Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening an ice skating rink in limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jojo4_you

wow.....honestly i didnt think i will get such a quick and postive responses from all of ye... i will keep you inform about all the situation , espacially county council and sporting socities...and as far as students are concerned, obviously they will have a discount..but for those things its too early to say anything,
    Thanks for your suggestion on location, i think so coonagh cross will be out of town??(what ye think) at the moment i am thinking about raheen or then uncompleted building near parkway any opinions on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jojo4_you wrote: »
    wow.....honestly i didnt think i will get such a quick and postive responses from all of ye... i will keep you inform about all the situation , espacially county council and sporting socities...and as far as students are concerned, obviously they will have a discount..but for those things its too early to say anything,
    Thanks for your suggestion on location, i think so coonagh cross will be out of town??(what ye think) at the moment i am thinking about raheen or then uncompleted building near parkway any opinions on this???

There was already an ice rink planned for that uncompleted building. But the chances of that ever being finished is next to zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Man, as a business student... I would just hope you realise that this is a near to impossible venture! Building and operating an ice rink isnt the same as opening a shop. This will cost millions of euros, will need years of planning andyou will need very wealthy backers. I suggest you study business at some level for a year or two before attempting to fight your way into the world.

Saying that it would be really cool to have a proper ice rink and i was so sad to see the last one stop! I wish you the best of luck but make sure you study every aspect of what your getting yourself into before you start spending money on plans, etc. Good luck man

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd second the idea of putting it out beside the Unigolf - as mentioned the cluster effect could be a great help.

Best of luck with this venture - I'd love to see you get it off the ground and would visit to support if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Think it would be a great hit - limerick teenagers badly need an activitiy like this. Location must be near good bus routes or walking distance of major bus routes. Price must be around the 10e mark I'd say - the price of this year's skating was way too high for many people to go more than once or twice. I can see school tours, kids birthday parties, work social gatherings all using this facility. Getting staff wouldn't be that hard surely - most people learn to skate relatively easily and theres hundreds of college students in the city for the part time work that nights and weekends would need servicing. Good luck with it.

separately, I see there is yet another application in for a cinema in the Ennis Road Retail Park - I'm guessing thats the area across from Dunnes Jetland. Good location - 20 mins walk from city centre and on bus route too. Hope the muppets in City Hall grant approval this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The site of the existing planned one near UL was the best option, a good club set up there would bring in some revenue, and get a few local teams off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Think u came up with a very good idea but you really need to put alot of planning into it especially first of all where its going to be you need a place where its going to be easy access to the whole of limerick and not just one side of town if ya get me.

Prices then not to charge like what they charge now for the ice rink its a disgrace but other than that its a really good idea and limerick would def benefit from it in the long run as there is not much for families or youngster to do at weeknights and weekend so would def benefit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Aw fantastic idea! if i was building it tho id have it as close to town as possible, the city developers are trying to focus more on town rather than suburbs so u might get a good rate there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

First of all, best of luck with this venture.

A skating shop, and a place to get skates sharpened is a must. Also, the zamboni should be used between each session - want to skate on ice, not snow :p. It is a huge investment financially - think rink in Charlestown in Dublin which opened in June, have now closed, partially due to mounting debt. Although I think part of the problem was that they priced it too high initially at €14. Also sessions of an hour can sometimes be too short - maybe slots of an hour-and-a-half would be a better option.

Would a membership option be feasible, that if you pay per annum, that would include so many skates in the cost, and a reduced cost (say 50% of the normal admission). It could be a way of encouraging people to practice.

Also, as someone who has taken figure skating lessons, it would be important maybe to have some sessions for figure skating practice (maybe even the early sessions on a Sat or Sun), as for the exams we have to be able to do things on both sides, and this is nearly impossible during busy public sessions.

Also, it would be worth your while contacting the ISAI www.isai.ie, as they may be able to advice you on coaches etc who are suitably qualified, if any, in the Limerick area.

It is looking likely a permanent rink is coming to Dublin later this year (probably April at the earliest), so keep your eyes out for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Sounds like a good idea if you could get it going as I have only see this type of thing over priced at Christmas. Might be worth putting together a business plan to get thinking about the costs and the market you will need one if you are applying for any funding. You can get free software that will put it all together for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 05evaughan

i live in limerick mate and there is big demand
    for an ice rink id love to do ice hockey and like alot of my mates
    would love it and lately there has been alot of talk as to why there isnt a
    permenant rink in limerick already

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I think it's a great idea! There is also an ice rink in Cork in supernova. Was down there last year,great fun. Maybe you could do something like that?
    http://www.supernova.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

please do not drag up old threads. thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement