Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail clippers

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can buy nail clippers for a dog? It's for my parents, their dog is old and they don't want to have to bring her to the Vet just to get her nails clipped because she always bolts at the door and hates the place so they'd rather not put her through that just for the sake of getting them clipped. They've done it many times before so know what to do but can't find the old clippers anywhere, anyone know where I could pick one up for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Pet stores or vets usually sell them.
    I got mine in the vets before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

star-pants wrote: »
    Pet stores or vets usually sell them.
    I got mine in the vets before.

This!

Also, www.zooplus.ie sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

think its JML that have the filing ones in Dunnes (or is it tesco's).

They are filing ones, so not as scary as the clippers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

votejohn wrote: »
    think its JML that have the filing ones in Dunnes (or is it tesco's).

They are filing ones, so not as scary as the clippers!

Actually has anyone used that JML nail filer? Would be interested in hearing what it's like as so many dogs hate getting their nails clipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Actually has anyone used that JML nail filer? Would be interested in hearing what it's like as so many dogs hate getting their nails clipped.

Hi Clare Bear,

I bought one through eBay a few weeks ago, finally arrived a few weeks ago.
    Not very nice to look at, seems cheap & has a plasticky feel/look to it.
    But that’s just because I got confused & thought I was buying the original peticure version & not the jml one :o

BUT compared to a guillotine nail clippers its fab! :D
    DEFINITELY recommend it.

It doesn’t make too much noise but its (JML) quite big to hold when you're trying to hold down a wriggling dog, hold their paw, hold back hair from the nail, grip the nail etc.

I have in the past used my own nail files on her and then I bought an electric manicure one
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0547989/Trail/searchtext%3EMANICURE.htm
    this worked well, quicker to use than a file & quiet, but I really liked the idea of these doggy files having a “nail rest”, seemed safer to me than this slipping and catching her pads...

Strength wise it’s not that good, the motor is weaker than I'd like & I’m using it on a Bischon’s nails, probably because its battery operated?
    I’m going to buy another one maybe the peticure (www.peticure.com) or PetZoom Nail Groom and hopefully it'll be a stronger motor if its mains operated.

Definitely recommend using any of these types of "non clippers" :)

Recommend you have a handful of doggies favourite treats handy, (I use dog chocolate drops) and let her/him hear the noise, reassure, give treat.
    Hold paw as though you're going to use it, but don’t, more reassurance & treat.
    Then use it for 2/3 seconds so they feel the vibration, more treats ;)
    Then finally use it for 15 seconds, break, treat and then do the whole paw = 1 treat.

I don't file too much off, just got her used to it first, so ended up using it several times this week and now she cant wait to have her pawicure!!
    Puts her paw on my lap waiting, shes turned into a right little madam :P

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That's great, thanks for all the info Kiya! :) I'm thinking of getting it or something similar for work as any dogs that come in to us are terrified of the nail clippers. Definitely going to give it a go now, if not the JML one then I'll check out other more professional ones, it'd make life a lot easier. Thanks! :)

Advertisement