Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to do the LC after being away from education for 3 years.

Options
  • 10-01-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some background info, might help with the advice/info I need.

I'm 18 (19 in a few weeks). I left school 3 years ago, due to years of psychological bullying, I had enough so left. The school 'tried' to 'help' me, they talked to the bullies whenever there was a incident, but that was it. A few minutes being told off and it started again. I was being bullied both inside and outside school, obviously the school could only do something about the bullying that went on within the school. In the end, after getting sick of me complaining about bullying, the school basically told to either put up and shut up, or leave, as they could do nothing more than they had already done. So I left. I then stayed away from school for the fear if I did go back (to another school) the same thing would happen. Also, as there aren't many secondary schools on my town (we don't have a car, so a school outside town wasn't an option) and the people who were bullying me had friends in all the schools in my town (strange as it may sound, it is true).

I have no state examinations. Even the last school report I got, in every subject I got 'no grade', because I wasn't in school a lot of the time, I preferred to stay at home because I knew in school I would be bullied. When I was 16 my mother had to walk me to school in the morning and my granny had to pick me up when school was finished at 4pm, because it wasn't safe for me to walk home alone.

So last year (2009) I decided to go back and go my Junior Cert, but I left the first day, because after talking to a few people, I came to the decision that the course wasn't for me, it was the first time in years I had been in a classroom and I wasn't prepared for how strange it would be for me to be back in a classroom, as a student. Also, as I had to work preparation done, I found it difficult. We were given some maths sheets with adding, subtraction and multiplication and even with subtraction I made a lot of mistakes. So I left and I plan to go back and do my LC this year, but with some preparation work done before hand.

I was thinking maybe in March/April, I could get some books and make a start, and then I'd have some knowledge of what to expect in terms of school/homework work etc.

I would prefer to go somewhere where are people around my own age (18/19). I'd also like somewhere that doesn't have large numbers of pupils in each class. In my old secondary school (before I left) each class varied with student numbers, but the average number of students in each class was around 30-40. I am not very bright (since leaving school years ago, I seem to have forgotten everything), but once it's explained to me and once I do understand, and if I concentrate/make the effort, I can get good marks.

So, basically what I need advice is:

1) Can anyone recommend any books to help me?

Also, can anyone recommend any schools in Dublin (pref not the city centre) that do the Established Leaving Certificate for a mature student with no state exmainations please? I have looked, but all I can find for mature students is courses for those who are 23+.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

If you can't do simple JC maths how will you perform at LC maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

If you can't do simple JC maths how will you perform at LC maths?

From my original post:
    I was thinking maybe in March/April, I could get some books and make a start, and then I'd have some knowledge of what to expect in terms of school/homework work etc.

If I got some books, I could make a start and at least, I'd have some knowledge and be able to do the maths. As I said in my first post, once I understand what it is I am doing, I can do well. All it would take is for me to make an effort and I know I could do well.

Before I went to do the JC, I had absolutely no work preparation done, so therefore was stuck. With the LC I plan to have some work done, so I know what to expect and I would be prepared.

I know it will be hard, but I am determined to do well. No matter what it takes I want to do well for my career, and I have to start somewhere (as we all do).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make an appointment to speak to someone in Pearse College (CDVEC).
    http://www.pearsecollege.ie/

They are experts in people returning to education.

Here's their Adult Leaving Cert. page: http://www.pearsecollege.ie/adult_leaving_certificate.html

To be honest, they might ask you to do a Junior Cert first, for a number of reasons, not least your self-esteem but also to gauge your level at the moment.

They will also know of similar courses around the city.

You should probably start with the Junior Cert. You might not be capable of doing the Leaving Cert yet.

spurious wrote: »
    Make an appointment to speak to someone in Pearse College (CDVEC).
    http://www.pearsecollege.ie/

They are experts in people returning to education.

Here's their Adult Leaving Cert. page: http://www.pearsecollege.ie/adult_leaving_certificate.html

To be honest, they might ask you to do a Junior Cert first, for a number of reasons, not least your self-esteem but also to gauge your level at the moment.

They will also know of similar courses around the city.
    Thank you.

Although, is it an actual requirment by the Dept. of Education to have the JC before doing the LC? As when I first applied to Plunkett college for the JC, they told me because I am 18, and going back as a mature student, I could go ahead and do the LC without needing/having the JC?

• Advertisement

You'd be better to do the JC first. You might not be ready for the LC just yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No it's not a requirement to have done the JC before the LC.

You can of course just go straight to Leaving. I just suggested it as you sounded a bit like someone who'd had the stuffing knocked out of them (so to speak) and the JC is a great self-esteem booster, particularly for adult candidates who tend to do very well indeed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No. You don't need a JC to do the LC, cause in my old school a load of foreigners who just came into the country joined in 5th year/6th year and went ahead with it.

Honestly, for your education sakes and times sake I would suggest going back and doing the JC. There is quite a big step up from JC to LC, I mean it isn't necessary but it helps so damn much. I mean it basically just prepares us for the LC, its the stepping stone. Personal example, in science for the JC, i was thrown into the worst science class in my year due to my poor results in it in 1st/2st year and now I'm in 6th year but for the last year and a half in Biology i've had to learn things from the start, it adds a good bit of work. I couldn't really imagine someone who couldn't do a JC maths exam stepping up and doing the stuff in LC, its not that different but it is a step up.

But with that said it isn't necessary but it does help.
    It really just depends on your workrate/ability to understand new things quick, which you said to be good at, so I don't really know.

Regardless of what you do, I wish you all the best.

Thank you all for your help.

Tbh, I'd prefer to go straight in and do the LC without the JC.

As I've said before, once I understand what it is I'm doing, and with some effort, I can do well.

Yea. But all the same it's a big step. You should prepare with the JC first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I fele really sorry for you,Your whole life and future being affected by those scum bags!

Try and Contact the Board of Education and see if they can help in anyway,explain your situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

If you do complete the leaving cert., what do you want to after?

Yea. But all the same it's a big step. You should prepare with the JC first.
    I do understand that it is a big step. But I also know that if I put the hard work, time and effort in (which I will) I can do well.
    Seloth wrote: »
    I fele really sorry for you,Your whole life and future being affected by those scum bags!

Try and Contact the Board of Education and see if they can help in anyway,explain your situation :)
    Thank you, yes they did affect my eductation and career as I did out my life on hold because of them for a number of years.
    theowen wrote: »
    If you do complete the leaving cert., what do you want to after?
    Go on to third level and maybe do counselling or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I would say there are many subjects in the leaving cert that you could do well in if you put in the work. I'm just basing this on your original posting which as far as I can see gives evidence of someone who is very bright and capable.

Leaving Cert Maths might be a problem alright but there are many courses at third level you do not require maths for.

Check out www.qualifax.ie for courses and subject requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

plunketts college, whitehall ?

pathway33 wrote: »
    I would say there are many subjects in the leaving cert that you could do well in if you put in the work. I'm just basing this on your original posting which as far as I can see gives evidence of someone who is very bright and capable.

Leaving Cert Maths might be a problem alright but there are many courses at third level you do not require maths for.

Check out www.qualifax.ie for courses and subject requirements
    Thank you.
    pathway33 wrote: »
    plunketts college, whitehall ?
    I went there to do the JC and didn't see many people my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well it depends on what you're looking for, if you're just looking to have the LC to your name do all Pass subjects (foundation if needed), it's not too far off JC level in a lot of subjects. However, if you're looking for points to get into college then it's a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help.

Tbh, I'd prefer to go straight in and do the LC without the JC.

As I've said before, once I understand what it is I'm doing, and with some effort, I can do well.

Fair play!

I know a girl who went back and did her leaving cert when she was 25. Anything is possible, when you put your mind to it :)

It's never too late either!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Well it depends on what you're looking for, if you're just looking to have the LC to your name do all Pass subjects (foundation if needed), it's not too far off JC level in a lot of subjects. However, if you're looking for points to get into college then it's a different story.
    The reason I am going to do the LC is because I want to go to third level and get a degree.
    Fair play!

I know a girl who went back and did her leaving cert when she was 25. Anything is possible, when you put your mind to it :)

It's never too late either!
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

i am in the same boat but have a jc...thanks for bringing this up, i want to do the leaving full time too so will be keeping a keep eye on this post! has anywhere advised you as of yet where you could do it???lc that is??

i live right by plunkets but aint got no mula to do any of their courses

education free me arse!

• Advertisement

i am in the same boat but have a jc...thanks for bringing this up, i want to do the leaving full time too so will be keeping a keep eye on this post! has anywhere advised you as of yet where you could do it???lc that is??

i live right by plunkets but aint got no mula to do any of their courses

education free me arse!
    My mum rang Pearse College yesterday (no, I didn't ask her, she thought she'd help me, bless her) and they are having an open day on Jan 27th (two weeks from today, exactly).

Each applicant has to have two interviews, and depending on those interviews, you may asked to go for a third interview.

They also said you can print off the application form from their website. Now, they didn't say whether you should bring that on 27th or not, so I'm gonna ring them tomorrow to find out.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement