Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1k for a corolla?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

My problem is that I live in rural Galway currently without a car, so getting to view a car is a big deal. Thats why I'm trying to find a car in Galway / West.

Also, I am finding it impossible to find corollas priced at the kind of money you guys are talking about apart from the one in Meath (which I cant get to). The norm seems to be €900 - €1600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some black bumper Corollas were still around in 96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

from the Galway Advertiser, phone number is on the website classifieds

1.'99 FIESTA, 1.25l Zetec, 3dr, hatchback, green, NCT 01/11, powersteering, cl, electric windows, fully serviced, €980

Blue850, many thanks, may be a tad small to, I'm 6'5"and I look like that tall guy in the Simpsons when I am in a small car :D

Guys

what do you think of this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1069890

yeah, go for it, looks good value and has NCT

colm_mcm wrote: »
    yeah, go for it, looks good value and has NCT

Is it worth the price tho? would an offer of 1k be an insult or about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

squod wrote: »
    Holy sh1t:eek:. Neighbours 98 one rightly went for €500 last week. What kind of fool would buy this piece?

It depends though squod. There is little point saying €x is a good or a bad price for a 98 corolla. All depends on condition, how its driving, if NCT'd, tyres, timing belt or other expensive job(s) needing done to it. Not saying it was but your neighbours one may have being out of NCT, tyres and timing belt need replacing, needing serviced and a cracked windscreen. So hence €500 may have being reasonable. For the one thats linked to you would be very very very hard pushed to find a similar one for €500. Just do a search and you will see....be careful to compare like with like though....Just because you see another 98 corolla going for €500 does not automatically mean one in ad is way overpriced. Look at what you would need to spend on it to bring it up to condition of one you see in ad;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

dnme wrote: »
    Blue850, many thanks, may be a tad small to, I'm 6'5"and I look like that tall guy in the Simpsons when I am in a small car

:D good job I didn't post up the Seat Arosa on donedeal so...

Add for the Corolla is 6 weeks old, could be bought cheap if he still has it.

also from last weeks Advertiser

7.'99 FORD Focus hatchback, 1.4l, 5dr, silver, NCT 09/11, taxed, new wheels, immaculate condition, sunroof, €1,400ono

I'm in Galway too looking for new wheels... a lazy starter motor and this weather means I'm jump starting my wreck every morning to get to work:rolleyes:

Guys

Been txt'ing the guy, he says bro in law services the car but he is unsure when timing belt was last done. should I be worried? How would you play this?

• Advertisement

Is it worth the price tho? would an offer of 1k be an insult or about right?

I wouldn't walk away if they insisted on 1150 or so.

Re - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1069890

I just asked him again if he could find out when timing belt was done, his reply was this
    Think you may be better off going to a sales room. Its a private sale, I dont question what he does to the car when I give it to him

Referring to his bro in law who services the car... all I did was ask when timing belt was last done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It depends though squod. There is little point saying €x is a good or a bad price for a 98 corolla. All depends on condition, how its driving, if NCT'd, tyres, timing belt or other expensive job(s) needing done to it. Not saying it was but your neighbours one may have being out of NCT, tyres and timing belt need replacing, needing serviced and a cracked windscreen. So hence €500 may have being reasonable. For the one thats linked to you would be very very very hard pushed to find a similar one for €500. Just do a search and you will see....be careful to compare like with like though....Just because you see another 98 corolla going for €500 does not automatically mean one in ad is way overpriced. Look at what you would need to spend on it to bring it up to condition of one you see in ad;)

The car was in ok nick, a little bumped here and there one year nct, just serviced, tyres had a good bit of life in them. People will someday have to realise that some cars out there really aren't worth the money. You're right about that. €1300 for a 98 corolla is absolutely rediculous money. No fool in the world could fall for that, or at least very few fools.

The car was in ok nick, a little bumped here and there one year nct, just serviced, tyres had a good bit of life in them. People will someday have to realise that some cars out there really aren't worth the money. You're right about that. €1300 for a 98 corolla is absolutely rediculous money. No fool in the world could fall for that, or at least very few fools.

Fact of the matter remains though squod that you will be very hard pushed to find a 1998 corolla in reasonably good order and without needing a major amount of work for €500 or even under a grand for that matter so if somebody is looking for a relaible car such as the Toyota of around this vintage they may have no choice but to pay that kind of money whether you or indeed they agree thats what its worth or not.

My own personal thought is that the corolla such as that in the ad may well stand its owner the thick end of the money they are looking for if they put the work in recently that they mentioned....Serviced, four tyres fitted a timing belt fitted and bushings...what with the rates mechanics charge also. If its something you don't like about Toyota in particular I would personally rather pay the €1,300 for it than a hell of a lot of other 98 cars priced at that and higher and would probably end up costing you a hell of a lot more over the next year or so. It may not be the nicest looking yoke in the world but it will get the job done in an efficient manner and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg if reasonably cared for in the past which I'm sure are the OP's priorities.

Something is up with my carzone search so that I can't bring up more than 10 cars for a make and model for a particular year but doing a search for 98 corolla's on the site the 10 most expensive are at or above 2k and there are only 19 corolla's of that year on it.

Re - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1069890

I just asked him again if he could find out when timing belt was done, his reply was this
    Think you may be better off going to a sales room. Its a private sale, I dont question what he does to the car when I give it to him

Referring to his bro in law who services the car... all I did was ask when timing belt was last done

Should I be worried about this ?

Fact of the matter remains though squod that you will be very hard pushed to find a 1998 corolla in reasonably good order and without needing a major amount of work for €500 or even under a grand for that matter so if somebody is looking for a relaible car such as the Toyota of around this vintage they may have no choice but to pay that kind of money whether you or indeed they agree thats what its worth or not.

My own personal thought is that the corolla such as that in the ad may well stand its owner the thick end of the money they are looking for if they put the work in recently that they mentioned....Serviced, four tyres fitted a timing belt fitted and bushings...what with the rates mechanics charge also. If its something you don't like about Toyota in particular I would personally rather pay the €1,300 for it than a hell of a lot of other 98 cars priced at that and higher and would probably end up costing you a hell of a lot more over the next year or so. It may not be the nicest looking yoke in the world but it will get the job done in an efficient manner and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg if reasonably cared for in the past which I'm sure are the OP's priorities.

Something is up with my carzone search so that I can't bring up more than 10 cars for a make and model for a particular year but doing a search for 98 corolla's on the site the 10 most expensive are at or above 2k and there are only 19 corolla's of that year on it.

Nothin' against corollas, but €1300! C'mon, seriously. Just because many people are over pricing them, doesn't make it right! Good luck to the OP with the search. I can appreciate the difficulty etc. There's a weekly magazine called local trader, give that a try. Or a copy of buy & sell.

• Advertisement

Should I be worried about this ?

The fella genuinely might not know. Some people write the milage at which the timing belt was done on the cover or beside the belt. You could ask him to have a look under the bonnet for you.

The fella genuinely might not know. Some people write the milage at which the timing belt was done on the cover or beside the belt. You could ask him to have a look under the bonnet for you.

How often should the timing belts be done on these ?

or

how can I check the health of the existing timing belt?

they're every 60000 miles, and there's no way of telling if one's about to go. you can check it visually, but that's not a guaruntee of anything.

My feeling is on a €1k car it doesn't make sense to spend €300 on a timing belt whether or not it may go.

they're every 60000 miles, and there's no way of telling if one's about to go. you can check it visually, but that's not a guaruntee of anything.

My feeling is on a €1k car it doesn't make sense to spend €300 on a timing belt whether or not it may go.

Colm, are you saying risk it? Is it not the case that if the timing belt goes, the engine is f'd? Would you buy the car and just drive it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Corollas are free wheeling engines which means if the timing belt breaks no damage to the engine occurs. I've never heard of one breaking anyway and I've come across one where they have done well over 100k without being changed.

€1300 fora 98 one is over the top however.

• Advertisement

Corollas are free wheeling engines which means if the timing belt breaks no damage to the engine occurs. I've never heard of one breaking anyway and I've come across one where they have done well over 100k without being changed.

€1300 fora 98 one is over the top however.

Frankie,
    I've spent the weekend trawling the web, carzone, donedeal, google etc. 1300-2000 is the going rate on line at least for all corollas post 97 to 99. I have looked at about 200 corolla ads in the past 24 hours. Even a lot of the previous mark (94-97 or whatever) are asking 1200+ I've gotta conclude that if so many ads are at that money, that must reflect some segment of the market.

I know I'm no expert and I bow to the knowledge of many of you here but that has been my experience.

How about mitsubishi carismas? Any of those around. I suspect that they're as reliable and available within your budget. Anyone got opinions on those I wonder.

1250 for a 98 isn't outrageous.

Some people don't believe any Corolla is worth anything.

I'm going for a Corolla squod

Everyone I've ever met has told me how reliable they are. Bullet prof, and from my experience this weekend, I'll get my money back on it in a year or two. They are #1 for reliability on every review, every top 10.

Mind made up, totally

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

I'm going for a Corolla squod

Everyone I've ever met has told me how reliable they are. Bullet prof, and from my experience this weekend, I'll get my money back on it in a year or two. They are #1 for reliability on every review, every top 10.

Mind made up, totally

Well they werent voted best car in the world for notting! and biggest selling at that! did you enquire about the 96 one? there is a good few corollas overpriced at the moment (people desperate for money) but believe me keep looking and you will find a good one for 700 or less!

also on an other note the model 93-97 was also voted best corolla as they seem to be the toughest of them! another model to consider is the carina also as reliable but with more luxerys!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1088788

and this altough not much nct left on it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1076607

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Folks

While I'm rebuilding the diesel fuel system on my car, ...

should =

While I'm having the diesel fuel system on my car rebuilt,..

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    should =

Zeek, let it go already, time to pick up the pieces and move on :D

How about mitsubishi carismas? Any of those around. I suspect that they're as reliable and available within your budget. Anyone got opinions on those I wonder.

An absolute dog of a car to drive. Well the one I drove once anyway. Drove a friends onE once and the handling was absolutely cack, wallowy and not very surefooted at all...think it was a 1998 or 99 as I recall. Would far rather the feel of a corolla/ carina/ avensis.

Squod could you provide me with a link to a car or indeed cars that would be comparable to the Toyota in terms of known reliability, work done, NCT, mileage and at a much more reasonable price as you mention. Not saying there not there but if they are I sure as hell can't find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Blue850, many thanks, may be a tad small to, I'm 6'5"and I look like that tall guy in the Simpsons when I am in a small car :D

Guys

Very_Tall_Man.jpg

:pac:

Ahem!

Yes - I'd recommend a Mitsubishi Lancer from the 96-99 era. Bought mine to save some money in 08. Not a bother with them. (Unintentionally) drove for a week with fumes of oil in it and it still didn't die..!

here:

Mazda 323, statistically more reliable than the Corolla of that generation.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3S-/200944195695940/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/201001196472436/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/1.3--GLS/201001196486819/advert?channel=CARS

downside is parts are a little more expensive. also will be harder to sell as Mazda don't have as big a fanbase as Toyota

• Advertisement

Not saying there not there but if they are I sure as hell can't find them.

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/image_preview?pid=1237749

I can appreciate the OPs difficulties, like I said local trader, buy & sell etc.
    the handling was absolutely cack, wallowy and not very surefooted at all...think it was a 1998 or 99 as I recall. Would far rather the feel of a corolla/ carina/ avensis.

I don't think anyone buys corollas for their handling.

http://cars.buyandsell.ie/search/image_preview?pid=1237749

I can appreciate the OPs difficulties, like I said local trader, buy & sell etc.

OK fair enough and I'd be a bigger fan of that model corolla myself as think its a somewhat more solid car car the model which went on to replace it but having said that not an awful long NCT left on it at this stage and a very limited description provided in ad. No mileage or other pretty relevant details supplied. Fair enough we don't know for definate but if I were a betting man I would say a pound to a penny it will need some work done for NCT. If it needs tyres, timing belt and a few other bits and pieces I'm sure you can appreciate how the costs can mount up. The difference of 650 quid wouldn't be too long evaporating

I don't think anyone buys corollas for their handling.

Haha I'd imagine not but having said that I've drove a hell of a lot worse in that regard the carisma being one certainly worth noting. The difference here is the corolla goes where you ask it to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

james1410 wrote: »
    Well they werent voted best car in the world for notting! and biggest selling at that! did you enquire about the 96 one? there is a good few corollas overpriced at the moment (people desperate for money) but believe me keep looking and you will find a good one for 700 or less!

also on an other note the model 93-97 was also voted best corolla as they seem to be the toughest of them! another model to consider is the carina also as reliable but with more luxerys!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1088788

and this altough not much nct left on it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1076607

I would not be too tempted by a Carina E for the op. They can be troublesome and you really need to know what your looking for. The butterfly spindle on the throttle body causes a lot of problems on them and cleaning it doesnt resolve it. The lambda sensors go on them and spurious replacements dont work. Also the injectors go on them. If you know what your looking for then they are ok to buy, but I dont think they are for the novice buyer. The mk1 Avensis although dearer is a way better car. The throttle body has been changed on it.

here:

Mazda 323, statistically more reliable than the Corolla of that generation.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX-1.3S-/200944195695940/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/201001196472436/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/1.3--GLS/201001196486819/advert?channel=CARS

downside is parts are a little more expensive. also will be harder to sell as Mazda don't have as big a fanbase as Toyota

I used to have one, it gave me absolutely no bother at all but I would still think a Corolla would be slightly better built. That engine was known to burn oil which mine did a fair bit but other than that an excellent car.

I'm going to look at this tomorrow
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1093566

Seller tells me that
    1 owner
    milage: 121k
    Timing Belt: done at 105k
    Is Mechanically Sound:
    NCT (just passed - 7/10) dur to car being off road for a while
    2 new shocks at back
    new shocks were put on front year ago
    new wheel bearing
    new clutch 4 years ago

opinions?

looks like a winner. whereabouts are you located yourself?

seems good! lights arent the best on them but other wise a very good car.

looks like a winner. whereabouts are you located yourself?

Im near Athenry Colm

james1410 wrote: »
    seems good! lights arent the best on them but other wise a very good car.

Pretty used to that, lights on my Megave were never great either,

• Advertisement

opinions?

Certainly looks good on paper dnme and for the money.Try to knock a few quid off for yourself too. Most sellers allow for a bit of haggling in their asking price.

Certainly looks good on paper dnme and for the money.Try to knock a few quid off for yourself too. Most sellers allow for a bit of haggling in their asking price.

no fear John, I'm good at that :pac:

no fear John, I'm good at that :pac:

Good stuff dnme! Your a man after my own heart so:)

Seller tells me that
    1 owner
    Is Mechanically Sound:
    2 new shocks at back
    new wheel bearing
    new clutch 4 years ago

opinions?

Looks good, best of luck with it.

Seller tells me that
    1 owner
    Is Mechanically Sound:
    2 new shocks at back
    new wheel bearing
    new clutch 4 years ago

opinions?

Right, deal done, bought it today, instured it there and then and drove it home. Got it for 880. It seems very solid, no knocking, responsive steering and clean throughout. Fingers crossed

Brilliant, delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Folks

While I'm rebuilding the diesel fuel system on my car, I am sick of being without so I'm wondering if I'd be safe spending 1k on a corolla?

There are a few on carzone around that price, all 100,000+ miles, 1999-2000, verying nct etc. I just need a car to be reliable and not cost anything in repairs.

reliable reliable reliabe

wise? no?
    I have a 00 i got for the same reason as yourself and its now my main car!! 125k and seems indestructable! I would be tempting fate if i got rid of it!!! The only problem i ever had was a break in!!!

Right, deal done, bought it today, instured it there and then and drove it home. Got it for 880. It seems very solid, no knocking, responsive steering and clean throughout. Fingers crossed

Well done to get her for that! best of luck with her!;)

folks

Apologies for ressurecting this thread, I wonder if you might be able to guide me though?

The stereo that came with the corolla is one of those cheap LIDL jobs. Its grand and I love it but, it looses its presets when I switch off the ignition. It has a detachable front under which there is a CD player. I wonder does it need a battery to keep its memory alive? cant fint anything on the net about that though.

Another thing I notice is that the clock on the dash in the car also looses its time when I switch off ignition for a few minutes. It resets to 1:00

Is this a simple problem to fix? Can I do anything to fix it?

Pics of beloved stereo attached

attachment.php?attachmentid=102765&stc=1&d=1263657633

attachment.php?attachmentid=102766&stc=1&d=1263657640

attachment.php?attachmentid=102767&stc=1&d=1263657648

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Make sure the pink wire is going to a permanent 12v+ supply.

Looks to me like they're both just poorly taped together, and fed from the accessory supply.

Make sure the pink wire is going to a permanent 12v+ supply.

Looks to me like they're both just poorly taped together, and fed from the accessory supply.

Is there not just one supply from the battery then?
    What about the built in dashboard clock resetting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement