Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router Question (2 on same ASL line)

• 09-01-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I have a wireless router, its a Zykel.I have it connected to a telephone line upstairs in the house.The signal coverage seems to be poor. The signal would be variable down stairs.It would be one to two bars downstairs (its not a big house or anything.
    There is another telephone line wired downstairs (I guess the telephone line is split somewhere in the house).So I thought I could buy a second wireless router and connect this to the telephone line downstairs.I bought a wireless router ( A Buffalo - relatively cheap) and a connection piece so that the phone and wireless router can connect to the telephone line ( I don't know what is called (a splitter maybe?).
    So I plugged all this in. The telephone worked away fine but the internet connection was strange. On the laptop I could connect to both routers but there was no outside connection to the internet. When I disconnected the new router to the telephone line the access to the internet came back.
    So a few questions
    Is it possible to have two different wireless routers on a single broadband line? (regardless of have the line split in the house).
    If it is possible is there something about needing a switchover cable between the router and the telephone port (the bit in the wall). I know there is something about differences between Irish telephone set up and UK and equipment being more set up for the UK?
    Kind Regards
    Hector

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SAFC

I know there is something about differences between Irish telephone set up and UK and equipment being more set up for the UK?

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is it possible to have two different wireless routers on a single broadband line?

If you mean routers with modems integrated, then no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it possible to have two different wireless routers on a single broadband line?

Not directly -- only one modem may connect.

It is possible to connect a second router to the output of the first and use that second router to connect through. It would need to be connected to the first router though.

You can use 2 routers, though they would have to be bridged and only one may be connected to your phone line acting as a router does.

So you are basically extending the wireless range by having two access points (2 wireless routers bridged).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hectorhector

Hi Guys,
    You seem to know your stuff.
    To connect the routers in series is it just an ordinary telephone cable or cat cable I need to use or is there something special about connecting two wireless routers.
    Do I have to change settings on the second router to make it work as a sort of repeater.
    My other question is can routers have different ranges. My existing wireless router is about 4 years old. The buffalo I bought is new (and cheap) ( I should have checked this site out before I bought it) . Would it necessarily be any better?

Kind Regards
    Hector

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SAFC

Hi Guys,
    To connect the routers in series is it just an ordinary telephone cable or cat cable I need to use or is there something special about connecting two wireless routers.
    Do I have to change settings on the second router to make it work as a sort of repeater.
    My other question is can routers have different ranges. My existing wireless router is about 4 years old. The buffalo I bought is new (and cheap) ( I should have checked this site out before I bought it) . Would it necessarily be any better?

Kind Regards
    Hector

Probably but not necessarily. Would need to have a look at the spec of both.

I will try and connect them up and see what happens.
    I really only wanted to extend coverage in the house. I must check if the Buffalo modem has a stronger signal anyway. Its a pain the way the house is wired up.
    I don't have a power point sort of midway in the house (or telephone line).
    Kind Regards
    Hector

Hi Guys,

Kind Regards
    Hector

To connect the routers together, you would use a crossover cable between the 2 routers, they are CAT5 set for this purpose, it's just a case off connecting to either LAN port off each router.

You would have to tell the routers what you are trying to achieve, so one router will be connected to your WAN normally (telephone cable) and also to your other router (via Crossover Cable), which will be then acting as a bridged access point (wireless) . This will have to be done by the configuration off each router, I assume that you have accessed the router's console (configuration) before, it is generally accessed via a browser (192.168.XXX.XXX).

As for ranges, wireless routers are 802.11 and they are different versions off each which you might off heard, such as "a, b, g, n" , each are different as regards to wireless capabilities, so it is a matter off checking each model you have and finding out which has which, and there is no harm in googling the above so you can perform a personal site survey yourself regarding your equipment and to see what you are trying to achieve is achievable.

They are plenty off guides on the net for this set-up, I will be doing one myself tomorrow.

Hi all,
    Thanks again for all the help.
    We'll see if I manage to do something with it all.

If anyone knows why you can't have two routers on one DSL line I'd be interested in hearing.

Kind Regards
    Hector

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi all,
    Thanks again for all the help.
    We'll see if I manage to do something with it all.

If anyone knows why you can't have two routers on one DSL line I'd be interested in hearing.

Kind Regards
    Hector

How are both routers meant to send signals at the same frequencies on the same line?

• Advertisement

You basically lease a WLAN (DSL Line) from your ISP.

As for 2 Routers connected to it. As the previous poster mentioned only one can be connected.
    One Router which sends the packets and many other technologies such as switches, hubs, wireless, etc to distribute them.

A home DSL Router is many things, as supposing to Enterprise setups,
    such as

1 it is a Router, which routes packets within the WAN and your LAN using the Destination and Origin IP Addresses obtained from the Packet Header.

2 it is a Switch (or previously known as a Bridge) which examines the MAC address's stored and even faster than above, pass these on.

3 a DHCP server.

4 even a web server.

I know there's more, so as you can see the Home DSL router can carry out many functions, though as they are generally bought and used for home use tied to one connection, they are very adaptable and can be used to create whatever topology which you need.

OH, I am digging a hole here, pissed and need to pee..

If you have any problems with your set up, let us know..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just want to say that you can use a standard Cat5 cable to connect the input of the second router to one of the outputs of the first router ... there is no need for a special cable of any sort with equipment made in the last number of years.

You set up the second router to use a different WIFI channel to the first one, so they do not interfere,

It would also be best if you set up the second router to have a different range of IP addresses to the first one ....... so if the first issues say
    192.168.0.x to connected devices you might set up the second one to issue
    192.168.1.x IP addresses.

In some cases a modem/router will act in part bridge mode without any settings being edited ..... this is true for Netopia 3347 from Eircom for instance, so that a second router connected to a LAN side port of the first can itself get a WAN IP through the first device ...... and thus have two separate connections to the internet
    separate that is in the WAN side address they have.

Hopefully the above has not further confused the issue .... ;)

regards.

Advertisement