Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing the battle with the cold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Graces7 wrote: »
    And shopping for others; what a wonderful person!

Not at all, the car tank is full, we both have health problems and i would not be without petrol in the car, besides can't turn the petrol into coal so may as well help if we can.
    And vent all you need; I am here for you on anchoresscj at yahoo dot com.. you are welcome here.

Thank you
    I may be able to find you one more contact there; the Francscan Brothers of the Renewal are great guys; in from Chicago and they are very down to earth. Email me privately?

Checago???

Empty bleach bottle make great hot water bottles; I have three in bed with me now.

that's a great idea, just tried it, got a couple of bottles of the recyling bin and they work a treat.
    My few neighbours here ignore me;

That's hard, we don't have many niegbours here and the place as been rented for a few yeras now so they are used to people coming and going so don't pay much attention to who is renting at any moment.

I only got that because I told the landlord there was no way I could afforf to use the storage heaters.

landlord here wants to knock the place down and build a few houses on the plot, they not going to fix anything

Never new olive oil freezes, just went to use it, took it out the cupboard and it's solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

It has set rather than frozen.

Caoimhín wrote: »

Maybe but it won't come out :)

What you mean by set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

tudlytops wrote: »
    Maybe but it won't come out :)

What you mean by set?

It sets when it is cold, rather like jelly sets or maybe like candle wax is a better example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

You really split that hair well.

It sets when it is cold, rather like jelly sets or maybe like candle wax is a better example.

Thanks, i'd never seen it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please; call Threshold?

Landlords now cannot evict you like that. Period.

Is the tenancy registered? If so you will have had papers to sign.

If not then the landlord can be fined or sent to prison.. NICE!

Threshold will be your advocate; and it is not your responsibilty to do the repairs, it is his.

We had issues with one landlord as he kept coming inwhen we were out; thatalso is fobidden in the Tenacy Act.

There are things that have to be in place now in any rented accommodation. Heat, and no damp. No structural faults

Theshold are very supportive indeed and often a letter that is official will be enough to get things done.

Bullies are cowards..

No need to run scared. I hate confrontations too.

Please God the weather eases soon. No sign of a thaw up here.

We all get down; I have been stranded up here nearly four weeks now and I get VERY CRANKY!!

Oh the Friars? they have a House in Limerick now and another in Derry
    These are great guys who get their hands dirty helping people.

Peace this day and here is to better weather...

Off to fill my three bleach bottles!!

Hiya, yes I know what you mean but none at €400 a month's.

Before i was made redundant I save as much as I could for our dream, to own our own place, no debt, so when i was made redundant we put all we had, even sold the car and bough a old one so that we could get a place.

We did but it as been empty for over 12 years and it needs a lot of work, I had hoped that my health would improve quick and I would go back to work soon and we could fix it up but it hasn't happen yet, so for the moment this is all we can afford.

Problem with reporting landlords is that they will just give you your notice and that's the end of it, the only way situations like this would be fixed is if the so called inspections did happen and the tenant had nothing to do with it so they could not be blamed.

It is not all bad, I just got down last night when we come back and the dogs were freezing and the windows were covered in ice, it go me really down and thinking about what are we going to do if this continues.

Landlords now cannot evict you like that. Period.

No they can't but they can end the contract with 1 month's notice, same as I can.
    Is the tenancy registered? If so you will have had papers to sign.

If not then the landlord can be fined or sent to prison.. NICE!

Yes it is and yes we have a contract, that at this point only requires 1 month's notice either party to end it.

If they though they were going to have grieve of any kind they'd just give notice and shut up the house and await planing premission.
    Threshold will be your advocate; and it is not your responsibilty to do the repairs, it is his.

We had issues with one landlord as he kept coming inwhen we were out; thatalso is fobidden in the Tenacy Act.

There are things that have to be in place now in any rented accommodation. Heat, and no damp. No structural faults

Theshold are very supportive indeed and often a letter that is official will be enough to get things done.

Bullies are cowards..

No need to run scared. I hate confrontations too.

I know what you saying, but we really can't afford a move right now and I have no doughts they would just close up this place, we would have to find an unfurnished place not so easy or pay for storage of out stuff.

Pet friendly as i believe pets are for life, not something you discard when things don't go as planed and at €400 per month, don't want to relay on rent allowence and then be in huge trouble like some friends of mine when the rent allowance is reduced. At least here we no we can pay the rent.
    Please God the weather eases soon. No sign of a thaw up here.

Didn't snow today but everything is still covered in a white blancket, hope it rains soon, really do.
    We all get down; I have been stranded up here nearly four weeks now and I get VERY CRANKY!!

You poor thing, at least we not stranded and we somewhat managing to keep the 2 rooms worm.
    Oh the Friars? they have a House in Limerick now and another in Derry

i have no idea who they are.

Off to fill my three bleach bottles!!

that was a great idea, put four on the bed last night it worked a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Even Flow

In all fairness; people on Social Welfare who qualify do get E20 a week in winter in a Solid Fuel Allowance, and a generous electricity allowance.

Um, no they don't.

• Advertisement

????

Yes WE do!

On this I am totally sure being a recipient.
    Even Flow wrote: »
    Um, no they don't.

????

Yes WE do!

€20 a week buys 1 bag of coal a week, in normal circumstances that is help, but in this cold it does very little.

You have an insulated house, double glazing etc you may be fine with that, but here €20 week for heating doesn't go far.

And not every one gets those allowances, it depends on what benefit they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

€20 a week buys 1 bag of coal a week, in normal circumstances that is help, but in this cold it does very little.

You have an insulated house, double glazing etc you may be fine with that, but here €20 week for heating doesn't go far.

And not every one gets those allowances, it depends on what benefit they are on.

I'm not elegible, you have to be in receipt of benefit/allowance for two years.

This is what I was told at the local office when I applied for it :(

This house is not insulated etc. Far from it.

The kitchen is so cold the fridge has cut out.

The house had been empty months and is still cold to the bones. As well as the altitude

Here we can get a 40 k bag for E14

The best heating is a gas heater... a E29 cylinder lasts well..

Ask Citizen's Info; that was not true when I first got it, and I was new in from the UK.
    mud wrote: »
    I'm not elegible, you have to be in receipt of benefit/allowance for two years.

This is what I was told at the local office when I applied for it :(

At the end of the day.. if you are fine there, that is fine.

No he cannot; please read the Tenancy Act at Threshold.

http://www.threshold.ie/
    No they can't but they can end the contract with 1 month's notice, same as I can.

I would guess he is not registered; but even then tenants are protected by law.. from this kind of thing, All most landlords care about is the money. So he will be threatening to knock the houses down to sop yo leaving. YOU can give a month's notice - more depending on how long you have been there - without a reason. He cannot. The law protects tenants.

Yes it is and yes we have a contract, that at this point only requires 1 month's notice either party to end it.

If that is your lease then it is illegal

If they though they were going to have grieve of any kind they'd just give notice and shut up the house and await planing premission.

They cannot legally do that.

I know what you saying, but we really can't afford a move right now and I have no doughts they would just close up this place, we would have to find an unfurnished place not so easy or pay for storage of out stuff.

I know; it is hard. I was going to stay put in the place I was in until November as nothing at the right price was coming up; we have an E85 ceiling for rent allowance in Donegal. My income is a small UK pension and I lost 1/3rd of that when sterling went down.
    There was no way I could have paid rent however low and had money for food, let alone heating. It is still an almighty daily struggle. I stay in bed most of the day because of that. Until the hands get too cold to knit...and I boil kettles over the coal fire to save electricity; rigged up a way to do that on an ordinary hearth.

But then the house flooded so no choice.. But I had in that year stood up to the landlord over issues there; they are so eager for the money .

And Threshhold were so helpful

I decided then that I was not going to let them walk all over me any more.

And we have cats and dogs so we understand...No way would we go anywhere they could not.
    This landlord ranted a wee bit but he has two dogs...

Rent allowance has been the key here; OK it went down but it is still a huge blessing for me. I get so little from my pension now.. I did not apply for it until my pension failed like that ..

Anyways, always our choice.

Peace this day as the wind roars.

Pet friendly as i believe pets are for life, not something you discard when things don't go as planed and at €400 per month, don't want to relay on rent allowence and then be in huge trouble like some friends of mine when the rent allowance is reduced. At least here we no we can pay the rent.

Didn't snow today but everything is still covered in a white blancket, hope it rains soon, really do.

You poor thing, at least we not stranded and we somewhat managing to keep the 2 rooms worm.

i have no idea who they are.

that was a great idea, put four on the bed last night it worked a treat :)

I honestly have to say too that I for one am deeply thankful for pension, rent allowance and all other benefits; that enable me to live in privacy in my own home. I have been disabled most of my life now, and I value all that is given.

Working on some records; many of us here almost within living memory would have been in workhouses or worse.

So now; keeping one room even slightly warm is fine.

Over and out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I get lone-parents and half rate illness benefit(102 euro p.w) so i don't get any fuel allowance. My house is old so it's harder to keep it warm, i have electric heater in every room, and with 3 kids i have to keep the house warm for them, if it was just me i would just sit on the fire all day.My E.S.B bill is going to be mad high, but I'm not too worried, I'm paying a bit off every week and will keep doing till i have paid it.
    I don't think the E.S.B would cut off my power if i keep doing this, well i hope they wont.

Tudlytops keep happy, getting down lonely makes things harder. I'm a bit like you, that i bought an older house so my mortgage would not be mad high. Good or bad idea I'm not sure, but it is what it is.
    Hope things get better for you soon!

Think the biggest thing in Ireland is we don't know what we are entitled to, and there may be some extra benefits out there for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Even Flow

????

Yes WE do!

You are trying to maintain that all SW recipients can apply and get ESB allowance. ESB allowance is part of the household benefits package and is only available to certain welfare recipients ie. carers allowance and disability allowance recipients ..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household_benefits_package

No point giving false hope to people.

Ask Citizen's Info; that was not true when I first got it, and I was new in from the UK.

You are on TOTALLY different benefits to me.

I am not elegible for fuel allowance end of

Even though I dearly wish I was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

20 euro gets you 5 bales of briquettes which if used economy can last a week space them by putting a log to bulk out the fire and get fire bricks to make the fire area smaller so you use less fuel

Many people have to improvise and 20 euro is better than nothing
    I find it a struggle I don't get that allowance and still Im able to manage

joes girls wrote: »
    I get lone-parents and half rate illness benefit(102 euro p.w) so i don't get any fuel allowance. My house is old so it's harder to keep it warm, i have electric heater in every room, and with 3 kids i have to keep the house warm for them, if it was just me i would just sit on the fire all day.My E.S.B bill is going to be mad high, but I'm not too worried, I'm paying a bit off every week and will keep doing till i have paid it.
    I don't think the E.S.B would cut off my power if i keep doing this, well i hope they wont.

Tudlytops keep happy, getting down lonely makes things harder. I'm a bit like you, that i bought an older house so my mortgage would not be mad high. Good or bad idea I'm not sure, but it is what it is.
    Hope things get better for you soon!

Think the biggest thing in Ireland is we don't know what we are entitled to, and there may be some extra benefits out there for you.

Thank you.

I'm not worried with the ESB either, it will get paid eventually, like you bit by bit, but the heater we have it's weak doesn't give out much heat at all.

The cottage its old, there's no ESB or water on it, so for the moment it's useless, but the way I see it, things can only get better and I won't be sick and unemployed forever, one day it will be home.

If we had kept the money it would've just be spent little by little, this way at least will have something, at the time I though it was a good idea and even though we don't have to penny's to our name now, i still believe that it was the right thing to do.

I'm better already, just by looking out and see the snow gone :)

BluesBerry wrote: »
    20 euro gets you 5 bales of briquettes which if used economy can last a week space them by putting a log to bulk out the fire and get fire bricks to make the fire area smaller so you use less fuel

Good for you, we don't have an open fire it has a small stove, and as I said if the house had double glazed windows it would make it so much easier to heat and maintain the heat on top of this the rooms are large rooms, this was once a lovely house, now it's just old.

We both have serious health issues and it's not been easy, when I was younger and healthy i would have been able to heat my house with very little too, but now the same amount of heat just isn't enough.

And all i asked for when I started this tread was for ideas, and i got some thank you to the people who did.

I didn't ask for any money or anything else for that matter.

So if you are able to heat you house with €20 a week, great for you, we aren't.

You said in another thread that you are living rent free?

More than anyone here is...
    You are on TOTALLY different benefits to me.

I am not elegible for fuel allowance end of

Even though I dearly wish I was

No I am not; I am a pensioner.

And it is income based.

My UK pension is way below Irish levels.

It works out about E110 a week..

If you are on a higher income of SW than that?

These things are supplements after all...

Even Flow wrote: »
    You are trying to maintain that all SW recipients can apply and get ESB allowance. ESB allowance is part of the household benefits package and is only available to certain welfare recipients ie. carers allowance and disability allowance recipients ..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/household_benefits_package

No point giving false hope to people.

You said in another thread that you are living rent free?

More than anyone here is...

What do you mean by that?

It is always going to be a struggle for many.

Always in a bad winter.

That just is how it is; and the OP is tackling it bravely as we all are.

Some houses - like this one- are just ******** impossible to heat properly; hence my love for empty bleach bottles!

And I took my "fire bricks " out to try to get more heat from the fire. They wil go back in when the weather eases.

And like many, only keep one room warm.

The best here is the superser by far. Instant heat

And the solid fuel allowance is meant to supplement not be a total.

BluesBerry wrote: »

@ op, have you got any of your facilities back?

Delighted to say I heard the beautiful sound of my cistern re-filling at 7.15 this evening.

8 days without felt like a long time.

Fingers crossed the water supply is back for good.

Can't wait to do loads of washing (both myself and my possessions) :)

Let us know how you get on!

This was not meant to turn into an argument, we're having a hard time at the moment and coming home to frozen house didn't help.

I needed to vent and that is what I done, and as I said before all I wanted was advice witch i got loads thank you to all that took the time.

This was never about who's worse then who, it is not a competition, don't think anyone wants to win that one, was just a moan.

Graces7 - thank you for all your kind words and advice.

• Advertisement

@ op, have you got any of your facilities back?

Delighted to say I heard the beautiful sound of my cistern re-filling at 7.15 this evening.

8 days without felt like a long time.

Fingers crossed the water supply is back for good.

Can't wait to do loads of washing (both myself and my possessions) :)

Let us know how you get on!

Yes , landlady sent someone to look at the boiler today, they couldn't fix it and they coming back tomorrow with parts, fingers crossed still have about 3 days of fuel in it..

Water pressure is low but working, so that is good.

Weather seams to me worming up a little so that is good to :)

Pets are still inside as it is still to cold to put them out but thier water din't freze over knight so it is getting better.
    ;)

Advertisement