Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Well this morning has been the warmest all week, we're at 0 degrees now in Carrickmacross.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So Dublin is expect a bit of snow changing to sleet and then rain (maybe) and then the same again Mon and Tues?

Is that right?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like wave two arriving from the SE now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

alot of snow has disappeared from the ground since last night, its melting...!!! :mad: Its 3 degrees here, any precipitation we get now will be rain. cant believe it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

3 degrees in rathfarnham, and there is a thaw, good amount of snow fell last night but I am hoping for the temps to drop down again and for it to snow. might go for a walk and check the radar again in an hour to see what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

The BBC Tv forecast just showed nothing really landing on Ireland at all today apart from snow in the east again overnight tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd say we've seen the last of the snachta lads, its very mild up where i am, major thaw going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »
    I actually cannot believe what i'm Reading. So depressed. Back to stupid rain and work tomorrow. I am never getting excited about snow again.:(

Aww, don't dispare Leahyl, its still freezing here in West Limerick and the NRA data for the South of the country still generally is below freezing.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

damn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Tactical wrote: »
    Aww, don't dispare Leahyl, its still freezing here in West Limerick and the NRA data for the South of the country still generally is below freezing.

Nah I have enough now tbh tactical. Looked out the window and there's a dusting on the rooves but not much else and that's all I'm expecting to see now.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

Some extremely rainy-looking snow coming down in Clondalkin/Lucan right now. I'm not sure what to think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

As expected everything thawing out here now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I really ****ing pissed off. I wanted to be snowed in :(. Didn't even get a drop last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

do you not think that people up the north and even people in dublin got alot of snow over the past few days, and last night, since the cold spell started i only got a dusting, and i would not even call it a dusting, so i think you should be happy with what you got last night, ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

<-- gets out umbrella :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well I guess all our new readers are going to experience the famous 'non event' syndrome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dbyrne wrote: »
    3 degrees in rathfarnham, and there is a thaw,
    Yep defo a thaw here/there. "Warmest" morning for a while. Lots of dripping from trees and the like. Just been out in the car. Roads are fine. Well theyre slushy but more wet than icy. Looks like the predicted whiteout for this evening is off for Dublin anyway. Maybe a good thing considering the lack of grit etc and work tomorrow.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Inland c20-30km, temps may drop during precipitation and give snow for quite a while, but the overall trend is for temp rise, but this rise will be slow away from east and southern coastal margins (ie c20-30km)

There is a slight temp and Dp drop when it rains/sleets here at moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

<-- gets out umbrella :confused:

maybe instead of being snowed out we can get flooded out then we can get off! The snow is only 5cm here the northeners didnt get loads of snow it was england that got all the snow there is only about 5-10cm here but over in antrim there is about 20cm and on the high ground near me there is about 60-70cm im not joking i measured it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Newcastle Co.Dublin Very slight thaw only noticeable from the sound of a few drops of water coming down the drain pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Bray reporting 4.6

Take pics lads, it wont be here for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Conditions here atrocious, strong winds, graupel and snow flying around, not nice to be out in.
    Interesting temp battle. In heavier precip temp falls, then it lightens and temp rises a little higher than before, rinse and repeat.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

No new snow here in Drogheda - should we expect some through out the day and night??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny City snowing now for a while, looks like it could be getting heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Morning folks. Very dissappointed this morning to see that all that snow in Dublin last night did not make it west to me. Still very cold here and lots of cloud but nothing coming out of them... I find all this talk of a thaw very disturbing, we havent seen more than a VERY fine dusting of snow this year. Im sooooo jealous of those that have had heaps. Im still keeping my fingers crossed here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Out in Lucan, the snow that fell last night and obviously overnight is still sitting. I'm not sure of the temp, but I'm not seeing any obvious signs of thaw. A load of snow slipped off the bonnet of the car, but it was 2 inches thick there so must have had a bit of weight. It's also overcast - pure white cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

light snow starting again here in Waterford about 5 miles from coast. www.raintoday.co.uk looks about spot on with its radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Still freezing hard here and snowing steadily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Just had a look at the charts for the coming week across the models. Seems to my (amateur) eye that the Atlantic systems are queuing up to pass over us, but will be slowed by the block of cold air still prevalent around and near us. I think ME have it correctly described in their outlook this morning, they are really hedging their bets on where the snow or rain will fall this week.

Probably the further north you are the more likely the cold will hold out somewhat,but not the extremes of last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

This event is still delivering very well for those inland, away from the immediate East Coast. In many respects it is similar to the February 2009 event.

Continuous Steady Snowfall here.

The Irish Sea can be great for generating shower activity but can also be extremely annoying in a prolonged Easterly flow when it raises Temps & DPs.

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement