Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Leeside wrote: »
    Waterford must be getting the snow from the ribbon of cloud shown here just off the coast. The main band of cloud is still a bit off.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

They'll be very lucky if it isn't all rain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

leahyl wrote: »
    I don't understand how Limerick is getting snow and cork isn't? Isn't this system moving up from the south?
    Its a fecken conspiracy, they are just getting us back for Roy Keane's Saipan tantrum and for giving the world Micheal Martin, John Creedon and Brendan O'Connor.
    Fecken annoying, here I am with my tinhat and armband on behind the shed waiting for the emergency and not a fecken flake of snow anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Not much happening in Navan, spitting a little bit of sleety rainy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

Eagle has just been on Newstalk.
    Looks like Dublin has seen all of the snow action for now.
    Temps to peak at 4c in Dublin and snow activity not likely to be as severe as last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Is the east coast not going to get the dumping that was forecast for today ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well Im guessing in-land areas will do the best out of day with it all being so marginal temperature wise as a whole, but particularly on the coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

eastie wrote: »
    Its a fecken conspiracy, they are just getting us back for Roy Keane's Saipan tantrum and for giving the world Micheal Martin, John Creedon and Brendan O'Connor.
    Fecken annoying, here I am with my tinhat and armband on behind the shed waiting for the emergency and not a fecken flake of snow anywhere

You said it!:D lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

leahyl.. do you realise how many people in the country will celebrate when you get snow !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

light snow now in kildare again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Snowing here in Limerick now. Starting to get heavy. This is only the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    leahyl.. do you realise how many people in the country will celebrate when you get snow !! :)

em....no! However many people are on this forum?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

siochain wrote: »
    light snow now in kildare again....

and still well below 0c

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

alentejo wrote: »
    Eagle has just been on Newstalk.
    Looks like Dublin has seen all of the snow action for now.
    Temps to peak at 4c in Dublin and snow activity not likely to be as severe as last night.

Thanks... fears confirmed so!

In the words of Soul II Soul... Back to Life, Back to Reality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

just starting in Newcastle West now too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Looks like mt's prediction could be on the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

snowing in north tipp/ limerick border.. small flakes, but i can see the radar is all over that area so will see if the flakes get bigger..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unreal outside, heavy graupel that burns the face off ya walking outside, wind howling. Extremely unpleasant. Justy took a walk down to the main road and the occasional 4x4 crawls by barely keeping control. my little car is stuck again which is probably a blessing, I'd not get more than a couple of feet anyhow before ending off the road.

This is how the snow usually is here, not the dreamlike dry alpine stuff of last week.
    Radar to the south looking ominous.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

we hacve the start of some snow in rathfarnham, looks wet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Looks like mt's prediction could be on the money

Yeah we all read his predictions yesterday and thought... maybe just once he would be wrong... and also very secretly thinking.. dam.. we know he's going to be right but lets no even think it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Pelting Snow in Dublin 18 :D

edit: Just stopped :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

Looks like rain in Terenure at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Brilliant snow now, very heavy.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snowing heavy enough here for a while now, wind starting to pick up, was fairly calm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

lol rain and snow in Dublin at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

v.light stuff beginning to blow around in the wind:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

no thaw here even thugh its 1c what a releif hopefully temps get back down below freezing again tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

getting heavy here now.still graupel though but my hopes are rising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

probably 1cm of lying snow on the outskirts of limerick now and small flakes have been falling for the last hour :) Hoping for big flakes soon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

200motels wrote: »
    Brilliant snow now, very heavy.:D:D

Even better than i thought it would be, big massive flakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just had a look at the charts for the coming week across the models. Seems to my (amateur) eye that the Atlantic systems are queuing up to pass over us, but will be slowed by the block of cold air still prevalent around and near us. I think ME have it correctly described in their outlook this morning, they are really hedging their bets on where the snow or rain will fall this week.

Probably the further north you are the more likely the cold will hold out somewhat,but not the extremes of last week.

well with the scandi high declining it's game over long term - unless there is renewed blocking but the models don't seem to indicate that. so it's just a matter of a gradual shifting of the entrenched colder air over us. a big system from the south west would obviously do it quicker
    i just hope there'll be a decent fall of snow for many on low ground before it starts turning to sleet and cold rain tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement