Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long did it take for you?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi just wondering is there an average length of time it takes to get pregnant after coming off the pill? ive been on it since 2005? thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Once your period has returned to a regular patterns, and assuming you are of average age, the average time to conceive is 7 months, longer if you are older or have irregular periods.

In our case, it took us three years of actively trying and three rounds of fertility treatment to conceive (I had come off the pill a year before we started ttc) the first time. The second time was a "planned surprise", ie we didn't ttc, but didn't prevent for about 10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

don't bother waiting for periods to return after pill unless there's a medical reason for you.
    Some women actually get a fertility surge shortly after stopping the pill.

It is recommended to wait for dating purposes, but you can get an EDD from a scan anyway.

We started trying straight away and my 'proper' period never came :D They had my dates wrong for a while, but it got fixed after the scan so no worries really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

ebmma wrote: »
    We started trying straight away and my 'proper' period never came :D

The same happened to my mom with me :) Except in those days they didn't do scans, so my mom was rather surprised when she went into labour 200 miles away from home and thinking she was 6 months gone... she thought I was a badly digested cheese pizza until to the doctor's surprise, I came out full size :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

About 3 months for me. Its different for everyone. My sister got married in Spetember and we were both pregnant in January and gave birth 10 days apart, obviously we both waited until after the wedding to try.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I had 2 natural periods after coming off a 9 year stint on the pill. Really though we got the result the first cycle we landed the right fertile time.

The only thing to really be aware of is that your cycles can be really reeeeeeaaaalllly long to begin with. Mine were 60, 72, 65 days. The first cycle was maddening because I didn't know when I had ovulated and didn't know when my period was due. I was testing every 2 days from day 30! After that we started fertility monitoring and it was much better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks girlies im nearly 27

Advertisement