Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stud / Pipe Detectors - Are they necessary, do they work?

• 09-01-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I usually just knock on plasterboard walls to find a stud if I'm mounting something heavy, but I've agreed to help a friend mounting a load of shelves, towel racks,cabinets etc. in his new place and i'm concerned about missing a stud or hitting pipes or electrical cables.

So i'm wondering should I get a stud/pipe detector ?

Do they work, are they easy to use - any recommendations on models?

Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I've used a few of them and found them to be unreliable. Particularly when its not your place - where you have a general idea of when pipes and cables are.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Swift66 wrote: »
    I usually just knock on plasterboard walls to find a stud if I'm mounting something heavy, but I've agreed to help a friend mounting a load of shelves, towel racks,cabinets etc. in his new place and i'm concerned about missing a stud or hitting pipes or electrical cables.

So i'm wondering should I get a stud/pipe detector ?

Do they work, are they easy to use - any recommendations on models?

Any info much appreciated.

Good quality ones work not cheap ones. as for finding studs once you find the first one the next will be 400mm or 16inches away from the first. Another option is use plasterboard fixings and forget about trying to find studs.

http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Main/Subcategory2.asp?CatID=120&SubID=1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

they are unreliable at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have one since I started out on my own.... Its shoite. Like said finding the studs is easy enough. If unsure proceed with caution.

Advertisement