Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wacken 2010 Line up, rate them pleace

Options
  • 09-01-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, the 2010 wacken line up is here Now I've heard of the more popular bands but I've no idea. I was wondering if you chaps could list your preferences and I'd like to get into some more metal in the run up to the festival starting with the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Holy shishkabob, W.A.S.P. are playing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Are they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

wow, Voivod. the legendary er.. cyber metal french-canadian quartet. my absolute favourites. Denis may be dead, but Blacky back on board. not that weird fag from WASP ;) .. christ a lot of boundaries broken back then in the '80s. Voivod had no option but to take it to space

a moment to appreciate Denis D'amour's (inter)stellar guitar, blacky's blower bass.. the drumming/artwork of Away.. the ultimate group imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XrfPMx1WQ

Star Bingo wrote: »
    wow, Voivod. the legendary er.. cyber metal french-canadian quartet. my absolute favourites. Denis may be dead, but Blacky back on board. not that weird fag from WASP ;) .. christ a lot of boundaries broken back then in the '80s. Voivod had no option but to take it to space

a moment to appreciate Denis D'amour's (inter)stellar guitar, blacky's blower bass.. the drumming/artwork of Away.. the ultimate group imho.

Put everything after the "v=" between these tags to embed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

alright thanks. didn't know wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Arch Enemt, Slayer, and Maiden? Nice. Planning on going to Hellfest, so most likely be broke after that :D so no Wacken for me (now, that just sounds bad :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Of the smaller bands a few definately worth checking out:

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Early stuff sounds like the first few Amon Amarth releases, and their later stuff is something (very loosely) along the lines of Ensiferum. Awesome live, seen them at Wacken a few years ago (one of my friends got knocked out during a jumping pit in Seeman, he was carried out by the guy who did it, was a complete accident)

Candlemass - Old school doom, haven't got their origional singer any more, but I seen this lineup at Day of Darkness in Co. Loais a few years back and they were AWESOME, so much power on stage, really worth checking out if you like doom.

Amorphis - Fairly big name, some kind of progressive thing going on, really REALLY impressive vocalist, even if you don't see them live pick up their album "Silent Waters", in a nutshell - awesome, also seen them at Wacken a few years ago

I'm definately going this year, stil haven't seen Maiden live!! Best chance I'll get (will be my third time in 2 years seeing Immortal too, great band! Awesome live)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Pugsley wrote: »
    Of the smaller bands a few definately worth checking out:

Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - Early stuff sounds like the first few Amon Amarth releases, and their later stuff is something (very loosely) along the lines of Ensiferum. Awesome live, seen them at Wacken a few years ago (one of my friends got knocked out during a jumping pit in Seeman, he was carried out by the guy who did it, was a complete accident)

Amorphis - Fairly big name, some kind of progressive thing going on, really REALLY impressive vocalist, even if you don't see them live pick up their album "Silent Waters", in a nutshell - awesome, also seen them at Wacken a few years ago

quote]

Totally Agree!! Bring on Immortal!! Cant wait to see Amorphis Agin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Karelian Isthmus was a good album but after that they went a bit too folky for my liking.

Maiden, Slayer and Immortal on a bill is always going to be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Where can one buy tickets for Wacken? Id love to go

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Where can one buy tickets for Wacken? Id love to go

http://www.metaltix.com/item_detail.php?item_nr=25378

There you go.
    The Karelian Isthmus was a good album but after that they went a bit too folky for my liking.
    Their style has changed considerably over the years, they moved away from the folky thing when they got Tomi Joutsen. His first album with them (Eclipse) wasn't that great, very simple guitar lines, and fairly unimaginative tracks in general, but they really got it right on Silen Waters.

Still have to get my hands on Skyforger though. Heard some of the tracks off it when they had the whole album on my space for free listens for a few days prior to release, didn't think much of it. Will have to get my hands on it and give it a few spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ghost Brigade, Amorphis, maybe Arch Enemy and Iron Maiden.

Wouldn't really be that pushed to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bands I'd love to see that are playing are 1349, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse (even though they can't play early material), Despised Icon, Immortal, Kampfar and Slayer. I might try getting to the next one of these, as I definately can't go this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Caved and bought my ticket today. Line up isnt bad imho.

Is that it finalised of might there be more announced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Immortal. That is all.

:D

Denny M wrote: »
    Cannibal Corpse (even though they can't play early material)
    Last time I seen the at Wacken in 2007 they did :) Corpsegrinder mentioned about the ban, can't remember if he said the ban was lifted or if they just ignored it? Was a while ago! But they put on a great show!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Last time I seen the at Wacken in 2007 they did :) Corpsegrinder mentioned about the ban, can't remember if he said the ban was lifted or if they just ignored it? Was a while ago! But they put on a great show!
    You're right, it was lifted, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Gojira just confirmed according the the Wacken website :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Star Bingo wrote: »

Is Jason still with them? And didn't Piggy die??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Of the 'smaller' bands there:

Edguy should be good although I'd prefer Avantasia to be playing.

Orphaned Land are fvcking brilliant on record so I'd be interested to see what they'd be like live.

Amorphis - quality band

Tiamat - as long as they play most of Wildhoney and The Sleeping Beauty, I'd be happy. (Just saw that they are playing Wildhoney in its entirety.)

Gojira - They'd be good to see live.

Voivod = Legends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Saw Voivod at Hellfest last year and they were terrible !

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Ryanair appear to have cancelled the Dublin - Bremen route. Only other feasible Ryanair option is Lubeck, which is a pain in the hole and out of the way, and they don't fly there on the Wednesday either.

Aer Lingus just stuck on a 20% off Europe sale, if you're planning on flying Aer Lingus I'd recommend booking soon! Sale ends midnight 22nd Jan.

Gojira - They'd be good to see live.
    Seen them last year at Hellfest, played a great set! The crowd reaction was pretty immense too, but I think thats because it was in France. A lot of French pride in Gojira, on our way there we had a stereo and was playing some music when we were travelling, and random French people would cheering at us everytime we put Gojira on. Not young metal looking folk either, among the oddest was a 50 odd year old janitor, and a mother with her kids when we were in La Rochelle (where we flew to).

Have been listening to the new AMorhpis album the last couple of days (Skyforger) have to stay I didn't like it the first few times, but it's really grown on me! Excellent album i have to say, especially the title track, such a powerful chorus! Will be good to see them live again.

Edit - Forgot to mention the Lubeck trip is no longer a big hassle, you can get a direct bus through metal travel. Found the link on the Wacken website, heres the time tables:
    http://www.metaltravel.de/?go=transferTimetable&lang=en
    2 buses per day from Lubeck to Wacken. Can also get a direct bus home, so no crazy rush to get onto one of the buses into town when you have a seat reserved on one of these buses. Downside is it's pretty expensive, €26 each way, but it is a very long bus journey and I think the hassle is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

U.D.O and Grave Digger would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roboto

yknaa wrote: »
    U.D.O and Grave Digger would be class.

both bands are already confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

Pretty much hate whoever is going! Would kill to see tyr live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Maiden, Arch Enemy, Edguy and Cooper! That already makes it better than last year for me =]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

It's an improvement on last year (which was shockingly bad!), but nothing amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Last year was worth it for the Saxon/Korpiklaani double team!

Advertisement