Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Brake Rotor Recommendations

Options
  • 09-01-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I know this is mainly a road forum but still the odd MTBer or two so here we go anyway! I went out on the bike today and had a minor fall which resulted in a bent rotor. Best beyond repair I feel and it had been well used so I don't really mind. It's my first time replacing them so am looking for ideas and opinions. Its for a Giant XTC 3 with Giant's own brand hydraulic disc brakes but a light rider at 55kg so I will stick with 6-bolt 160mm I think which is what I already have and seems optimal for my style of riding. I usually get all my stuff online so had been looking at some of the following, please let me know what you would recommend me to get! Thanks in advance, I genuinely really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing back from you. Cheers! :wink:

(Please feel free to highlight others I have not mentioned as these are just a quick few I came across. Also, whats the story with the floating discs? Would you advise me to get them or stay away from them? Any additional purchases needed for compatibility issues?)

Avid Clean Sweep G2 @ €27.90
    Avid Clean Sweep G3 @ €27.90
    Shimano XT RT75 @ €22.31
    Shimano XT RT76 @ €30.12
    Hope Mono Mini/M4 @ €24.54
    Hope Mono Mini/M4 Saw @ €24.54

Thanks
    H:B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'd say you can't go wrong with the Shimanos, and they are the cheapest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭wotdef

I'd say the Avids are your best bet. Dont like the look of the Shimano, it looks very like the Deores I have and they are not good when wet. Am changing to SLXes. Hope seem to do very own brand specific stuff and I dont know what the floating bit is about, although on motorbikes a floating disc is one where the centre part is bolted to the wheel and the disc is a seperate part held by bolts that allows for some play if memory serves me correctly. Hope this is some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

+1 for xt rotors. Got new xt disc brakes after much research and the rotors were well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I think your putting too much thought into it. Its just a bleedin rotor. I've xt's and others but can't say I've noticed a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

gman2k wrote: »
    I'd say you can't go wrong with the Shimanos
    Gavin wrote: »
    +1 for xt rotors
    nomadic wrote: »
    I've xt's

Right so! Thanks for your help guys, it looks like a rotor doesn't make as much of a difference as I had thought it would. At the moment I am pretty much set on getting the XT's alright but I have just one more question for you before I click the order button. Would I be able to use the 170mm XT rotor instead of the 160mm which is what I already have front and back without having to buy anything new like calipers or different mounting brackets? I wonder would the Giant own brand (MPH Root) brakes be able to accept a range of rotor sizes such as this 10mm increase? I also realise a bigger rotor is often used on the front as it has more influence on the stopping power but the main reason I ask is because it is only €14.51 compared to €22.31...not a huge saving but every little helps! Thanks again, I really appreciate it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

My brother and I usually get pads and rotors from here http://www.discobrakes.com
    Using them for racing downhill and have had no problems so far.
    Free delivery too i think.

as for the 170mm rotor you would have to change the adapter. might as well go for 185mm if your doing that.
    don't need anything bigger for cross country . stick with the 160mm though if your happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

My brother and I usually get pads and rotors from here http://www.discobrakes.com
    Using them for racing downhill and have had no problems so far.
    Free delivery too i think.
    I got my last lot of pads off these lot aswell. There is stories of them falling apart after one ride on bikeradar but mine are grand so far. Can't beat the price anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If you are only doing standard xc, the XTs at 160mm are fine. FS DH rigs may need the 8" rotors but they are more prone to warping.
    I've the Shimanos in 6bolt and centre lock format and they are a great set of anchors... (matched to xtr calipers). They will lock up no problem on any surface, it's the locked up wheel you have to deal with!
    PS, great modulation with these brakes by the way, using dual control levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭boomdocker

i also buy rotors and pads from discobrakes. great value and i have never had issue with either their rotors or pads

Advertisement