Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a 2010 Honda Civic 5dr (should I be worried)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I thought with the facelift the dsi was getting the power upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The i-DSi is the L13A straight from the Jazz... 8-valve sohc with 8 spark plugs.

The i-VTEC has the same block with 4 spark plugs and a 16-valve sohc head with valve deactivation, allowing it to run as a 12-valver, using a setup virtually identical to the VTEC-E system of old. This engine is also called L13A.

As they both use the same block, they're both the same displacment, 1339cc. Called "1.4" in the Jazz and Civic for marketing, and "1.3" in the Civic Hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    If the civic was designed by Honda (a Japanese company) to their specifications, then it's Japanese imo. It's mostly robots building them anyway so 'quality' doesn't suffer in that regard...

True enough. Interesting to note that in various JD Power and Top Gear reliability surveys, Honda always comes out at the top or very close to the top. No need to worry about the reliability or quality of a Honda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

jimmmy wrote: »
    and Top Gear reliability surveys, .

Id believe a Motoring article in The Sun, before Id believe anything with Top Gear on it.

kona wrote: »
    Id believe a Motoring article in The Sun
    What is The Sun's opionion? I don't read it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Just on the reliabilty query. See attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JHMEG wrote: »
    What is The Sun's opionion? I don't read it myself.

Apparantley cars have 4 wheels.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

jamiecall wrote: »
    Just on the reliabilty query. See attached
    And if you read the details of the Which report that that press release refers to, you'd find that the Honda Civic hatchback (the model that the original poster asked about) got this comment
    Notably, Japanese medium cars the Honda Civic (87%), Nissan Qashqai (87%) and Toyota Auris (86%) all disappointed in the new-car reliability rankings this year

And this is not the first time that the current generation Civic hatch has been criticised by Which magazine or others. See my earlier post

Why is it so hard for people to understand that just because Honda make some reliable cars and have made reliable cars in the past, doesn't mean that every current Honda model is reliable compared to competitors from other manufacturers. Also why is it also so hard for people to understand that just becasuse a 13 year old Starlet proved a reliable car, doesn't mean that every "Jap" car is.

When spending 20k + on a car, judging it mainly on:
    -the marque
    -the country of origin of the marque

Is pretty silly. Honda must be laughing at people willing to pay a huge premium for a Civic hatch because they assume it must be "bulletproof".

BrianD3 wrote: »
    And if you read the details of the Which report that that press release refers to
    Gives me the impression that they singled out the new car cos the old one was the most reliable in class, and overall the most reliable car was a Honda. Hence "disappointing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

Damien360 wrote: »
    He is setting his heart on the honda.

As he has his heart set on the honda, do a ring around of all the honda dealers and see what the best deal you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Damien360

OK,

I did a ring around and went in to a dealer today also.

All prices for 1.4 VTEC-SE-S 5 door with metallic paint and with scappage allowance.

O'Learys Cork - 20300
    Boylans Kildare - 20500
    Fox's Drogheda - 19600

Also quoted 23400 for the 2.2L diesel from Cork.

I had a long discussion by phone with one dealer about the scrappage allowance. I first asked for a cash price and was quoted 20200. I then said, now what if I had a scrapper car. He then said that would be 20500 (guess who). I pointed out, that surely the 1500 scrappage comes off the cash price of the car. He said no, it does not work like that. "Who do you think pays for the scrappage" he said. "I thought it was the government", I said. "No, the dealers and distributors part pay for this along with the government via VRT....How am I supposed to make a profit with a 9.5% margin on a 22600car." I left it at that and thanked him for his time.

Can someone explain the scrappage scheme from the point of view of a dealer. Are the dealers just swallowing a nice (albeit welcome) profit from this scheme. They bleeted on enough about the need for this and now seem to be riding the system. That I might add was just one dealer and I did'nt approach the subject with anyone else.

Judge's in Ballina and Kinane's in Roscrea have good names also. I would literally phone every dealer in the country tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

There is a new Honda dealer in Mullingar Kennan and Bauer

044 934 2400

I have nothing to do with them and have never bought anything from them just before anyone complains.

Advertisement