Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly question - no flame in our gas furnace

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Ok this is silly but I've no experience with this whatsoever :) We are renting a house which is heated by a gas furnace (in the shed). Today it didn't work and when we went to check on it there's no flame. What should we do - is there a chance that there is something wrong with the gas supply due to the freeze or is it likely to be a problem with the furnace itself (in other words, will it explode)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

to be on the safe side, call An Bord Gais emergency number. But - is the heating on a timer? Maybe you looked when it was timed off. You could also try the landlord, who should be able to give you instructions for how the GFCH works.

by furnace, do you mean boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

herya wrote: »
    Ok this is silly but I've no experience with this whatsoever :) We are renting a house which is heated by a gas furnace (in the shed). Today it didn't work and when we went to check on it there's no flame. What should we do - is there a chance that there is something wrong with the gas supply due to the freeze or is it likely to be a problem with the furnace itself (in other words, will it explode)?

Is it mains gas, or a tank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Cheers - our landlord gave us instructions how to relight it but again it doesn't work. It might be something with either our gas supply (from the mains) or possibly some pipes have frozen since the furnace is in the outbuilding and the boiler in the bathroom. Bord Gais don't answer their calls - nice, what if I had a gas leak?... The landlord is now abroad, we can carry out repairs and we'll be refunded but he's of no help today.

Any suggestions are welcome! We turned it off for now and keep checking for gas smell (nothing luckily).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The same happened me this morning, the boiler wouldnt light. I set it just to heat the radiators though and not the water and it lit up then. Im no expert either but that worked for me.

Advertisement