Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1k for a corolla?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Permanent, as in on even when the ignition is off, in order to retain the radio memory.

The clock should also have a permanent supply, a switched one, and a dim function from the lighting, if it's like most other cars.

Pink and red are joined together, like I say. That's your problem. If whoever wired the stereo left the permanent feed flapping about in there without taping it, that may have blown the fuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Permanent, as in on even when the ignition is off, in order to retain the radio memory.

The clock should also have a permanent supply, a switched one, and a dim function from the lighting, if it's like most other cars.

Pink and red are joined together, like I say. That's your problem. If whoever wired the stereo left the permanent feed flapping about in there without taping it, that may have blown the fuse.

OK Rev, so pink should go to one cable, and red to a different one? are these destination cables (the ones coming from the battery) colour coded?

I'm guessing I should connect the pink to one particular cable and the red to another and both these connections should be seperate and independantly insulated yes?

Also do you know...how does this stereo play mp3's? does it just read them off a data cd? I cannot find any aux/usb in etc.

Guys

Tonight driving the car, I took it up to 60mph, I noticed significant vibration coming up through the steering wheel, then, the speedometer went back to 0 and has not worked since no matter what speed I am doing, it stays at zero.

Please can anyone advise me, I did a lot of homework before buying this dam thing. the one thing I need is reliability. As a mature student, money is very tight and I have just had two years of bad luck with a megane.

Tearing my hair out now. what to do? any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

speedo could be another fuse.

get thee to a garage!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    speedo could be another fuse.

get thee to a garage!

another?

if its a fuse, I cud change that myself, ill try find the fusebox tomorrow. any opinion on the vibration at high speed (well 60mph)? could that be tracking

could be wheel balance or tracking. swap the front and back wheel and see what happens.

Cable drive to the speedo? Or were they electronic by that stage?

Colour coding is non standard, sussing out the fuses will help for a start. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what you're at, as Colm sez, get thee to a garage.

I dont want to have to start spending money on this thing especially less than a week after buying it. Have I a case bringing it back to seller to put right, The seller is a dealer in Shannon.

Unless you bought it out of an actual garage and got documentation, written warranty etc, you're wasting your time.

You got the car at a handy enough price, you can get these problems fixed and still have the car cheap.

Cable drive to the speedo? Or were they electronic by that stage?

Colour coding is non standard, sussing out the fuses will help for a start. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what you're at, as Colm sez, get thee to a garage.

Rev

Its cable drive, speedometer gone and also mileometer, miles not clocking up. Does this thing even have a fuse? I would have thought it was a cable spinning off wheel drive or something like that

• Advertisement

Its driven from the gearbox, no electrical connection to speak of.

As regards vibration, could be anything, but unlikely to be caused by this problem. The speedo's a minor fix, as is the radio issue.

Unlikely to be a major issue though, balancing, tracking being the most likely cause, followed by warped brake discs on the front.

Is it speed related?

Its driven from the gearbox, no electrical connection to speak of.

As regards vibration, could be anything, but unlikely to be caused by this problem. The speedo's a minor fix, as is the radio issue.

Unlikely to be a major issue though, balancing, tracking being the most likely cause, followed by warped brake discs on the front.

Is it speed related?

The vibration is speed related yes, car is fine at 40mph, but bringing it up to 60 it vibrates significantly, this gets worse as you go faster.

As above so. Your local tyre guy can check those, and the balancing for you.

Rev,

Re - the speedometer, is the car legally unroadworthy without it working? will it cause NCT failure?

What's the fix?, is it a new cable? is that a job for a mechaninc?

Many thanks for all your help btw, very much appreciated.

Yes, yes, yes, and not necessarily.

Size it up and see for yourself.

I've had a look, there's no way I would even consider this job, I wouldn't have the tools. Also, it seems the dash has to come out. So it appears to me anyway, that this is a big job, therefore will it be expensive to get a garage to do it?

Is there anywhere I could source the cable myself before going to the garage? (I have trawled google and ebay - no luck)

Folks,

Just to update you on this nightmare!

Brought the car to be tracked (and wheels balanced) at a tracking centre in Doughiska, Galway today. They came back and told me that both front wheel bearings have significant play and need replacing, they priced this at €320.

* So I now have serious vibration in the car at moderate speed
    * No speedometer
    * Aparently both front bearing need replacing

I got on to dealer/seller tonight who disputed the bearing clain, stating that front left bearing was done recently, so someone is lying. He said that he had the paperwork to prove it, but when I asked him if he could produce this paperwork, he hummed and hawed etc.

The upshot.....

He has agreed to take back the car. I'm probably lucky, dodging a bullet etc. But it means another day spent travelling to shannon not to mention the small costs and bits of work I have done on the car myself. In my entire life, I have never had a positive experience buying a car from a dealer, never! not once. I have always had problems.

So I'm back without a car in a few days time (if hopefully he keeps his word).
    What lessons have I learned here? What lessons should I have learned?
    Where do I go now? How do I buy a decent honest car for reasonable money (I'll spend upto 1400), How can I trus anyone? How do I know what I'm buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Don't let this phase you. Take someone with you next time, I'm supprised the wheel bearing issue wasn't picked up when you drove the car before you bought it.

You could look first for signs of welding beneath the sills (chop shop) , collision damage (bulk head damage or respray), gaps between panels should match up. Ask to start it from cold, check for blue exhaust smoke. Then take it for a spin, check the steering doesn't pull to one side. The steering should go from lock to lock smoothly.

Talk to the person your buying it off. Private sellers don't like hassle generally.

squod wrote: »
    Don't let this phase you. Take someone with you next time, I'm supprised the wheel bearing issue wasn't picked up when you drove the car before you bought it.

I took it for a good spin the day I bought it, but it was around Shannon so never got to go over 40mph. It seemed solid, no rattles etc. I simply do not know how to tell if bearings are worn. Even the drive home was slow as I stayed behind my mate in his car so we never passed 50mph.
    It was only on Saturday night when I got it on to the motorway and brought it up to 60 that I noticed the vibration, thats what prompted me to get it tracked.

I have my eye on another one near here for €1300, I'm thinking I'll ask my mechanic to come along for the viewing / test drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

dnme wrote: »
    I took it for a good spin the day I bought it, but it was around Shannon so never got to go over 40mph. It seemed solid, no rattles etc. I simply do not know how to tell if bearings are worn. Even the drive home was slow as I stayed behind my mate in his car so we never passed 50mph.
    It was only on Saturday night when I got it on to the motorway and brought it up to 60 that I noticed the vibration, thats what prompted me to get it tracked.

I have my eye on another one near here for €1300, I'm thinking I'll ask my mechanic to come along for the viewing / test drive.

You need to bring someone with you who knows what to look for. I hope you get a good car mate.

Advertisement