Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl rip off!

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

this week lidl have an offer on 400g irwins brown soda for 69cent here but last week the exact same brown sada bread was on sale for 89cent but weighed 500g they cut the price but also cut the weight by almost the same percentage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Price decrease 22.5%, weight decrease 20% ;)

The price seems pretty cheap as it is anyway. Would you always eat the whole loaf or would 20% go in the bin is the main question I guess :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cormie wrote: »
    Price decrease 22.5%, weight decrease 20% ;)

The price seems pretty cheap as it is anyway. Would you always eat the whole loaf or would 20% go in the bin is the main question I guess :P
    well the soda i got today was not as nice as last weeks so more than 20% may end in the bin or feeding robins in my yard, it seemed very stodgey like those chaep brown sliced pans so i would think either irwins or lidl is making a killing on this so use your loaf when buying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Its a different bread. The 500g is a traditional soda with buttermilk and the 400g is a soda style with no buttermilk. - Little things like this are noticed when there's a vegan in the house :)

69 cent for a loaf of bread is a rip off? wow.

Even if McCaul's post wasn't true. It's hardly Lidl's fault if Irwins changed the size of their loaf. At least they would have changed the price to match. Other supermarkets may not have done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

69 cent for a loaf of bread is a rip off? wow.

Even if McCaul's post wasn't true. It's hardly Lidl's fault if Irwins changed the size of their loaf. At least they would have changed the price to match. Other supermarkets may not have done so.
    oh dear you should read the original post and see the link! as the bread was advertised as being 22% cheaper when in effect it was only 2% cheaper.

@mcaul, the only brown soda bread on sale last week was the standard round irwins brown soda 500gram so either they are advertising a reduction compared to a non-existant previous price/product or they have reduced the pack size to negate any real saving from the advertised price reduction.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    oh dear you should read the original post and see the link! as the bread was advertised as being 22% cheaper when in effect it was only 2% cheaper.

Apologies OP I didn't even notice the link.

I still think maybe rip off is the wrong term as it's very very cheap for a loaf of soda bread. Maybe misleading might have been more appropriate.

Anywho, sorry for not reading it properly in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The link doesn't work, you should have quoted the text of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

@mcaul, the only brown soda bread on sale last week was the standard round irwins brown soda 500gram so either they are advertising a reduction compared to a non-existant previous price/product or they have reduced the pack size to negate any real saving from the advertised price reduction.

Did you highlight this with the NCA?

Advertisement