Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Really coming down now. Very heavy and the wind is pushing it down big style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Martron wrote: »
    but as always there is always in built laziness with these plans. they said it will be reviewed on tuesday so the kids will get atleast monday and tuesday out of it.

the teachers had better work back these days!!!

:rolleyes: Theres no inbuilt laziness for Gods sake.. The teachers didnt make it snow. Grrrrrr teachers... its getting old now. I'm correcting and planning for the few days. Should I stop so that your prejudices stay valid?

Snow getting heavier now in Waterford. Just saw a 4wd skating around a roundabout. Its dangerous on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Issued at 10 January 2010 - 11:33

Weather Warning

Outbreaks of snow across the south of the country this afternoon will leave fresh accumulations of 3 to 5 cm, and will extend northwards this evening.

met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

embee wrote: »
    Everyone seems resigned to it all being over... its only midday, plenty of time. It's only a few short hours til sundown when temps should drop... ye of little faith!

I'm liking your style, c'mon guys keep the faith...

We got bonus snow last night, who knows what today has in store. The dubs/easties are just a bit gutted about the apparent thaw and we're reaching out to each other on here. I'm greedy I know but I hope we get a top up. I hope everyone gets some, but the fickle hand of fate is holding all the aces right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Savage... very heavy in Limerick now... No signs of stoppin. :D:eek::D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

johngalway wrote: »
    John Eagleton just been on Marian Finucane radio programme. He said there are signs that next week will get cold again :)

Why would anyone want to be a weather forecaster on tv :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Trotter wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Theres no inbuilt laziness for Gods sake.. The teachers didnt make it snow. Grrrrrr teachers... its getting old now. I'm correcting and planning for the few days. Should I stop so that your prejudices stay valid?

Snow getting heavier now in Waterford. Just saw a 4wd skating around a roundabout. Its dangerous on those roads.

i ment in the plan. why did they not review it tonight?

as for your correcting should you not have that done already tut tut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Still snowing the tiniest little flakes, the covering is seriously tiny. I'm off down to the road to get a shot of it before someone drives on it an wrecks it :rolleyes:

Themp on the thermometer I put outside is steady now at -0.7deg. NRA data is reporting an average of approx -2deg C. My thermometer is NOT calibrated and I'm not going to use the readings as absolute values but will monitor for trend data.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Glad to hear that Watercork or was that Corkford is getting it's snow now! Enjoy it.

In Dublin 15 there's the sound of dripping water for the first time in ages and it feels a lot warmer. There's some stuff that isn't snow falling that I don't like the look of. Well we'll see maybe there will be more snow later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

It's all over folks. Dempsey is back. The glow form his tan is melting all the snow.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/transport-minister-arrives-back-from-sun-holiday-441358.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭andrew1977

No sign of new snow in Drogheda yet, the kids and myself are glued to the window waiting for it to arrive.
    Might get the tins of fake snow spray out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

as i said last night the main event in the east was last night. the unexpected snowfall usually delivers the most!! that's why i'm saying nothing about Tuesday for those in border counties and in ulster;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

just back in from the snow. I think this is the most snow Waterford has had in many years, I don't remember as much snow in nearly 20 yrs, I would estimate about 3-5 cm and still going. Had great fun, went for a walk in it around the fields then built a snowman with my 2 yr old (thats all I wanted to do). Great crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

i dont mind either way really if its over or not but there was forecasts suggesting that that there could be rain in dublin now.

also i think we have to think that the people are only talking about there area too.

there are other people other than boggers on this forum you know!!:D

Thats easy for you to say, you're omnipresent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

Well I dont care what the other posters are saying, what yer man on the radio is saying, or anyone else---- its pissing snow in east Cork, you cant see the sky because its coming down so fast and theres probably about half a cm after sticking in the last half hour. WOOO HOOOO, come to daddy!!!!!!
    My snow rant worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

as i said last night the main event in the east was last night. the unexpected snowfall usually delivers the most!! that's why i'm saying nothing about Tuesday for those in border counties and in ulster;)

I'm in Louth... what about Tuesday?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

johngalway wrote: »
    John Eagleton just been on Marian Finucane radio programme. He said there are signs that next week will get cold again :)

Is it snowing back west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

homolumo wrote: »
    just back in from the snow. I think this is the most snow Waterford has had in many years, I don't remember as much snow in nearly 20 yrs, I would estimate about 3-5 cm and still going. Had great fun, went for a walk in it around the fields then built a snowman with my 2 yr old (thats all I wanted to do). Great crack

Seems like Waterford is just sheltered enough from the northeast wind.

Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Limerick Waterford and tipp all getting heavy snow and nada for cork! Oh come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

i would say that snow will fall further south too nacho. the 'rapid thaw' is not a done deal by any means. major shifts in model outputs today from last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

homolumo wrote: »

good stuff. it's good to read that places that have not seen snow have finally done so.:)

Fitzo wrote: »
    Surely if it rains it is much more dangerous than the snow as there is still a huge chance it will freeze when it hits the ground?
    Yup.
    And thats what it looks like most low ground close to the sea will get,I'd say within 10km's of the coast.
    It's 5c in bray for instance with a very marginal dp-thats rain territory.
    So for approximately a quarter of the countries populus,it's over shortly for now.
    Temps aren't going to fall after dark with that wind.

It just shows how difficult it is to forecast this.
    I'd have expected Rathdrum to have snow.

Fine for munster for now but make no mistake,warmer temps will soon and it might take another 24hrs turn that to rain also.
    Enjoy it while ye have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

eastie wrote: »
    Well I dont care what the other posters are saying, what yer man on the radio is saying, or anyone else---- its pissing snow in east Cork, you cant see the sky because its coming down so fast and theres probably about half a cm after sticking in the last half hour. WOOO HOOOO, come to daddy!!!!!!
    My snow rant worked.

Bring it on to the city!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Who in Cork as big flakes? On the Radar the big blue blob just isnt getting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

i ment in the plan. why did they not review it tonight?

as for your correcting should you not have that done already tut tut

I was in school on Thursday and my class did some writing about their Christmas holidays. :rolleyes:

Its actually getting heavier now! Raintoday.co.uk shows sleet off the South East coast turning to snow inland. Thats pretty spot on from what I can see. 0.9 degrees on my weather station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

leahyl wrote: »
    Limerick Waterford and tipp all getting heavy snow and nada for cork! Oh come on!

We have reports from waterford and east cork. Its on its way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

its great to see the people in the south getting snow.was a bit of a dublin affair last night.heres to hoping that this will move a bit more north a dump a few more cm in offaly.its early door still so keep the faith.no more radar watching for me gonna head out with the dog and hope for a plastering..enjoy the snow people:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Deise getting a pasting again - and me getting a pasting with snowballs from my 11yr old and his mates - class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

any sign of my buddy deep easterly on here today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just a quick note,I've just been outside admiring the 1cm of snow I've got :D
    [OFF TOPIC]
    And also If you have some spare bread,You could feed some of the birds as they're struggling quite alot in these conditions..And if you're a cat owner(like me and my family) make sure to chase the birds off afterwards,They're all very weak and seem to just stand around,I can get within inches of some which would usally say atleast ten feet from me!It might seem mean but If the birds don't move they'll get caught by a cat.

We own 8 cats and they've easily had 3 birds since 9am today and it's sad to see!
    [/OFF TOPIC]
    Still snowing strong here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement