, accessories and character specializations to give them the edge in the heat of battle.

BETA Details:

* Beta Begins/Ends: Jan 28th - Feb 25th
    * Map Name: Port Valdez
    * Players: 32
    * Game Mode: Rush
    * Environment: Snow
    * Theme: Vehicle and Infantry

The battle for Port Valdez is fought alongside the waterline towards a great oil industrial landscape in the Alaskan mountains. Using basically everything they've got the Russian forces are launching an airborne assault to knock out the oil industries in the area. In their arsenal there are Main Battle Tanks as well as fast-moving Quad Bikes and mobile armored AA. It's a vehicle focused battle, but with plenty of infantry combat.

Check back to the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta Page closer to beta launch date for download instructions.

Reserve Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the most sure fire way and right now we are still finalizing which Retailers & e-Tailers will participate (it's up to them). If you're eager to ensure you get in confirmed distributors to Pre-Order consumers are the EA Store and at GameStop.com. We'll have another Blog to update new retailers & e-Tailers that have teamed up with us as well as alternate channels to obtain a Closed Beta Key.

Misc. Details

* Steam Beta: Yes there was a leaked image of a Package file we propped on Steam. People with illegal accounts can see games in this environment, but this is not a Beta in the term of Public Test Beta, but a real development Beta installer client for the Steam version of the full game. We are however working with Steam to have the Public PC Beta available on Steam, but can't confirm this quite yet so cross your fingers Steam users. :-)
    * Anti Cheat: We're going with PunkBuster supporting the same options BF2 and BF2142 had to run unranked without PunkBuster.
    * Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.
    * Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers.

PC Enhanced Features

* Up to 32 Players on PC (24 on consoles) - Play with up to 32 players online in the biggest multiplayer Maps in Battlefield. Each with a different tactical and gameplay focus set across a variety of environments.
    * Full DirectX 9, 10 & 11 Support - Immerse yourself in the Battlefield world as Frostbite engine brings tanks, planes, and explosions to vivid life on your PC. The game will fully support Windows XP, Vista, and 7 with new tech that further improves things like lighting and shadows.
    * Enhanced Gameplay - The PC version also includes wide peripheral support like Joysticks for flying, NVDIA 3D Vision, Logitech LCD Keyboards and VoIP Support plus a variety of specific features tailored for PC play.
    * Friend Support - Find your friends online with the new buddy list to see if and who is online so you can quickly join their game.
    * Dedicated Ranked Server - Everyone gets non-stop action with no connection penalties based on some other player's internet. Ranked Server Provider program will give players opportunity to rent their own server(s) located in professional grade datacenters, ability to modify settings like map rotation, create reserved slots for friends or clan members, kick & Ban players, and custom name your ranked server.
    * Clan Support & Private Servers - Independent Clan Tag, and ability to rent servers for hosting and controlling private password protected competitive servers with expanded control over the settings from public ranked servers.
    * PC Squad Play System - Updated from previous Battlefield PC titles now gives control of your squad before heading into combat.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 brings the spectacular Battlefield gameplay to the forefront of next-gen consoles and PC - featuring best-in-class vehicular combat set across 8 huge sandbox maps each with a different tactical focus.

New vehicles like the All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) and the UH-60 transport helicopter allow for all-new multiplayer tactics in the warzone, extensive tuning ensures that this will be the most satisfying vehicle combat experience to date.

Tactical destruction is taken to new heights with the updated DICE ‘Frostbite’ engine. Players can now take down entire buildings or create their own fire points by blasting holes through cover, thereby delivering a unique experience in every match

Players can also compete in 4-player teams in 2 exclusive squad-only game modes, fighting together to unlock exclusive team awards and achievements. Spawn on your squad to get straight into the action, and use gadgets such as the tracer dart in-conjunction with the RPG to devastating effect.

Excellence in the battlefield is rewarded with an extensive range of pins, insignias and stars to unlock along with 50 dedicated ranks to achieve

Variety also extends into the range of customizable kits weapons and vehiceles available. With 4 distinct character classes, 46 weapons, 15 gadgets, 13 character specializations and over 15000 kit variations to discover and master players will be able to fine-tune their preferred fighting style to give them the edge in combat.

Multiplayer Features

* 8 Huge Multiplayer Maps. Each with a different tactical and gameplay focus and set across a variety of environments
    * Ultimate Online Vehicle Warfare! 15 land, sea and air vehicles, each with a tactical advantage during play. Race into action with the ATV or rain death from above in the UH-60 transport helicopter with its 2 side-mounted rail guns
    * All-new Squad Gameplay. Team up with 3 other players and fight together to unlock special awards and achievements in 2 squad-specific game modes
    * Destruction 2.0. Take down entire buildings, create firepoints in cover or blow it up entirely! In Battlefield Bad Company 2™ there will be no place to hide!
    * ‘Play It Your Way’ experiment and refine your ideal combat style with 4 character classes (medic, assault, recon and engineer), 15000+ kit variations, 46 weapons (200 different customization opportunities), 15 gadgets and 13 character specializations.
    * Awards and Achievements, combat efficiency and performance is rewarded with special awards such pins, stars and insignias which contribute to unlocking 50 ranks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No mod tools and no dedicated server files, another game killed before release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

There will be dedicated server files, but they will only be released to ranked server providers. While this isnt ideal its still way better than P2P with MW2.

Also it hasnt been made clear if the dedi files situation applies to both the beta and the full game, though I suspect it will. I've seen mention that the engine is too new for mod tools, just an excuse I suspect.

I agree that its a better system than the p2p system of MW2, but its completely closed source, is this the direction we're heading, where they control exactly the way we play?

Thank fcuk for BI and Arma II, the saving grace for gaming on the pc for me atm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah who cares we are getting another BF game on PC way over due. Ive never really bothered much with the extra content the comunity made for BF2 anwyays. with No ranking no one really played them much so ya could never get a busy server.

Also reading the above info I couldent help feel it was writted by some DICE developer, with an " Up your`s MW2" attitude....

Still I reserved my copy today out march 5th they told me. Ill be getting this one on XBOX and PC never done that for a game before but I have friends who play on both formats.

BTW that release date i was given was for the PC version they did not have an xbox release date. I said to the guy surly its on the day but he said it might not be as it has happened before.

ah who cares we are getting another BF game on PC way over due. Ive never really bothered much with the extra content the comunity made for BF2 anwyays. with No ranking no one really played them much so ya could never get a busy server.

Also reading the above info I couldent help feel it was writted by some DICE developer, with an " Up your`s MW2" attitude....

Still I reserved my copy today out march 5th they told me. Ill be getting this one on XBOX and PC never done that for a game before but I have friends who play on both formats.

BTW that release date i was given was for the PC version they did not have an xbox release date. I said to the guy surly its on the day but he said it might not be as it has happened before.

By Spooky Age 5 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Auvers wrote: »
    * Anti Cheat: We're going with PunkBuster supporting the same options BF2 and BF2142 had to run unranked without PunkBuster.
    Excellent. Punkbuster. As much as I hate it, at least Punkbuster bans people for hacks.
    * Mod Tools: There will not be mod tools for BFBC2. However a majority of the the games logic is controlled by the server and there will be Serverside control options for the dedicated servers.
    * Public Server Files: We will not distribute these publicly. There are many factors for why we have decided this with the biggest factor being security & integrity of our game & Dedicated Servers.
    That's a pity. I'd say they are doing this so that people can't find ways to hack their servers, but meh. Hoping they release them at a later date. Did they had mod support for BF2 when it first came out?
    * Friend Support - Find your friends online with the new buddy list to see if and who is online so you can quickly join their game.
    Once it's on par with Steams system, I'll be happy :P
    * Clan Support & Private Servers - Independent Clan Tag, and ability to rent servers for hosting and controlling private password protected competitive servers with expanded control over the settings from public ranked servers.
    How much will the control be expanded? Zero gravity option?
    Tactical destruction is taken to new heights with the updated DICE ‘Frostbite’ engine. Players can now take down entire buildings or create their own fire points by blasting holes through cover, thereby delivering a unique experience in every match
    Once I can lob C4 onto a truck, and drive it at tanks, I'll be happy :P :D :cool:
    Players can also compete in 4-player teams in 2 exclusive squad-only game modes
    This sounds like what Spec-Ops mode on MW2 is.

=-=

I'll be getting the game in HMV (have a voucher), so I hope they do the beta :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

the_syco wrote: »
    Once I can lob C4 onto a truck, and drive it at tanks, I'll be happy :P :D :cool:

You know that no one likes you C4 types don't ya? :)

Ponster wrote: »
    You know that no one likes you C4 types don't ya? :)
    Aye. But I play to enjoy the game.

and you call that fun? Most lads i see using C4 tend to kill them selfs in the process....

LOL if Syco could stick C4 on himself and run at tanks then he would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Ah the good old days of loadin a buggy with C4 & drivin full speed at a tank and jumpin out & boom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Sounds good, if Punkbuster will actually allow me play this game.

try manually installing PB from www.evenbalance.com its the only i can get it to work for me. Get the updater .exe file its the easiest way.

And yes i hate them C4 buggies but as I mainly play on inf servers I dont have that problem. Been playing on a lot of great wall inf servers. Its my new Karky, I get high pings but thats ok im only playing against americans, they need all the help they can get..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Me too Cully me too. First time I've been excited about a battlefield game since BFV.

Just pre-ordered !

Ponster wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered !
    I've also pre-ordered it, in the local HMV. How does the BETA key thing work, if I have it pre-ordered, or does it only work in certain shops?

I read that beta keys get e-mailed on the 28th.

Maybe it only applies to online pre-orders ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wow...DICE withhold dedi server files....how gay
    DICE has told Eurogamer there is "no profit" made from forcing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 players to rent dedicated servers instead of building their own.

Producer Gordon Van Dyke said files the community needs to build dedicated servers are being withheld in order to "protect the game's integrity on PC".

"This does not earn DICE a profit," BFBC2 Van Dyke told us. "But we will see where the game goes and support it post launch."

Right now the only way to host a private dedicated server is by renting from one of DICE's authorised hosts. These, Van Dyke added, have already been picked in "all major regions of the world".

This is a first for the Battlefield series, as Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 both supported community members building and hosting their own dedicated servers.

DICE had made much of Battlefield: Bad Company 2's dedicated server support after Infinity Ward decided to go peer-to-peer with Modern Warfare 2 on PC.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 goes into PC beta testing later this month, starting 28th January and ending 25th February.

The full game's out on 5th March

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Who actually hosts their own dedicated server?

• Advertisement

Thats not the point, now clans who already have rented dedi boxes cant host their own server, they gotta go to a company who DICE approve. Its not just a case of a gameserver company applying for the dedi files for one, they gotta pay DICE. Bet there'll be none in Irl

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Thats not the point, now clans who already have rented dedi boxes cant host their own server, they gotta go to a company who DICE approve. Its not just a case of a gameserver company applying for the dedi files for one, they gotta pay DICE. Bet there'll be none in Irl

So its no different to ranked servers :confused: except there will be nothing other than ranked servers.

Dont see the fuss tbh, clans will rent servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

All the normal hosting companies will be there, and i can kind of understand why the dedi files arn't given out to everyone, new game engine and all. Still cant work out how the beta works, i ordered mine from play but they give no details how you can get the beta.

From Twitter :

Unfortunately we don't have direct control over your local retailers, please contact them with questions about their offering the Beta.

Follower Tip RT @Lachtan: @OfficialBFBC2 xzone.cz and jrc.cz are offering Beta key in Czech republic

Follower Tip RT @Dennis_360: @OfficialBFBC2 amazon.de is offering beta codes in germany ;)

Follower Tip RT @sallpr0: @OfficialBFBC2 game.se is offering it in sweden!

follower Tip RT @DeathNamePL: @OfficialBFBC2 gramer.pl, ultima.pl and sklep.gry-online.pl are offering BC2 PC beta access in Poland

Helpful RT @wlchrbandit: @OfficialBFBC2 play.com are offering it in the uk.

This is the message from Play.com :
    Pre-Order from Play.com and receive a code to access the PC BETA before anyone else! The BETA is due to start on the 28th January 2010 (subject to change). Codes and instructions on how to access the BETA early will be emailed two days prior (currently 26th January) to the start of the BETA. Please note, pre-orders already taken will automatically receive a code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LemonSnake

Can anyone tell me which shops will give away beta keys? I phoned a few but they said that they don't have any information on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

most of the big online retailers like play, amazon and the likes. They will email you the beta key on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Ah bloody hell i have to install BF2 again now, all the talk of c4 buggies. I was a bit of a heli eh wh.... eh you know but when i was on maps like daqing id do a bit of jeeping for a bit of a light hearted laugh.
    Oh god i love the special forces maps.
    I know its bloody annoying to be on the receiving end but ah sure so is being bombed from a plane.
    Actually how is BF2 with Win 7 64bit? Does it run ok?

I played the beta on ps3 for a short while, couldnt stick using the pad for it though, cannot wait for this.

Has any other online shop confirmed availability for beta codes? Amazon are not participating in this promotion. I cannot stand Play anymore, relatively pricey and you could be waiting 3 weeks for the game, i find post from japan or hong kong quicker.

LemonSnake wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me which shops will give away beta keys? I phoned a few but they said that they don't have any information on it...

You can always pre-order via the EA DOWNLOAD MANAGER and download it when it's released.

Nothing stopping you from burning the downloaded files onto a DVD so you won't have to ever download them again.

I will not be bothering with any Beta`s or demo`s its not like im not sure if ill be buying this game, or wonder if its gona be any good, I already know the answer to both.

I did play the demo for bad company to get the 2500 points so I could get that smg unlock i think it was the uzi, only to never actually use it anwyays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LemonSnake

Thanks for the answers lads. I might pre-order it from play.

Advertisement