Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing the battle with the cold

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I need to moan and rant.

I hope this weather eases soon.

Our boiler very very old boiler as finally given up, can't afford to fill the tank so it wouldn't bother us so much if it didn't have enough diesel for another couple of days or so in the tank.

We've moved the bed to the dinning room as the house is so cold that we have ice on the inside of the house, windows are completely covered in ice and we can't see out, we turned off the fridge cause the house is colder then the fridge may as well save on ESB., we now just trying to heat 2 rooms.

The pets are happy because they get to stay in, we had to go out today for a few hours and put the dogs in the kitchen while we were away, their water froze and they looked miserable when we come back.

The windows are old and not double glazed so we put this plastic on the dining room window, now bedroom to try and create some sort of double glaze effect, not sure it made much of a difference though.

We are kinda not thinking about the ESB bill and turning on the electric heathers but they are just 2 small heaters and make little difference, still better then nothing, money for coal is running out fast.

We turning all we can into soup and eating it away through out the day to keep worm.

Not sure how long we will be able to manage though.

We asked the welfare board for assistance but they said no extra money was allocated for this.

There have to be other people finding it very difficult to stay worm, so tell us what you doing to stay worm. Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I tend to wriggle through the earth and pop up through the grass on wet evenings to stay worm. ;)

Good luck with your situation, on a serious note imagine how tough it was for people a few generations back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Where abouts are you located?

Hopefully the worst will be over soon.

There really should be extra fuel allowances right now. I believe they're doing this in the UK.

If you were brave enough you could contact a TV station and invite them to come see your living conditions off the back of this. Might cause a bit of pressure.

And on a practical note, wear plenty of extra layers of clothing in the house... especially a hat and extra pair of socks. Gloves also... if you don't have gloves use an old pair of socks on your hands.

If you are desperate for coal see if a friendly coal merchant will give you a few bags and let you pay later, I'm sure most will. Or a friendly neighbour may help you fix your boiler.

Also utilise body heat between yourselves and your dogs.

Food wise I'd recommend eating porridge oats and making stews... cheap, warming and healthy. Casseroles have the added benefit of the oven warming the house. Get a pack of cheap chicken legs and some cheap veg and spuds.

Heavy curtains may help with the windows, or even draping a spare blanket over the curtain rails.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Hot water bottles on your lap.

Allow one of your pets snuggle up to you as you sit and watch tv, etc.

Could you get free firewood anywhere? Mix it with the coal. A fire with a mixture of stuff in it is better plus you'll stretch your coal supplies.

Don't air the house until the cold spell passes. This is not ideal, but it's an economic necessity.

Visit someone who has a fire for the evening. Lots of people stranded indoors are going crazy for company.

Dressing-gown over your clothes.

Sorry to hear things are financially tough. This too shall pass!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

LookingFor wrote: »
    Where abouts are you located?

Hopefully the worst will be over soon.

There really should be extra fuel allowances right now. I believe they're doing this in the UK.

If you were brave enough you could contact a TV station and invite them to come see your living conditions off the back of this. Might cause a bit of pressure.

We're in co. Limerick.

We went down on Monday when we seen that we were going to be seriously stuck and can't continue to buy coal at the speed we are just to keep 2 rooms worm and they said they hadn't been given nothing extra.

They did say that if we got an very high ESB bill they should be able to help with that, so will see.

Though about that all right, but lack of courage is letting us down.

There have to be others like us finding it very difficult to stay worm though and we not sore how we going to cope if this continues.

• Advertisement

Hot water bottles on your lap.

Allow one of your pets snuggle up to you as you sit and watch tv, etc.

Could you get free firewood anywhere? Mix it with the coal. A fire with a mixture of stuff in it is better plus you'll stretch your coal supplies.

Don't air the house until the cold spell passes. This is not ideal, but it's an economic necessity.

Visit someone who has a fire for the evening. Lots of people stranded indoors are going crazy for company.

Dressing-gown over your clothes.

Sorry to hear things are financially tough. This too shall pass!:)

I am using the dogs as water bottles :) don't think they mind.

No chance of free wood anywhere, we cut all we could at home, got 2 bags of coal today but not sure where the next are going to come from.

The fire doesn't have a back boiler so we just keeping these 2 rooms worm, but its crazy even just going upstairs to the toilet or to take a shower and its freezing, even the electric shower isn't worming the water as the water in the tank is so cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Get on to the St Vincent de Paul society in your area as soon as possible - they offer financial assistance particularly in cases like yours.

Ozanam House, Hartstonge Street, , Limerick
    Telephone 061 317327
    Fax 061 310320
    Email info@svpmw.com

http://www.svp.ie/News/Latest-News/SVP-Ready-to-Respond-to-Weather-Difficulties.aspx

SVP Ready to Respond to Weather Difficulties

The Society of St.Vincent de Paul indicated today that it will respond effectively to those who find they need assistance and request help during the current severe weather.

The National President of the Society, Mairead Bushnell, said that she had been in contact with Regional Presidents around the country and all SVP Regional Offices were ready to respond to serious need, as the Society had done during the recent flood alert.

"Some areas are more badly affected by the weather than others," she said, "but we will ensure that no one suffers and is left without help. Heating homes, looking after the elderly and children are particularly important and those who are unemployed and in already severe financial difficulties, must not be left without a resource for help to which they can turn."

The National President said that the Society's Regional Offices around the country were ready to help, had proved their effectiveness during the floods emergency and would do so again, if called upon.

"Those who are in need should call their Regional Offices and they will get help during this severe weather period."

I hope that's helpful and you get some form of heating sorted for your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If they might help with the electricity, maybe see if you can get an electric fan heater from someone.

Otherwise I'd suggest the same things others have said above. Particularly regarding your windows - do use heavy curtains or something to drape the windows. You're likely losing a tonne of heat through them. We have double glazing and around the windows it feels like a refridgerator! So I can only imagine with single glazing.

Keep your chin up, it won't last forever.

Here are some pictures of my windows, kitchen bedroom, reason you can't see out its the ice and the ice is inside.

yaya* wrote: »
    Get on to the St Vincent de Paul society in your area as soon as possible - they offer financial assistance particularly in cases like yours.

Ozanam House, Hartstonge Street, , Limerick
    Telephone 061 317327
    Fax 061 310320
    Email info@svpmw.com

http://www.svp.ie/News/Latest-News/SVP-Ready-to-Respond-to-Weather-Difficulties.aspx

SVP Ready to Respond to Weather Difficulties

The Society of St.Vincent de Paul indicated today that it will respond effectively to those who find they need assistance and request help during the current severe weather.

The National President of the Society, Mairead Bushnell, said that she had been in contact with Regional Presidents around the country and all SVP Regional Offices were ready to respond to serious need, as the Society had done during the recent flood alert.

"Some areas are more badly affected by the weather than others," she said, "but we will ensure that no one suffers and is left without help. Heating homes, looking after the elderly and children are particularly important and those who are unemployed and in already severe financial difficulties, must not be left without a resource for help to which they can turn."

The National President said that the Society's Regional Offices around the country were ready to help, had proved their effectiveness during the floods emergency and would do so again, if called upon.

"Those who are in need should call their Regional Offices and they will get help during this severe weather period."

I hope that's helpful and you get some form of heating sorted for your home.

Thank you, will try them on Monday don't think anyone will be there tomorrow.

• Advertisement

LookingFor wrote: »
    If they might help with the electricity, maybe see if you can get an electric fan heater from someone.

Otherwise I'd suggest the same things others have said above. Particularly regarding your windows - do use heavy curtains or something to drape the windows. You're likely losing a tonne of heat through them. We have double glazing and around the windows it feels like a refridgerator! So I can only imagine with single glazing.

Keep your chin up, it won't last forever.

We are, we hanged blanktc on the windows, etc.

:) I know just needed to moan a bit.

Should have though of St. Vicente the Paul, but don't think there is an office in Newcastle West, so don't know how much they will be able to do.

For now we still have coal and we can keep this 2 rooms worm but I am starting to get seriously worried if this weather doesn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

tudlytops wrote: »
    Thank you, will try them on Monday don't think anyone will be there tomorrow.

It might be worth the shot to ring em tomorrow- leave a message in case someone checks the messages later that day - in this weather, the volunteers may well be working overtime.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

no one on here from limerick who can buy her few bags of coal, geez

argosy2006 wrote: »
    no one on here from limerick who can buy her few bags of coal, geez

Thank you, but I think there are so many now with difficulties like this.

Just ideas is fine.

We brought some shopping to a couple of people today as they had no way to get to the shops, so at least we have food and a way to get to the shops.

Oh and if any one has heavy curtains that would be great :)

yaya* wrote: »
    It might be worth the shot to ring em tomorrow- leave a message in case someone checks the messages later that day - in this weather, the volunteers may well be working overtime.

Good luck.

You may be right, nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

HUGE HUGS FROM DONEGAL

Just hang on in there?

You are doing great; be assured of that; great.

And shopping for others; what a wonderful person!

And vent all you need; I am here for you on anchoresscj at yahoo dot com.. you are welcome here.

I may be able to find you one more contact there; the Francscan Brothers of the Renewal are great guys; in from Chicago and they are very down to earth. Email me privately?

I have been over three weeks in this now; stranded up here.

And yes, keeping warm is an appalling struggle: I have limited mobility and also Raynauds, which means hands and feet are getting little blood supply.

And the issue of... bodily wastes... becomes... interesting ;) Thankful for the field where no one can see!!!

BUT WE CAN DO IT.

One day at a time.

Empty bleach bottle make great hot water bottles; I have three in bed with me now.

And am spending most of each day in bed now..

V de P have issued help numbers: I did post these a while back; slowly they are realising the need.

My few neighbours here ignore me; thankfully one of our boardsies birought fuel etc. And from a fair distance.

The road here is still imapassble as it has been over three weeks now

Just rest in what you can do.

Wish someone could give you a gas heater; it has saved my sanity of late.

I only got that because I told the landlord there was no way I could afforf to use the storage heaters.

And this weather has to ease sometime; just has to.
    AL
    tudlytops wrote: »
    You may be right, nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

And am spending most of each day in bed now..

Best thing to do.

Indeed yes; my work is writing and hand knitting and that can all be done here.

So I keep one room warm...
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    Best thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Frankly, I am angry that this sort of substandard rental accommodation is allowed. OP, maybe its not such a good idea at the moment, but may I suggest you look for alternative accommodation. There are that many new build, well insulated empty houses out there, it is simply amazing that this sort of crap is still being rented. The landlord is in breach of his duty of care and should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I think there is still a branch of St Vincent de Paul in Newcastlewest, down Maiden Street, set back from the road on right hand side - on past the health food shop.

Cling film over the windows would help a bit, also newspapers and brown wrapping paper are good for keeping feet warm. You cold also use paper as temporary curtains, pages cellotaped or glued together. Keep making hot drinks if you can.

I've noticed the temp out this way has eased ever so slightly this morning, so shouldn't be quite as bad as Fri/Sat.

• Advertisement

That is a battle many are fighting.

The house I was flooded out of in November was appalling. If you read some of the threads on accommodation and property.

This is not the right time for this for the OP as you say.

But later; the Tenancy Act was only made law in 2004; many landlords are still unregistered.

PTRB and Threshold are the best folk for this. Both online.

And the availability of suitable housing varies. Here in Donegal, there is a ceiling of E85 a week for Rent Allowance, which also limits those on lower incomes.

Which is why so many are in poor accommodation.

quote=Caoimhín;63909503]Frankly, I am angry that this sort of substandard rental accommodation is allowed. OP, maybe its not such a good idea at the moment, but may I suggest you look for alternative accommodation. There are that many new build, well insulated empty houses out there, it is simply amazing that this sort of crap is still being rented. The landlord is in breach of his duty of care and should be reported.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tudlytops + anyone else facing severe hardship in this cold, I really feel for you, as there is nothing worse than a freezing house when there is little or no funds to buy fuel. Any good advice has already been given. SVP, wrapping up warm, good food etc. I would also advise heading down to your local community welfare officer and tell them your plight. They have a limited amount of funds available to them to help out people who are really struggling in the short term. DO NOT take no for an answer should they refuse to help you out with even a little financial help to buy extra fuel.

Your experince, which is the same as countless others, really highlights the neglegt this government is showing to our nation's most vunerable. Watching BBC News 24 last night, the UK gov allocated extra funds to those who are in predicuments like your own; adding up to 25 uk pounds a week for fuel to those on social welfare. No such extra funds from our own government which is disgraceful to say the least, but typical really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a battle many are fighting.

The house I was flooded out of in November was appalling. If you read some of the threads on accommodation and property.

This is not the right time for this for the OP as you say.

But later; the Tenancy Act was only made law in 2004; many landlords are still unregistered.

PTRB and Threshold are the best folk for this. Both online.

And the availability of suitable housing varies. Here in Donegal, there is a ceiling of E85 a week for Rent Allowance, which also limits those on lower incomes.

Which is why so many are in poor accommodation.

quote=Caoimhín;63909503]Frankly, I am angry that this sort of substandard rental accommodation is allowed. OP, maybe its not such a good idea at the moment, but may I suggest you look for alternative accommodation. There are that many new build, well insulated empty houses out there, it is simply amazing that this sort of crap is still being rented. The landlord is in breach of his duty of care and should be reported.
    [/QUOTE]

There should be an NCT for rental accommodation.

There should be an NCT for rental accommodation.[/quote]

There is essentially... rented accomodation has to meet certain standards and a landlord is legally responsible for their maintenance if heating appliances, etc break down, especially in these cold circumstances.

If anyone is suffering in rented accomodation they should contact their landlord immediatley asking them to remedy any faults, problems and respectfully remind them of their obligations under the law.

Most reasonable landlods should be obliging, if they are not contact Threshold.

Yet it seems many are afraid to to so.

Scared of being evicted.

Because they do not know the law.

And because some landlords are bullies.

Here is the Threshold site.

http://www.threshold.ie/

They will advise in total confidence and if you need, they will deal with the situation also.

And they know the law

snow ghost wrote: »
    There should be an NCT for rental accommodation.

There is essentially... rented accomodation has to meet certain standards and a landlord is legally responsible for their maintenance if heating appliances, etc break down, especially in these cold circumstances.

If anyone is suffering in rented accomodation they should contact their landlord immediatley asking them to remedy any faults, problems and respectfully remind them of their obligations under the law.

Most reasonable landlods should be obliging, if they are not contact Threshold.[/quote]

In all fairness; people on Social Welfare who qualify do get E20 a week in winter in a Solid Fuel Allowance, and a generous electricity allowance.

In the UK a one off payment of I think now 250 sterling kicks in after a certain number of frost.

My problem just now is that as I had to move just before this started, because of flooding, and they make you reapply, I am not getting even that yet..

Tudlytops + anyone else facing severe hardship in this cold, I really feel for you, as there is nothing worse than a freezing house when there is little or no funds to buy fuel. Any good advice has already been given. SVP, wrapping up warm, good food etc. I would also advise heading down to your local community welfare officer and tell them your plight. They have a limited amount of funds available to them to help out people who are really struggling in the short term. DO NOT take no for an answer should they refuse to help you out with even a little financial help to buy extra fuel.

Your experince, which is the same as countless others, really highlights the neglegt this government is showing to our nation's most vunerable. Watching BBC News 24 last night, the UK gov allocated extra funds to those who are in predicuments like your own; adding up to 25 uk pounds a week for fuel to those on social welfare. No such extra funds from our own government which is disgraceful to say the least, but typical really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Erm, am I missing something here?

I can't see a mention of Rent or landlord in any of OP's posts.
    I can't see anything relating to rental accommodation.

Why is this suddenly a thread about sub-standard rental accommodation?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Erm, am I missing something here?

I can't see a mention of Rent or landlord in any of OP's posts.
    I can't see anything relating to rental accommodation.

Why is this suddenly a thread about sub-standard rental accommodation?

Evolution mo chara... evolution. ;)

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Frankly, I am angry that this sort of substandard rental accommodation is allowed. OP, maybe its not such a good idea at the moment, but may I suggest you look for alternative accommodation. There are that many new build, well insulated empty houses out there, it is simply amazing that this sort of crap is still being rented. The landlord is in breach of his duty of care and should be reported.

Hiya, yes I know what you mean but none at €400 a month's.

Before i was made redundant I save as much as I could for our dream, to own our own place, no debt, so when i was made redundant we put all we had, even sold the car and bough a old one so that we could get a place.

We did but it as been empty for over 12 years and it needs a lot of work, I had hoped that my health would improve quick and I would go back to work soon and we could fix it up but it hasn't happen yet, so for the moment this is all we can afford.

Problem with reporting landlords is that they will just give you your notice and that's the end of it, the only way situations like this would be fixed is if the so called inspections did happen and the tenant had nothing to do with it so they could not be blamed.

It is not all bad, I just got down last night when we come back and the dogs were freezing and the windows were covered in ice, it go me really down and thinking about what are we going to do if this continues.

• Advertisement

Thank you all, for your kind words and advice.

I needed to vent, felt down and had just come in to a freezing house.

I am better today and this weather cannot last much longer.

Advertisement