Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig Mosquito .22 - Unrestricted?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

My question which was raised by a friend a mine.

If you took your restricted and refused .22 Moquito with 10 round magazines and purchased 5 round magazines - would the Mosquito be considered to be Non restricted? And to bring that further could you now ask your Superintendent to consider the Pistol from Restricted to non restricted?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Legally? Yes (if you have the sport model with the 4.9 inch barrel - the normal model with the 3.9 inch barrel is a hair's breadth too short, it has to be over 10cm in length). Practically... may be a different kettle of fish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Maybe it should be un-restricted as it's less dangerous because it's a jam-omatic piece of crap.

Shot one, practically a single shot pos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

"Shot one?"... better off shooting targets as my old army sgt would shout as he kicked us!!

I got the new licence for my mosquito, and the 9mm crew who were telling me they were crap, now all want one cos they cant get licences!!!

Mosquito will jam constantly unless you feed the ammo it likes. i.e. high velocity or else CCI minimag. I havent had a jam in th last 5,000 rounds.

That is a design issue, but one that any research will reveal quickly, for 350 - 400 euro its a grand piece of kit. (I wonder will they hike up the prices now??)
    I nearly cried hearing about mates handing over 1200 euro pistols!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

meathmannn wrote: »
    "Shot one?"... better off shooting targets as my old army sgt would shout as he kicked us!!

I got the new licence for my mosquito, and the 9mm crew who were telling me they were crap, now all want one cos they cant get licences!!!

Mosquito will jam constantly unless you feed the ammo it likes. i.e. high velocity or else CCI minimag. I havent had a jam in th last 5,000 rounds.
    It's kind of counterproductive to be trying to shoot targets with HV ammo. It's hard enough with a rifle, with a pistol it's a joke. If that's what it takes to get it to operate then it's failed at the first hurdle. Alll .22 target ammunition is subsonic.
    That is a design issue, but one that any research will reveal quickly, for 350 - 400 euro its a grand piece of kit. (I wonder will they hike up the prices now??)
    I nearly cried hearing about mates handing over 1200 euro pistols!!
    There are better pistols available second hand for the same price. Did your mates not appeal their refusals?

Thats why I use the mini mag, gettting decent results too.
    Must get an armourer to investigate the design issue and see if there's any modification that will sort it.

Both lads I knew were refused 9mm due to issues with ranges, and they were not in a position to travel further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

meathmannn wrote: »
    Thats why I use the mini mag, gettting decent results too.
    Must get an armourer to investigate the design issue and see if there's any modification that will sort it.
    CCI minimag is HV ammo. It's rated MV is 1235 or 1260 fps which is above the speed of sound. AFAIK, the mosquito comes in the box with two recoil springs: one for HV and one for subsonic. If yours came with both try the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

rrpc wrote: »
    CCI minimag is HV ammo. It's rated MV is 1235 or 1260 fps which is above the speed of sound. AFAIK, the mosquito comes in the box with two recoil springs: one for HV and one for subsonic. If yours came with both try the other one.

I will when I get it back!

Apologies for wandering off topic ......tried the springs, few years ago, one does seem less prone to jam than the other.

Like any firearm you adapt your shooting, and with practice results are good enough for me. It's cheap and cheerfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

In my experience alot of semi auto .22s (not just the mosquitos) are prone to jamming (mainly FTE) because of there design. the mosquitos are no different and are prone to jamming with certain ammunition. You do need to find a brand and stick with it if if works. Remember people this is still a Sig and i dont need to remind you of there heritage and quality. There is no need for any armourer to look at them if there new out of the box because they do work. At least Sig did include 2 recoil springs because they knew this problem happens wit a .22 cal firearm. The idea being that if you cant get the firearm to run correct with a few different types of ammo you (the owner/shooter) simply replaces the recoil spring and try the same ammo types again. Ive never heard of ruger supplying springs with there 10/22s ! For the money, im raging that i didnt get one when i could have !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

In my experience alot of semi auto .22s (not just the mosquitos) are prone to jamming (mainly FTE) because of there design. the mosquitos are no different and are prone to jamming with certain ammunition. You do need to find a brand and stick with it if if works. Remember people this is still a Sig and i dont need to remind you of there heritage and quality. There is no need for any armourer to look at them if there new out of the box because they do work. At least Sig did include 2 recoil springs because they knew this problem happens wit a .22 cal firearm. The idea being that if you cant get the firearm to run correct with a few different types of ammo you (the owner/shooter) simply replaces the recoil spring and try the same ammo types again. Ive never heard of ruger supplying springs with there 10/22s ! For the money, im raging that i didnt get one when i could have !

i don't believe for a second that sig make the mosquito , its probabily made by umarex or someone else and the sig name just stuck on , as for heritage and quality the mosquito has neither , they may have sold here for 350-400 euro but i have seen them online in france and germany for 140-160 euro , so rip off ireland strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

In my experience alot of semi auto .22s (not just the mosquitos) are prone to jamming (mainly FTE) because of there design.
    This is not true! Just look at the Browning Buckmark or Target 87 Beretta for example. I could list many more.
    the mosquitos are no different and are prone to jamming with certain ammunition.
    They are different to quality .22 pistols such as the two listed above mainly because:
    1 They are unreliable
    2 They are inaccurate
    3 The triggers are very poor
    4 Mosquitos are more of a "toy" than a real target pistol. They are designed to look like a full bore pistol.
    There is no need for any armourer to look at them if there new out of the box because they do work.

So why all the bad press? Are we all just making this up? Leaving the jaming aside they are very inaccurate which makes them a complete waste of money if you are a target shooter, and if you are not a target shooter you should not have one! I have heard all of the same excuses for the P22.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

I had a Mosquito and put thousands of rounds through it. After trying various makes of ammo i found Lapua subsonic club flawless with this pistol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

In my experience alot of semi auto .22s (not just the mosquitos) are prone to jamming (mainly FTE) because of there design.....

Had a Ruger MK III never jammed with ANY ammo I put through it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Had a Ruger MK III never jammed with ANY ammo I put through it :cool:

Did it cycle target subsonic ammo ok?

My apologies knockon, my reply may have begun the usual boardsie get totally off topic thread!!

Advertisement