Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Looking at raintoday.co.uk there is something coming into Waterford about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

3 degrees on the way into work.. thaw had started at home... Snow came right off the car and no ice underneath.. Did crash on the way in but only a small bump from me messing and being tired and couldn't control it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cant believe its thawing down the country, it appears this snow event is being ruined by unexpected higher tempertures leading to rain in parts of the east and south later today ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

thaw is on big time here. the thick powdery snow that was sitting there when i went to bed at 2am has been halved in volume and what's left is turning wet and slushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not too sure what part of the country you are referring to, check out the temps countrywide at the moment here

EDIT: It would appear temps on the east coast are at 2-4c at the moment
    Pangea wrote: »
    Cant believe its thawing down the country, it appears this snow event is being ruined by unexpected higher tempertures leading to rain in parts of the east and south later today ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

At least by the end of the week we should have a good thaw countrywide, can get some important work done then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what a kick in the teeth not only did we avoid the snow all yesterday from the Isle of Many but the temperatures have been rising fast, theres a thaw on and its drizzling rain! Game well and trully over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Still -4 here. Light snow shower about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh please! I want one!!! Never seen those... are they good?

They are good, not sure if they're still around though. Damn tasty when they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

4.5 in mallow town,beat ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wonderful thought indeed. Min.. the only "ruination" is to lives and livelihoods now.
    Min wrote: »
    At least by the end of the week we should have a good thaw countrywide, can get some important work done then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Darwin wrote: »
    Not too sure what part of the country you are referring to, check out the temps countrywide at the moment here

EDIT: It would appear temps on the east coast are at 2-4c at the moment
    lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

mickger wrote: »
    Looking at raintoday.co.uk there is something coming into Waterford about now.

wish it would hurry on as it has been hanging out there for the last few hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at temps and dew points around the coasts (including the south coast), I think very many will see drizzle and light rain (well inland), snow for far fewer (higher ground inland and very cold spots inland).

Precipitation really seems to be light and patchy on the radar. If it was or gets heavier, then there would be a better chance for snow as the heavier precipitation brings lower temps with it.

If you have been following/accepting MTs forecast then there will be no reason for disappointment! :o

Having said that, I hope Met E are proved right? :o

At least I got lots of un-forecast snow last night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snow disappearring from wall tops, roofs etc, not pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Lashing wet sleet
    3.4/0.1C
    The little that settled last night is all but gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

omg i will literly go mad if that crappy mild slush 2c weather comes here what is bringing it its even in scotland omg! ugh! note still -4c here.

I stil have a little Cadburys here; was meant to be sent to Canada where it is a fearful price, but life without a little sweetness is not to be contemplated....
    hoody wrote: »
    They are good, not sure if they're still around though. Damn tasty when they were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Very grey skies here that look like to be full of snow. Snow that fell earlier not melting. Temp is -0.4c

Good morning Owen; so sorry your computer has lost all its punctuation keys again.

Cannot make this out at all, at all...

Tell us when to send the men in white coats in to fetch you?
    owenc wrote: »
    omg i will literly go mad if that crappy mild slush 2c weather comes here what is bringing it its even in scotland omg! ugh! note still -4c here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Well here in Kildare its snowing again on top of what fell last night, about 5-6cm, and there is no thaw here in sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »

If you have been following/accepting MTs forecast then there will be no reason for disappointment! :o
    It has been on the money pretty much throughout :)

3.1/0.2C

Shower has passed, water butts filling, no breaking of ice to water animals this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

According to my thermometer it is -2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope you all got what you wished for last night.
    Whats the state of the N11 (Wicklow side), is it drivable?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

argh! it is -3.8c here now and metcheck are forecasting it to get to 6c on saturday for god sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

come tuesday we will have forgotton all about this cold weather and we will be back into the usual miserable winter mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Thaw on here in Colpe Cross nead Drogheda, Temp 2.3ºC atm. Hail now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

argh! it is -3.8c here now and metcheck are forecasting it to get to 6c on saturday for god sake!

You're not owed snow/low temperatures so will you please stop acting like someone attacked you, of course it's going to return to a more normal temperature eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

It's the beginning of the end of this spell. No snow here overnight at all and it feels a bit milder. Time to look for the next cold spell. If there is one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Supercell wrote: »
    Hope you all got what you wished for last night.
    Whats the state of the N11 (Wicklow side), is it drivable?

Dunno SC... its just been raining here. I dare say its pretty good cos there wasnt any real snow here yesterday afternoon to now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement