Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling gaps in the attic..

• 10-01-2010 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My pipes are frozen too, but that's a side issue.. :-)

I fixed the holes in the attic with Evo Stick Big Foam Expanding Foam Filler. Will this be enough to stop the rats getting in ... I left traps up there and caught a few giant ones last year.

Will they try and eat through it?

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

They will eat through it no problem at all, even mice would.......not sure where holes are but is cement an option? Foam is a waste of time and money to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

zziplex, thanks for your response.

I thought it would be just a token gesture as well, but it's actually tough stuff.. If it fails though, what will I do? It's a hole in the ceiling, so gravity is not on my side, but how do you fill in a hole in the ceiling? Me being someone who is not so good at DIY...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Steel wool. Lots of it, then plaster over it.

Good luck, sounds awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

zziplex, thanks for your response.

I thought it would be just a token gesture as well, but it's actually tough stuff.. If it fails though, what will I do? It's a hole in the ceiling, so gravity is not on my side, but how do you fill in a hole in the ceiling? Me being someone who is not so good at DIY...

Im not being smart but if rats or mice want to get through it they will no problem it will fail been there seen it.....A hole in the ceiling you mean the plasterboard? It depends how big the hole is that needs reparing?

Also think how are the rats getting into your attic in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My father(Old school) had 2 proven methods of dealing with Rats and mice.

1. Try not to block the hole. You have the advantage that you know where they are coming from. This makes it easier when setting traps,

2. If you must block the hol fill it with broken glass. What happens is the Rats cut themselves on the glass and are savaged when they go back to there nest thingy.

Never use poision. Because you dont know where the rats will die. As for the sonic detectors. There is an on going legal case in america to prove that these are about as effective as the emporers new clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I think if I had a problem like that I would be calling in the experts and get it sorted once and for all. Rentokil or some such company....they may be pricey but, hey, at least you would get it sorted!

Hi guys,

My pipes are frozen too, but that's a side issue.. :-)

I fixed the holes in the attic with Evo Stick Big Foam Expanding Foam Filler. Will this be enough to stop the rats getting in ... I left traps up there and caught a few giant ones last year.

Will they try and eat through it?

thanks..

Advertisement