Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1k for a corolla?

• 09-01-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Folks

While I'm rebuilding the diesel fuel system on my car, I am sick of being without so I'm wondering if I'd be safe spending 1k on a corolla?

There are a few on carzone around that price, all 100,000+ miles, 1999-2000, verying nct etc. I just need a car to be reliable and not cost anything in repairs.

reliable reliable reliabe

wise? no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

No need to spend 1k on corolla you could pick up a late model 97 1.3 xli corolla for 700 or less and they are very reliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

How would I know that I'm not buying a lemon tho? I'm not that great mechanically. I'm terrified that buying a car for 700-1000 - the car might be dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not being funny, but if you are capable of rebuilding the fuel system for your current car you must be able to check over another with a degree of reliability.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

dnme wrote: »
    How would I know that I'm not buying a lemon tho? I'm not that great mechanically. I'm terrified that buying a car for 700-1000 - the car might be dodgy

Try to get one with an NCT that has been owned by the same person for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

buy a 97-98 with a new nct

• Advertisement

Well i come from a family who have all toyotas and there all reliable! a good corolla can be picked up for small money due to them been so comman! the 1.3 xli ones are the cheapest to buy repair ect.. one thing to look out for is a car with history if its got history all the better!

just make sure it drives fine and there is no dodgy sounds rattles ect coming from the front if there isnt then your safe!

they go forever and take loads of abuse!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Not being funny, but if you are capable of rebuilding the fuel system for your current car you must be able to check over another with a degree of reliability.......

ahh, not actually doing the work myself you understand,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

88 Corolla 1.3 with NCT to 2012 on donedeal for €650, insure it on a classic policy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ahh, not actually doing the work myself you understand,

Aah, but you said ......... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Very wise OP.

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote: »
    88 Corolla 1.3 with NCT to 2012 on donedeal for €650, insure it on a classic policy;)

The alloys are just wrong however.

Yea the alloys are awful and I reckon they are the work of a boy racer, plus they dont mention milage.

Now, what do you think about this puppy
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/LX/200953196381415/advert?channel=CARS

Yea the alloys are awful and I reckon they are the work of a boy racer, plus they dont mention milage.

Now, what do you think about this puppy
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/LX/200953196381415/advert?channel=CARS

Front bumper fitted at some stage but for €500 and nct'd for 17 months it looks good.

agreed, they look sh1te on it

Full?id=2265232

agreed, they look sh1te on it

Full?id=2265232

Right then , its official :D

Front bumper fitted at some stage but for €500 and nct'd for 17 months it looks good.

Frankie, front bumper fitted ?? how do you know

back bumper is colour coded, front is unpainted

As a 96 it should be colour coded and if you look closely in the picture you will see that the back bumper is green. But considering it is NCT'd and available nice and cheap I would not be too worried if it had a small bang somewhere along the line.

back bumper is colour coded, front is unpainted

jayzez, god bless your eyesight! I cant tell, theres a glare from the sun at the rear of the car.

Guys, what do you think o fhtis car?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/200953196374481/advert?channel=CARS

I'm thinking resellable, and its in Galway which is where I'm at (with no car)

jayzez, god bless your eyesight! I cant tell, theres a glare from the sun at the rear of the car.

A bit rough looking and high mileage, €1300 looks a bit steep imo.

• Advertisement

that blue one seems right on the money and not big millage either!

james1410 wrote: »
    that blue one seems right on the money and not big millage either!

James, I'm really struggling to trust that millage tho ???

been 97 that ones likely a plus model which had cetral locking as standard and white guages

might be some room for a bit of haggling! you may get it for around 800

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1096979

what about this one looks clean to!

How long will it take to repair your diesel?
    stick 3 months tax on this baby, and travel in style ;)

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Panzer tank for a grand

Looks nice and would be very easy to sell on. I'd rather them than the later model in terms of the interior and the general feel.

Panzer tank for a grand

Being a mature student, my back is literally to the wall as far as money is concerned. So I may well sell the diesel once I get in into good motoring order (I am gonna have to get my money back on it) and keep the corolla. Thats why I am desperately seeking a car that will not let me down over th enext couple of years.

As a 96 it should be colour coded and if you look closely in the picture you will see that the back bumper is green. But considering it is NCT'd and available nice and cheap I would not be too worried if it had a small bang somewhere along the line.

i think the rear bumper on it is not colour coded i could be wrong but im pretty convinced it isnt xli corolla's did come with out colour coded bumpers up till 97 i think it was an option to have the bumpers colour coded it was standard on the last of them the plus models and on sport versions.

regarding millage on the blue one it could be correct or not but if the car drives well then there should be notting to worry about! ive seen some of these clock up over 350.000 and still go strong! the 16v efi is one strong engine! my cousin also uses a 95 corolla van with 2.0 diesal and it is the most reliable car ive ever come accross and he uses it for every thing its always fully loaded in the rear but still pulls along like there notting!

i think the rear bumper on it is colur coded i could be wrong but im pretty convinced it isnt xli corolla's did come with out colour coded bumpers up till 97 i think was option to have the colour coded it was standard on the last of them the plus models and on sport versions.

All corolla's from 96 on were colour coded, I'm 100% sure.:)

• Advertisement

Being a mature student, my back is literally to the wall as far as money is concerned. So I may well sell the diesel once I get in into good motoring order (I am gonna have to get my money back on it) and keep the corolla. Thats why I am desperately seeking a car that will not let me down over th enext couple of years.

Corolla's probably a safe bet but also consider a 99/00 Focus, or a late Starlet

Corolla's probably a safe bet but also consider a 99/00 Focus, or a late Starlet

Good advice. Mazda 323s and non boy racer Civics also.

I think after reading your considered and valued opinions I am gonna try the following...

1. I'll offer 800 on this and try my best to get it for that.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/200946195859033/advert?channel=CARS

2. If that fails, I'll consider this but I'll quiz him about any minor (or major) crashes

All corolla's from 96 on were colour coded, I'm 100% sure.:)

well maybe some 96 ones didnt have colour coded bumpers as i had a 2 door coupe without colour coded bumpers but im pritty sure that blue one has none colour coded bumpers!

well maybe some 96 ones didnt have colour coded bumpers as i had a 2 door coupe without colour coded bumpers but im pritty sure that blue one has none colour coded bumpers!

Why dont ye have a wager on it? I'll referee and adjudicate if I go and see the car :D

im tempted! but i need every penny i can get lol! but i will gladly except been wrong if it is a colour coded one!

heres another to consider but might be a bit boy racerish! and its in galway

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1057222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

I think after reading your considered and valued opinions I am gonna try the following...

2. If that fails, I'll consider this but I'll quiz him about any minor (or major) crashes

thev first one in elite autos the guy in the john deere garage probaly has the s...te driven out of it.
    he sells all modified cars and probally took it as a trade.

im tempted! but i need every penny i can get lol! but i will gladly except been wrong if it is a colour coded one!

heres another to consider but might be a bit boy racerish! and its in galway

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1057222

sweet mother of jesus !

mossfort wrote: »
    thev first one in elite autos the guy in the john deere garage probaly has the s...te driven out of it.
    he sells all modified cars and probally took it as a trade.

mossfort

1. What John Deere garage? Why would garage owner drive the life out of it?
    2. How do you know this is a modified car?
    3. Surely all cars of that age would have been taken as a trade?

sweet mother of jesus !

yeah it does seem a bit much in modifications and them alloys look very cheap! if you lost the big front spots and stuck some nice alloys on or steel wheels it wouldent look bad!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

mossfort

1. What John Deere garage? Why would garage owner drive the life out of it?
    2. How do you know this is a modified car?
    3. Surely all cars of that age would have been taken as a trade?
    the guy who runs elite autos his father owns the john deere garage near headford.
    its mostly highly modified cars he sells so you know they are bought to be driven and what was traded in for them will be usually well pushed.
    it might be a good car but just be careful to check it out properly.

• Advertisement

the guy who runs elite autos his father owns the john deere garage near headford.
    its mostly highly modified cars he sells so you know they are bought to be driven and what was traded in for them will be usually well pushed.

thanks for the tip fella, just goes to show the power of the internet and a bit of local knowledge eh.

Can I ask fellas, how do the experts go about this? what should I be looking out for in particular?

as i siad in a previous post rattle and bangs mainly if there is rattles from the front it can be worn front drives/wisbone nocking just make sure the car drives well goes in and out of each gear fine without any scraping ect..

and check if every thing works in the car along with lights! these are queit a simple car so if any thing breaks even a novice can replace the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Enlarge the pictures on that silver corolla! It has panel damage around the back door on the driver side and and on the passenger side front door. Also the bumper is mis aligned on the driver side and the parking light is not in line with the headlight. I wouldnt even look at that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

As a 96 it should be colour coded and if you look closely in the picture you will see that the back bumper is green.

As much as I look at that snap again and again it would very much appear to me as if that back bumper is a black one. I do think it is a hell of a lot of car for the money though assuming it is in reasonable condition. Motoring does not get much cheaper than this nowdays.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Enlarge the pictures on that silver corolla! It has panel damage around the back door on the driver side and and on the passenger side front door. Also the bumper is mis aligned on the driver side and the parking light is not in line with the headlight. I wouldnt even look at that car.

well spotted kermitpwee, I may give this one a miss considering this and previous posts, many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The car is fine, don't worry about it. That is obviously a '95 model as the back bumper isn't colour coded from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Panzer tank for a grand

Granted a nice car but with a 2.9 litre engine and road tax to be paid its not really going to be suitable for a student budget me thinks and thats assuming that the car doesn't need any work done to it now or in the near future.:)

True, true but I posted it up before I knew about the financial circumstances and that the car has to last a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Holy sh1t:eek:. Neighbours 98 one rightly went for €500 last week. What kind of fool would buy this piece?

• Advertisement
Advertisement