Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

All my powder is disappearing and snow turning to slush! Gah

Your sig is very apt mothman!

I suspect that my earlier yesterday assessment is going to be close.
    Thats a snow to sleet to rainy sleet event in coastal margins.
    Get a bit inland and adjacent to higher ground but at low altitude and you should be fine for the time being if you want snow.

In Dublin,I'd say the snow line will retreat to somewhere like Dundrum/Goatstown area.Thats what it used do in 80's events like this when they were marginal.
    Inland of there and higher will hold on to the snow longest and I'd obviously include docarchs location in that.
    There'll be dripping on roof's but sticking on the ground.

I've seen a few events in Dublin like that.
    Rainy sleet in UCD [having started as snow] and full snow albeit wet at goatstown/kilmacud and Dundrum.

I can't offer an opinion on North Dublin as I've no experience of it.
    It looks like inland leinster will also get a shedload except perhaps the far south of leinster where eventually the mild will encroach - when though is the question.

Munster I havent even looked at but it looks likely that the mild will win there quicker and the snow line will rapidly retreat up over 1000ft asl.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

whats even worse no footie on today!

No snow even to report in SE UK like was forcast. Any bands of percip (Off UK east coast and between wales and SE Ireland) are just sitting there and not moving, looks like this sunday/monday event is a wash out!

Supercell wrote: »
    Hope you all got what you wished for last night.
    Whats the state of the N11 (Wicklow side), is it drivable?
    I crashed last night in a 4x4 in low 4 wheel drive :(
    So I guess it's ok unless you want to turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Munster I havent even looked at but it looks likely that the mild will win there quicker and the snow line will rapidly retreat up over 1000ft asl.

I think leahyl may explode when he awakes and reads this as he's expecting to be snowed in for a week :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Is there a chance this will just affect eastern coasts as meto still have maxes rising but are only rising to about 2c...... or is this just for the southeners as they seem to be the only ones getting to 5-6c i would feel sorry if anyone got tht high......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met Eireann's forecast outlook is very messy though, some places mild and rainy, and perhaps the cold hanging on in others. Personally, I'd like a mild few days - get my mains working again, and a bit of normality.

Damn, did I just wish for mild weather? I did didn't I? Time for the cardigan,slippers and hot cocoa.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MammyNotSpammy

MetCheck and BBC weather have been saying for the last few days that it will be all day rain in Dublin for today and tomorrow. Very dark skies on the northside, fingers crossed it isn't rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

snaps wrote: »
    whats even worse no footie on today!

No snow even to report in SE UK like was forcast. Any bands of percip (Off UK east coast and between wales and SE Ireland) are just sitting there and not moving, looks like this sunday/monday event is a wash out!

brilliant - a washout is ideal - don't want snow anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

in fairness to met.ie they said rain / sleet on the south and east coasts. tmps are holding cold as you go inland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

The beginning of a mini thaw is well and truly on here in Dublin. Not even 9am yet and it's already a balmy 3c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

accuweather has the cold coming back around the 22nd for the west anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I crashed last night in a 4x4 in low 4 wheel drive :(
    So I guess it's ok unless you want to turn.

Thanks, thats warning enough. I read on aaroadwatch that the Annamoe road should be avoided due to black ice anyhow. I parked my car on a slight bend (nowhere else to park it) ,hoping some twat hasn't crashed into it over night.
    Seems to have been graupel all night here. It continues now, depths here are approaching silly, but there were already yesterday, what difference does a few more inches make when you already have too much :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Atleast 4-5 inches deep here now in kildare and its still snowing,according to sky news weather [whom always seem to be spot on] we will get more snow up until atleast Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Some picks from my back garden in Naas. Total accumalation looks to be about 6 inches in general. No noticeable thaw and graupel still falling.

STA71462.JPG

STA71463.JPG

It wont be a quick wash out.
    The ground is so cold.

Whats making this even more marginal is that surface air over Britain is mostly above zero now aswell...Even in Birmingham.
    In fact despite a land breeze west wales is above zero and wait for it,the summit of snowdon is +2.2c with a similar temp on snaefell on the isle of man.
    Newcastles airport has a dp of only -1c and thats one of the most northerly parts of the source of our air.
    It's going to modify like mad as it crosses the irish sea.
    We will inland get the benefit of our own cold pool but bear in mind we're importing modified air and exporting/diminishing our own cold pool all the while.

As you say-it all spells a slow and messy conversion to rain everywhere eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DDigital wrote: »
    Some picks from my back garden in Naas. Total accumalation looks to be about 6 inches in general. No noticeable thaw and graupel still falling.

STA71462.JPG

STA71463.JPG

Nice one, my snow looks pitiful compared to that this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Listening to newstalk 9 am news no mention of any thaw. If I listened to what they were saying I would think Dublin was sub zero. I think they should come here and get there info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

oh well, another couple of days on boards getting my hopes up only to have them dashed in an instant! Oh well, i'll get out of my bed and go and feed the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

By the looks of things we got no snow here in Navan last night. Hoping for some today.

• Advertisement

As non events go this could be the one to beat all. Let's wait and see. In the back of my mind I'm thinking... No snow was ever forecast for here today so does that mean that this will be an epic snow day now?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Snow started falling off the roof here about 4.30am or so. Big dark clouds overhead now, look more like rain than snow clouds in my very non expert opinion. Snow is still deep but it's been thawing all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Methinks this snow is a no show.

Still nothing in Tipp Town..........

snaps wrote: »
    oh well, another couple of days on boards getting my hopes up only to have them dashed in an instant! Oh well, i'll get out of my bed and go and feed the birds.
    Ironically,you anddeep Easterly have a much higher chance of see'ing snow for longer out of this that the Easties!
    And before the change you could see a lot!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

so wait... what's going on?

a non-event today?

after last night?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This is the only place im reading/hearing anything of a thaw.
    Where do you guys get your info from?

Just watched sky news there now and it is snowing in UK right now, also confirmed by some guys i play world of warcraft with :)

taken from sky news website
    More heavy snow showers are sweeping across Britain and piling more pressure on the nation's already-stretched winter resources.
    Forecasters warned up to 20cm of snow could settle today and tomorrow causing a fresh round of travel disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Lashing rain here now, with some sleet n stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Dcully wrote: »
    This is the only place im reading/hearing anything of a thaw.
    Where do you guys get your info from?

Just watched sky news there now and it is snowing in UK right now, also confirmed by some guys i play world of warcraft with :)

taken from sky news website

Well I can confirm that currently there is no thaw in West Limerick. The NRA is showing the 0800 data as typically -4deg C so thats no change since the 0600 data. Will see how the 0900 looks when it is updated.

I assume that big lump over Cornwall on the uk 8.30 radar is what we are waiting on. Any chance it will stall and not make it to irealnd at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

manonmir wrote: »
    I think leahyl may explode when he awakes and reads this as he's expecting to be snowed in for a week :p

I actually cannot believe what i'm Reading. So depressed. Back to stupid rain and work tomorrow. I am never getting excited about snow again.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement