Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I just finished Assassins Creed 2.. (spoilers)

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Its an amazing game, really well done, very enjoyable and an improvement on the first game. I like the way the main campaign was interesting and different unlike the first one, but you can still go do all those activities.

I have to say though I`m disappointed at the ending.
    Turns out the whole thing is the same premise as that naff film the core. Maybe its just the anti climax of finding out the big secret just to be disappointed they decided to steal the plot from the worst disaster movie made so far, its almost put me off assassins creed III.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Not to mention the final boss is
    the Pope! with a friggin magic staff! WTF? Come on Ubisoft, that sounded like a good finale to you?

I was hugely disappointed by the ending. It was so god-awful that I don't think I'll bother with the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Yup, I just sort of sat there and went....

"WTF was that!?"

Explained it to someone, and they just laughed... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Erm, the Core? Really... if anything it was more like the story behind Mass Effect.
    Mankind was created by a race which ruled over the Universe. This race was threatened by solar flares reaching Earth and other planets. Eventually wiped out but they used temples all over the world to preserve their history and technology, e.g the Pyramids. Now the Earth is threatened once again by the Sun and mankind must find and use the technology to survive. Both the Assassin's and the Templars are chasing this technology for their own reasons and up until now, unaware of the threat to the planet. The next game will probably involve globe trotting, which would be a great leap forward on the open world style to AC. So, instead of a few cities in a country, perhaps Desmond's ancestors or Desmond himself will be searching the World for these relics.

I really enjoyed AC2, it was the perfect sequel imo. Carried the story forward and expanded in scale. I would compare it to the Empire Strikes Back in terms of taking the series forward from where A New Hope began the Star Wars saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i think you missed the point of the ending if you think its the same as the core. overall i liked the ending expect the final fight which was just bad. looking forward to the next game to finish the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Great game, but the final boss was definitely a bit of a letdown, but the ending itself was perfectly fine... I'm wondering if the DLC will feature more of
    Rome
    , seeing as it fills in the 2 missing memory segments near the end.

/edit
    Seeing as the first DLC pack is called "Battle of Forli", I doubt it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,925 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wonder what direction they will take the final game in the trilogy in. With all the Bleeding stuff, i looks like Desmond could be an assassin - what they are aiming for - so I wonder if the final game could be set in the present day. But then the bad guys want Desmond back and they'd want him in order to go back in time through his memories again, so that may be where the trilogy goes too. Maybe they will split it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The end didn't bother me much, it did feel rushed and I wasn't surprised in the slightest, but to be honest I was expecting the story to commit suicide like fahrenheit's did... I did get a good laugh out of the
    "you're the prophet", "no, I can't be", "but you are", "right so, I guess I am"
    exchange near the end.

The end boss in general was just ****, I'd really rather it just didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I loved the game. When people here complain about the fight at the end, was it the build up with the character or just the fight itself? Well, either way I don't really agree. Really looking forward to ACIII.

Oh, and the two DLC, naturally.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Finished it last night myself.
    I really enjoyed the game, the ending was a bit naff alright but I've come to expect that with the Dan Brownesque plot by now. I wonder how such a game would work in a modern era. (I found the "real world" fighting awfully clunky) Perhaps as with the first game Ubisoft are messing with us since we all assumed ACII would be in feudal Japan.
    TBH it would work better as a historical game without the memory ****e. It works as a clever game mechanic sure but it's terrible for plot.

The final boss annoyed the hell out of me.
    When you fight him the first time in Venice the other NPCs and I just ended up kicking him about on the ground. In Rome with all the Agent Smiths Ezios I hit him with throwing knives and then kicked him around the floor a bit more. It was just awful from a gameplay perspective.

As regards DLC it seems Ubisoft are just lazily unlocking missions they cut out of the game.
    There's area's in Venice and Florence still unlocked. The south wall of Florence for example.

You can pick up a Family crypt to explore on the Uplay service for 30 ubi points, or whatever, also. It's beside the Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Liber8or wrote: »
    Erm, the Core? Really... if anything it was more like the story behind Mass Effect.
    Mankind was created by a race which ruled over the Universe. This race was threatened by solar flares reaching Earth and other planets. Eventually wiped out but they used temples all over the world to preserve their history and technology, e.g the Pyramids. Now the Earth is threatened once again by the Sun and mankind must find and use the technology to survive. Both the Assassin's and the Templars are chasing this technology for their own reasons and up until now, unaware of the threat to the planet. The next game will probably involve globe trotting, which would be a great leap forward on the open world style to AC. So, instead of a few cities in a country, perhaps Desmond's ancestors or Desmond himself will be searching the World for these relics.

I really enjoyed AC2, it was the perfect sequel imo. Carried the story forward and expanded in scale. I would compare it to the Empire Strikes Back in terms of taking the series forward from where A New Hope began the Star Wars saga.
    if you listen to the blond whatsherface she goes on about reversal of the earths magnetic field and its weakening, just like the core and tieing in with the solar flare stuff. I have since come to an even more chilling conclusion, its going to be like Core AND 2012, as there is plenty of the mayan prophecy stuff.

Dont get me wrong, the story as a whole has nothing to do with Core or 2012, but when you play across two cool games with relativity decent plot (I know its a pulp fiction of every conspiracy theory to be fair) I just felt a massive letdown when the big secret was basically a copy and paste of two awful scifi popcorn movies.

What direction the 3rd one takes should be interesting, its pretty obvious it will be set in modern times (but of course there is always the possibility of another historical story). I also feel that might take a bit from it, as running around during the crusader or rennassance times was pretty cool, where modern times have been done alot more. It`ll also be tough for them to work in guns without taking out the whole CQC element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I imagine there will be an ancestor part in AC3, having Desmond running around a Mirror's Edge style city wouldn't be as appealling as playing as someone in a historical city. It would be tougher to market too!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

I think they are going to stretch out the timeline a bit more, they seem to focus on turning points in European history, the crusades, the Renaissance. The logical next step is the French Revolution, the 1700s are the last period where people still used hand to hand weapons and dueling was still prevalent. I want them to keep away from the present as much as possible, I don't want it turning into a Splinter Cell rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Agreed about the final boss (especially because the results felt so scripted and taking control out of the players hand) but I loved the ending, I had a great chuckle at Ezio's expense and a grin on my face about how the dev's had chosen to turn the games on their head (or so to speak).
    I actually wouldn't mind Spain during the 20th Century Civil War as a location and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Was I the only one who found the the pope fight scene glitchy? I was able to throw him on the ground, pick him up and headbutt him to death, not very spectular!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I enjoyed the game, but like a lot of you, felt a bit let down with the ending. I spotted the story of The Truth after getting the second or third video segment, but it was a nice side-quest none the less. Where it's going for AC3? I'd say another historical - the French Revolution as GisforGrenade mentions would be a nice time alright. I can see it culminating with Desmond infiltrating Abstergo's HQ and fighting his way to the top. An external near-future modern environment would/should be too richly populated with open spaces and guns to make it an effective game location, but a big building with air-vents and corridors and rooms to duck in and out of - that might work well and make more ideal conditions for close quarter fighting.
    Incidentally, did anyone find the pistol attachment in any way useful as a "day to day" weapon? I rarely used anything other than the hidden blades and Altair's sword as I found it too cumbersome and the later enemies too well armoured or trained to make use of knife fighting the way I did in the first (where I almost always just used the knife when surrounded by enemies).

Over-all, I found it a big improvement on AC1 and am looking forward to seeing the third instalment. Hadn't realised there was going to be DLC, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with that too. And I forgot I bought that Ancestors Tomb add-on with my UbiSoft points, I'm gonna finish this race I'm doing in Forza and fire it up to have a look at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I loved this game but was never too enamoured with the whole animus/templar concept - in fact the beginning of this game was absolutely terrible IMO, I really wanted to punch that smarmy British guy, oh how I tried. I paid little attention to the Truth samples etc but although the ending was a complete mindf**k, it did get me pumped about the next installment, which has to count for something. Hopefully fuedal Japan where you get trained to be a ninja :eek:

One problem with the ending though
    I felt really bad for Ezio. The Minerva character really gave him a short shrift as she knew Desmond was controlling him but still... I felt much more connected to the Ezio character than Desmond and he deserved a better send-off. Also I'm wondering what is the point of 2 DLC's being released? I mean, Ezio's story is over, it just seems a little pointless to do more missions within the gameworld

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was a bit dissapointed too with the ending, I thought that
    having the ancient/alien race with advanced technology that the templars wanted to use to rule the world was enough. Adding in the stuff about the sun just seemed a bit silly and frivolous.

They did mention at the end that now they have to go searching for the bits of ancient technology to save the Earth, so I think AC3 will involve going into Desmonds memories of different times and places to track them down, then maybe going to collect them in the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also I'm wondering what is the point of 2 DLC's being released? I mean, Ezio's story is over, it just seems a little pointless to do more missions within the gameworld[/spoiler]
    Towards the end of the game, they tell you that some of the memories were corrupted, and the story for Ezio jumps by a good few years. The DLC will be those missions it skipped (I think they game jumps from Memory 10 - Memory 13, so the 2 DLC's will be Memorys 11 and 12). I heard that one of them includes the flying machine again

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I heard that one of them includes the flying machine again
    It feckin better.Missed out on that trophy the 1st time and I dont wanna go through the game again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

I had no serious problems with the plot,
    although the whole earth is dying thing was a bit weak and felt out of place considering the rest of the game, including the whole truth stuff was all about the corruption of man by the Templars. Don't think the game needed another plot axis.

Also the final fight was fairly rubbish, but I found the whole fighting mechanic to be fairly crap. It was almost offensive in just how bad it was, compared with other recent titles like Batman Arkham Asylum. It was the one area they failed to improve from the first game and really ruined any immersion in the game. I really hope they address this in the next release because I don't think I stand it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

One possibility for the future game is that Desmond has those non animus flashbacks while working his way through a fight in the current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It feckin better.Missed out on that trophy the 1st time and I dont wanna go through the game again :(

They were going to include the ability to jump back to any DNA strand and replay it again originally, but cut it out for some reason. Would be nice if they could re-implement it with the DLC downloads. Being able to fire up the saved game and jump straight to the flying mission just to show folks would be pretty cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished it yesterday, and 1k'ed it at 3am (f**king feathers). Brilliant game and definitely up there as one of the best of the year. The final fisticuffs was a big anticlimax, but I liked the bit in the vault - especially when she said Desmond's name at the end.

They are going to have to do something special with the DLC to make it worth the money. Each sequence in the game took no more than 90-120 mins, and I don't think people will fork over a tenner for 2 hours of more of the same.

As for AC3, I expect we are going to see more than one time zone. We'll see Altair back in his period, Ezzio back in Italy, and maybe one or two other assassins in other time periods, looking for other vaults. Something like Feudal Japan or the French Revolution would be very cool. It'd add a nice bit of variety, and would put the focus more on the present day storyline (to tie it all together) - rather than it being an afterthought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

finished it yesterday meself thought the ending was a bit strange but enjoyed playing the game. never played assassins creed 1 so am i missing out on something????

btw how do ye go about finding the rest of subject 16's videos like the ''truth'' videos??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you go to the locations section of the database there is an eye icon beside the images of buildings with a minigame tag on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gotta agree with Sea08, a combat system like Arkham Asylum's would be fraking awesome :) I found it broke the flow of the game when you're standing there waiting for an attack that you can dodge-counter when surrounded. It was too messy trying to go on the offensive as you'd end up being butchered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I thought the ending was pretty good :o
    Although the "boss" "fight" was pants :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I still haven't played the first one (on PC), would I have to play that to get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I still haven't played the first one (on PC), would I have to play that to get this?

I'm about to start the sequel after only just finishing the 1st. For the story you could just read the wiki page to get up to speed, but I really enjoyed my play-through, would recommend picking it up cheap.

When is the DLC out? – I may wait for it before starting the game.

edit
    ----
    Downloadable content

On December 1, 2009 Ubisoft announced its first two downloadable content (DLC) releases for Assassin's Creed II for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The first one entitled Battle for Forlì will continue the story of Caterina Sforza and is expected to come out at the end of January 2010. The second one, entitled Bonfire of the Vanities, will likely concern the mass burning of sinful objects in Florence and is scheduled to be released at the end of February 2010.[26] Content for both of the DLC packs were initially planned to be included as part of the main game but later cut due to time constraints.

so should it not be free/cheap?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

i completed it and can I just say it had the worst ending ever in history.

Advertisement