Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd rather be reading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

The Desert Spear by Peter V Brett

A follow up to The Painted Man, I had forgotten a few details, so it took me a while to get into. Generally, very enjoyable, the brutal world of night demons is made worse as two men appear, at odds with each other, to be the promised messiah who will rid the world of these demons. Some aspects annoyed me a little, some of the world building was a little lazy, merely taking real world civilisations and transplanting them, other than that, a good read.

4/5

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

As may have become apparent, I am a big fan of Sanderson's, that said, this wasn't my favourite of his works. The magic system wasn't as well developed as in the Mistborn or Elantris books. But the characters were very appealing, and there was a good cheesy sense of humour running through the book that I liked a lot. As always, Sanderson does succeed in putting a new spin on the fantasy genre. I did find the conclusion a little unsatisfying though.

3.5/5

The Man of my Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

I picked this up because I had enjoyed Prep, sort of snarky teen novels written for adults, a bit of a guilty pleasure. This disappointed though, the main character, Hannah, was very similar to the protagonist in Prep, but much more annoying. She is shy and bitter and cruel to her sister and cousin. She wastes her young life believing only a man will make her happy, coming to a realisation only after 14 years of treading water. Could have been interesting if it explored more of the psychology behind Hannah's behaviour, her emotionally hostile father, her parent's messy divorce, her difficulties making friends - but it was more a life story than a consideration of any deeper issues.

1.5/5

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

I've enjoyed many of Kingsolver's books and her latest doesn't disappoint. The Lacuna recently won the Orange prize. It's a touching book, following the life of Harrison Shepherd, half Mexican, half American, yet belonging truly no-where. The book is made up of diaries, letters and a mix of faux and real newspaper articles. Yet the narrator is often strangely absent, as he keenly observes those around him and seems to regard his own actions as insignificant. There is a strong dramatic irony running throughout, as Shepherd befriends Frida Kahlo, Leon Trotsky, attracts the attention of the HUAC, he is unaware of the tragedies are awaiting him.

4.5/5

2666 by Roberto Bolano

I didn't enjoy this and it took forever to read - can't be bothered to add much more than that really.

• Advertisement

The Riddle by Alison Croggan

The second in the Pellinor series, this was very enjoyable - I enjoyed it more than the first. It's not mentally taxing, nor very original, but it is easy and just the remedy I was needing after 2666.

4/5

Possession by AS Byatt

Pretty good, got better as I read on - the narrative structure was a little annoying though, I have to admit I skimmed the long poems.
    3.5/5

Amo, Amas, Amat and all that by Harry Mount

I enjoyed this a lot, it's a lighthearted introduction to Latin, overviewing the grammar, history, common terms of Latin. Makes me want to dedicate some serious time to the language.

4/5

Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

The follow up to The Lies of Locke Lamora, this sequel is phenomenally good. At the heart of the book, amidst intrigue, cracking plot and sub-plots, is a touching friendship. I really enjoyed this, the only tiny bugbear was the confusing narrative sequence at the beginning.

4.5/5

46. Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

Considering this is often cited as a premier work of classic fiction, I'm fairly embarrassed to have to say I didn't particularly enjoy this. While the ideology discussed was interesting enough, the moral repugnancy of the central character appalled me (as I guess it was supposed to) and I did not really care what happened to him.
    Ultimately, the religious redemption disappointed me too.

2/5

47. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This was a great read. It's the story of African American domestic servants in the United States in the 1960s in Mississippi. The story is told from the perspective of two of the female servants and one white woman, who finds herself questioning the status quo. I read this in one sitting as I just could not put it down. An excellent insight into the race relations and relationship dynamic between two women in an unbalanced power dynamic.

5/5

• Advertisement

Confinement by Katharine McMahon

A light, but enjoyable read. The narrative is split between a modern woman's life, from girlhood at a private girl's grammar to her adulthood and career as a teacher, and a 19th century woman who taught at the school. It is an interesting story, of what it means to be teacher, a mother, a student.

4/5

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B Ross

This is a very gently written story of a widowed woman in the American south who finds her life altered when her late husband's illegitimate child is deposited on her doorstep. It was a nice, easy read, not much to it, but enjoyable.

3/5

The Children's Book by AS Byatt

This is an extraordinarily beautiful book. It spans a fertile historic period, the late Victorian era into the early twentieth century - the depth of research is evident, yet the historic detail is slipped in unobtrusively. The book opens with the meeting of a number of intertwined families meeting, their young children playing and the parents play-acting. The seemingly idyllic picture is explored as the children grow, their life plans at odds with their parents' ideas, and they are swept along by social change.

Astonishingly good, I'd recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it 5/5

The Alchemist's Daughter by Katharine McMahon

Just terrible

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Another excellent book by Kingsolver, more cheerful than many of her others too. Set in an Appalachian farming community, the book tells the story of intertwining characters, with a backdrop of an environmental message - inspired by Kingsolver's own career as an ecologist.

4.5/5

The Twin by Gerbrand Bakker

I'm not sure about this one, there were aspects of the book I enjoyed, but it was very depressing and while the concept was interesting I thought I could have been better explored.

2/5

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Mm, not too sure about this one - good in parts, fairly original tone for a fantasy book, and yet something about it wasn't quite doing it for me.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Tragic, poignant, lovely.

Cane River by Lalita Tademy

This was a good read, a fictionalised account of Tademy's female ancestors, focusing on those who were born into slavery, their horrific circumstances. A tale of the survival of human spirit in spite of the most oppressive treatment. Well worth reading, if not the most technically accomplished, it represents extraordinary research and the determination of a descendant to give a true account of her forebears.

3.5/5

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel

I've been reading this for weeks, taking breaks here and there, it's a huge tome of a book, and to be honest, just like Wolf Hall, I got sick of it towards the end. That said, it was definitely an interesting read. A historical account of three men's roles in the French revolution, the detail and insight you get from this book is phenomenal. I have to say, however, I found it hard to follow the enormous cast of secondary characters. Worth reading if you like historical fiction.

2.5/5

• Advertisement

And This Is True by Emily Mackie

To be honest I don't know what to write about this, it's a fairly disturbing book. It was on the bookshelf at home and I just picked it up. Essentially it's the story of extreme child neglect. A young boy (I'm not sure what age he's supposed to be, I thought about 14) who has been raised exclusively by his father in a travelling van, who has had no real contact with the outside world. The book is written from the boy's perspective, from the day his father moves them into a caravan outside a farmhouse and tries to reintegrate with the world. The disturbing part of the book is that the son has fallen in love with his father. It's really fairly graphic at times and very tragic. More than that, there's also a constant questioning of what is true, what is false, the truth of memory, which is quite interesting. I can't say I enjoyed reading the book, though it was certainly intriguing in ways

2/5

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

This was a mediocre fantasy book. I was pretty pissed off that a central plot line (which isn't revealed till the last chapter) is written on the cover of the book. The world building was also incredibly lazy. It's a sort of alternative Europe, the bad guys being extreme zealous Catholic monks, the outside world a variety of medieval Europe, crossed with Sparta or Ancient Rome. The female characters were completely one dimensional, actually, strike that, almost all the characters were one dimensional. Anyway, it was okay, went along at a decent pace, but left a fair bit to be desired.

2/5

Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon

This was a pretty excellent fantasy book. Great characters, cracking political intrigue, unpredictable plot, complex world building. Though I was a little disappointed when I realised it's a prequel, I hate reading the series in the wrong order, but nothing to be done now!

4/5

Player One by Douglas Coupland

Really enjoyed this one, a novel told over 5 hours as a group of people meet in an airport lounge bar.
    This is one of Coupland's apocalyptic books, reminded me a lot of My Girlfriend in a coma, I think Coupland does this very well, recognising both the extremes and practicalities of the situation.
    No one else I've read captures the 21st century lifestyle better than Coupland.

5/5

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Just a reread in anticipation of the latest book being delivered (hopefully today!)

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Long awaited but too soon finished, I really tried to read this slowly but didn't have more success. We return to the Wheel of Time for the 13th book, and while the book didn't disappoint, it didn't quite exceed my expectations either. I think it suffered a little of 'The Two Towers' problem. There was a lot of catching up with characters, a lot of setting up for the final book, and not quite enough of plot to sustain itself.

Some really nice elements, particularly enjoyed the whole theme of responsibility in leadership being developed, thought Perrin, Lan, Rand and Elayne really came into their own at last. A real sense of the teenage/youth years being left behind. Egwene frustrates me, I suppose I've always disliked the aura of superiority that the Aes Sedai project, but for all the talk of her successes, I think her judgement is often rather poor. Poor old Nynaeve didn't get much of a look in, but she'd had a good run in The Gathering Storm.

Really enjoyed the final scenes
    at which point they FINALLY make it to the Towers of Midnight
    , loved seeing Rand finally become the Dragon true, some really nice little touches here and there
    Brigitte's tale of her past life and attempt to reach the Eelfinn, Olver finally winning at Snakes and Foxes, Adviendha seeing her future descendants

So overall, a 4/5 - not quite there, but pretty darn good

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Much lauded at the moment, I was not disappointed by what I found in Franzen's latest novel. It is the story of a modern American family, more than that it is an exploration of contemporary American life and politics. Walter and Patty married out of college and had two children. Sounds simple? It's not. The book has some interesting narrative devices, non-linear structuring, switching voice to reset the storytelling. It delved into the relationship of parents with children and the impact it has over generations. The most rewarding aspect of the novel has to be its engagement with current American life. 9/11, Iraq, corruption, recession, we see it all through this family's perspective. In particular there is a recurrent theme of the Republican/Democrat divide, the bitterness of the division and its consequences for a nation, at both the wider and individual level.

The novel was not perfect, I thought there were pacing problems towards the middle and some of the situations seemed a little contrived. But mostly, a very good book.

4/5

Warrior by Jennifer Fallon

Next in the trilogy by Fallon, have to say I really enjoyed this - I couldn't put it down, the suspense created is really excellent, probably the best I've ever read in a fantasy novel. Good characterisation, not afraid to hold back with some fairly tragic consequences.

4.5/5

Warlord by Jennifer Fallon

Have to say, I'm really pleased to have discovered Fallon's books. Perfect for escapism when my head is in constant melt-down mode from college. This was an excellent ending to a really satisfying trilogy. Finally she really started delving into the morality of the world, the subjugation of women, the oppression of slaves. Plus there was the incredible political scheming, which was just extraordinary, probably the best I've read since GRR Martin.

5/5

• Advertisement

Before they are hanged by Joe Abercrombie

Have very little time to read at the moment with finals approaching - this was pretty good, a slow-burner.

Advertisement