Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus NTL - Multiple Cable Modems On One Household Account?

• 09-01-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Since signing up with Chorus NTL about 4 years ago I have been using the cable modem that they supplied at the time along with my own netgear router and I'm happy with that set-up in my bedroom as it is.

However, I recently was given a Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway (model # WCG200). This device is an all-in-one incorporating a cable modem, router, and 4 port switch and I would like to have this set up in my kitchen where there is a TV point on the wall.

Do NTL allow multiple cable modems on the one household account?
    If they do am I correct in assuming that they will have to know the cable modem's MAC address before it can be authenticated \ used on their network?

Will they try and charge me for the use of an extra modem even though the amount I download will not be increasing?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

The Thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In theory you can have multiple cable modems but why? Chorus gave us two way back in the early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i got a lend of my mates box and we had both going on my house at 20mb each. obviously that only works when you have to seperate modems from upc that have 2 valid mac address.

when i got the phone from ntl they replaced the modem that i was using with a new(exact same type)but left the old one here. wonder if i can change the mac address on it so to use to seperate boxes. not sure what that would do but as i have ports everywhere in the house would be handy to have another ethernet port down stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Your modem needs to be provisioned by UPC in order to be allowed onto the network but UPC will generally only provision equipment provided directly through them. They won't touch third party equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I don't NTL are going to help you get 2 20MB connections for free :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What you're looking to do is theft of service, and you won't get any help with that here. If you pay for 2 accounts, then you can get 2 accounts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement