Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Pants on the Luas/DART?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to see those people who'd be interested in taking part in the International No Pants Subway Ride 2010 in Dublin. It started in 2002 in New York City with seven people getting on the subway and removing their pants and proceeding to go about their normal daily ways (reading a newspaper, listening to music, talking to their friends etc.) except without any pants. This year they hope to make it an official International event and already have a list of cities worldwide taking part (including the London Underground). I thought it was a shame that Dublin has two perfectly suitable rail systems to do this on and yet we're not on the list!

I only heard about this today and the event takes place tomorrow. Although it's probably too late to make this a widespread Dublin thing this year, I'm curious to see who'd be willing to take part in a similar event next year? :)

Also, here's a video of the New York City event in 2009:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9La40WwO-lU

Aaron.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

It's probably not the weather for trying that tomorrow, to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Ha!! It's so random!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

What would be the reason behind doing such a thing?.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Would be class but can't see it happening. :rolleyes:

Id do it for the wimmin.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

DubMedic wrote: »
    What would be the reason behind doing such a thing?.

It's for the hilarity factor. Several people all in the same railcar wearing no pants yet acting completely oblivious to this fact.

And about the weather, they purposely do it in winter for this very fact - the unsuitability of wearing no pants in the cold. It's negative degrees in New York City tomorrow as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It sounds absolutely pathetic to me.

A bunch of desperate exhibitionists hijacking an unwitting unwilling audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It sounds absolutely pathetic to me.

A bunch of desperate exhibitionists hijacking an unwitting unwilling audience.
    +1

Sad , sad people.

(And why refer to trousers as "pants"? It sounds so stupid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

The term "Only in America..." comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

• Advertisement

It was started in NYC as a way to highlight the taboo of not wearing pants (or "trousers", if you insist...) and to capture what the public reaction would be to a mass number of people simultaneously (and inexplicably) not wearing any at the same time. You're supposed to keep a straight face while doing it and not to make a big scene.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It was started in NYC as a way to highlight the taboo of not wearing pants (or "trousers", if you insist...)

the 'taboo' of not wearing pants? you must be freaking kidding me, no-one gives a flying feck if your nads are freezing. The reason they don't do it in summer is not for the hilarity, it's because no-one would actually notices as most of new york isn't wearing 'pants' in the summer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I dont want to see some knacker on the luas redline dropping trousers...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought this meant no drawers and the prospect of danglies in my face.
    No trousers? Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

'Hilarious'? Really? I suppose if you're a 16 year old schoolboy it might appear funny. The funniest bit would be watching same person/people hopping around trying to get back into their pants/trousers without looking complete idiots ... ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

some things just dont suit dublin and this is one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I tried to take part in this in NYC two years ago.

Turns out that 'no underwear' + 'no pants = 'no permission to travel on subway' + 'arrest'.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I tried to take part in this in NYC two years ago.

Turns out that 'no underwear' + 'no pants = 'no permission to travel on subway' + 'arrest'.

Dude, you're supposed to wear underwear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sounds like pants to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

*d4 accent* seriously gois, loike what the fock? thats loike totally scobe tactics roight there loike. fock sake!

typical modern dublin mentality the-rigger, you people have completely lost your sense of humour. I would jump at the chance of joining in on this one. looks like great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

When you hop off the Luas take a walk down that alley beside the George see how you get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pointless

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Lighten up people!
    Pointless you say...what a crap world it would be if everything we did had to have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

how about fixing the "taboo" of not showering? smelly bastids. ever stuck beside the smelly fooker on a packed carriage? If he was trouserless but didn't stink then by all means go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's disgusting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

EF wrote: »
    When you hop off the Luas take a walk down that alley beside the George see how you get on ;)

Why are there a lot of rogue leg-waxxers down there or something? :confused:

Oh wait I just got it, all gays are rapists, aren't they?

Forgot that. Yeah, good one. Nice use of homophobia there.

Also the LUAS doesn't stop anywhere near the George (just to ruin your 'joke').

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

It was just featured on the 1p.m news . Looks like us Irish weren't too brave to try it out in sub zero temperatures. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

EF wrote: »

no need for this type of tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

aido179 wrote: »
    *d4 accent* seriously gois, loike what the fock? thats loike totally scobe tactics roight there loike. fock sake!

What has D4 got to do with this?
    typical modern dublin mentality the-rigger,

Thanks.
    I would jump at the chance of joining in on this one. looks like great fun.

Yea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If it had a purpose then maybe ye, charity or something like that.

Advertisement