Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank You Weather Forum

Options
  • 09-01-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hope the mods will permit this.

Just wanted to say ta to Weather Forum and in particular its regular posters for the excellent information given over the past few days. Like many others I'm sure I hadnt been around here much before but have found the daily threads informative and entertaining with some excellent forecasting and explanations.

Well played all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

+1 Its been brilliant - the massive threads of banter, messing, weather forcasting, ****e talk, off topic nonsense has been the best thing the internet has ever produced & ive learned stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

+1

The information here is saving a lot of people a lot of hassle,stress and accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

+1 from me also.

Thanks so much for all the information regarding the upcoming weather. And thanks to all the other posters of this forum for the help, sharing and humour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

+ 1 more... I've really enjoyed following the threads here for the past few days. Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Thanks from me also. I'm heading back to Scotland tomorrow after (long)Christmas holidays so today was my last day making use of this forum, which has been excellent all the time. :)

I'll still follow it from a distance though, to compare snowfall between the two places! Hoping to go up the Highlands next weekend where there has been some serious snowfall, might take a few pictures and upload them on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Big thanks from me also. This forum has been invaluable this week. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Me too! Thanks so much.... I travel for work, and its been invaluable...

I have also learnt a lot and while I am no expert - at least I understand a bit more of whats happening and how and why its happening.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

+ eleventy, the weather boffins outgeeked even us IT types. Well played sir's, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

+ 1 more. Have been loving every minute of the discussions here, and truly appreciate the amount of time and effort that must go into the excellent forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Sometimes it's been a bit difficult to translate but I think I've finally sussed it.

As the regular posters are getting unhappy with weather events it means I'm getting happy.

At the risk of getting banned - as pretty as the snow is tonight I will be happy to see the back of all this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hazardous

+ over 9,000

Although, that said, I've done fcuk all work the last week thanks to following these threads!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

+1 on this sentiment.

I'm sure the regulars don't know what hit them, what with the influx of us these last few days.

Most gracious hosts.;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

+1, just a pity ye couldn't send us down some of that snow to Waterford, sorry Watercork

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ Vivian Steep Tribe

+1... really appreciate the informed debates which take place, even if I don't necessarily understand the terminology and the details of the conflicting positions. I've become conditioned to broadcast weather forecasts as being fait accomplis so it's refreshing and compelling to glimpse behind the scenes and follow the arguments on each side. Thanks to those who've taken the time to master the concepts and share their thoughts so freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Almost 260 people viewing this forum now and it's 2:30am. I think a lot of people trust the information given here over the information from Met Eireann.

+1 on the thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Thanks for all the sleepless nights: afraid to shut my eyes in case I missed the next big thing.

Thanks for all the up to date, practical and informative information which helped me and others on here to make safer decisions about driving and travelling in this weather.

Being in here is like having eyes and ears around the country, being able to see and hear whats happening as its happening.

These last few weeks have been an education, I learned loads of new words.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, you snow who you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I'm honoured... you're all very welcome. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Almost 260 people viewing this forum now and it's 2:30am. I think a lot of people trust the information given here over the information from Met Eireann.

+1 on the thanks.

This forum is great for following the weather around the country and getting all the latest views and trends but I don't like the Met eireann bashing element. My slant would be to say that it is complementary to Met eireann and all are striving to achieve the same goal which is to predict the correct weather and report on current weather conditions.

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 meccanoman303

+1

Me too, I have learned so much. My meagre addition of thanks seems so paltry.

Thanks again guys - you know who you are - virtually weather celebrities ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I just wanted to add that it has been a blast having so many boards members visiting our normally sleepy little forum (how many ways can you say partly cloudy with showers?) ... and don't forget we are here when something else interesting happens.

I agree on the met.ie issue, the boards weather forum "regulars" don't wish to antagonize anyone, in fact we are just interested in discussing the weather and offering up some forecasts, sometimes they are different and sometimes about the same. Getting into these in-depth discussions will perhaps give some insight into the difficulties and limitations that all forecasters face (so much depends on the accuracy of the models that we use and sometimes different models just show different results too).

Anyway, I don't think winter is over by any means, there will be plenty of active weather to come, so keep the weather forum bookmarked and certainly post your local weather obs in the regular thread for that (top of the page), it helps us more than you may suspect to get a handle on the details, because met.ie stations and even the other weather networks don't always tell all the local details.

So, the weather forum thanks you for visiting and participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

great Forum for the past few weeks. I will definately be dropping by more often.

I've been thinking, you folks do weather better than any other country (at least judging by the weather forums), I really enjoy the mix of information, banter, good humour (mostly) and celebration when some snow finally falls (or melts). And the pictures have been superb, love to see them all. Love some of the user names here too, hope some of them are not as accurate as mine.

It probably won't be a long time until I jump on a plane and head over for my second visit, now that I have a much better idea where to go. Back to my ceaseless search for weather ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've been thinking, you folks do weather better than any other country (at least judging by the weather forums), I really enjoy the mix of information, banter, good humour (mostly) and celebration when some snow finally falls (or melts). And the pictures have been superb, love to see them all.

It probably won't be a long time until I jump on a plane and head over for my second visit, now that I have a much better idea where to go. Back to my ceaseless search for weather ...

Thanks MT, and I think its fair to say that with your excellent forecast thread and your extra contributions whenever there is what passes for a weather event in these parts, well, the forum would not be the same without you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thanks MT, and I think its fair to say that with your excellent forecast thread and your extra contributions whenever there is what passes for a weather event in these parts, well, the forum would not be the same without you. :)

+1 - yeah a weather forum legend! always check your forecast in the morning. much more detailed(and reliable) than met eireann.

Also have to thank MT for the fantastic virtual tornado chase thread last year. Almost forgot about that but it was great fun and very educational.

Looking forward to following this years tornado season while the dream of a boards.ie great plains tornado chase tour edges closer...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres how i show my appreciation ,
    Just was converting some old vhs tapes to my computer and came across a younger jean byrne
    :D
    eaqcqv.jpg

Thanks, perhaps we can get a tornado added onto the menu for tomorrow, I think everything else is covered.

Pangea wrote: »
    Heres how i show my appreciation ,
    Just was converting some old vhs tapes to my computer and came across a younger jean byrne
    :D

Speaking of blasts from the past, anyone else remember this?
    Pre-Avonmore baby....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCn_iV8Rx94

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It;s been a roller coaster, exactly the same as last Feb. Well done to all.

Advertisement