Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Yup.
    And thats what it looks like most low ground close to the sea will get,I'd say within 10km's of the coast.
    It's 5c in bray for instance with a very marginal dp-thats rain territory.
    So for approximately a quarter of the countries populus,it's over shortly for now.
    Temps aren't going to fall after dark with that wind.

It just shows how difficult it is to forecast this.
    I'd have expected Rathdrum to have snow.

Fine for munster for now but make no mistake,warmer temps will soon and it might take another 24hrs turn that to rain also.
    Enjoy it while ye have it.

Which would leave a layer of Ice on the footpaths and roads again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Limerick Waterford and tipp all getting heavy snow and nada for cork! Oh come on!

its snowing here in mallow! we have a light covering anyway..nothing very heavy yet but persistant for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Extremely light snow flurry here in Mid-Kerry, need a magnifying glas to see it really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i would say that snow will fall further south too nacho. the 'rapid thaw' is not a done deal by any means. major shifts in model outputs today from last night

that's what the bbc chart precipitation showed but i'm not putting my faith in it. with this in mind your analogy about the bullseye last night was spot on by the way. what was you said it exactly???:)

ps: i 'm going to catch up on what's going on other forums over the next couple of days, avoid this one altogether, and hopefully awake to heavy snowfall...

of course the reality is i won't be able to stay away:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Enjoy it while ye have it.

Thanks BB, I most certainly will!

Off out for a walk now up to Ardkeen with my camera to record this very rare event. I'll post some pics later to prove that it happened! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

good stuff. it's good to read that places that have not seen snow have finally done so.:)

Ive my fingers and toes crossed here, wood chopped and coal in. 10 cans of the black stuff in the fridge as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

omg its 5c here, 5c no snow for me

its snowing here in mallow! we have a light covering anyway..nothing very heavy yet but persistant for 2 hours.

good stuff.
    your patience has finally been rewarded:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

this is annoying, people are saying heavy snow in limerck but only getting a light dusting in killaloe....might have to take a spin into limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

its raining in rathfarnham, i dont believe it, going out to build a snow man quickly before it all goes....
    How about all us dubs here on boards says pray to our new gods, Weatherceck, snow addict etc, for more snow..... roofs are all clear on houses around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Looks like it's moving up towards the Dublin region again..... Why can't people just wait!!!

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM meso pushes heavy precip expecially in the east from later today, could be some decent snow inland of the east coast by the looks of it as temperatures are progged to drop from 6pm this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

anoble66 wrote: »
    this is annoying, people are saying heavy snow in limerck but only getting a light dusting in killaloe....might have to take a spin into limerick :)

Ya it is really coming down here. 2cm at least so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ricky91t wrote: »
    And also If you have some spare bread,You could feed some of the birds as they're struggling quite alot in these conditions..

Bread would be good but if there is old fruit in the house or nuts throw them out. They get more energy from them. And for those with feeders up for our feathered friends not all birds can grip on to them so nuts sprinkled on the ground around feeder would help those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

UKM meso pushes heavy precip expecially in the east from later today, could be some decent snow inland of the east coast by the looks of it as temperatures are progged to drop from 6pm this evening.

Yup hopefully - once temps drop a bit we should see some decent snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

God i hope so! The latest falls seem to have found eveywhich way to circumvent Navan!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

that's what the bbc chart precipitation showed but i'm not putting my faith in it. with this in mind your analogy about the bullseye last night was spot on by the way. what was you said it exactly???:)

i said predicting the exact outcome of next week's weather, in the current set up, is like trying to hit the bullseye with a blunt dart while blindfolded and drunk.

There very well may be a thaw in the SW and South but i believe the cold will beat back the atlantic come the end of the week. for many this band of snow will not be their last this week.

OH yeah...the donegal postman says his cattle are doing the sige of ennis in the lower field. always a sure sign that it is going to stay or cold (ot the cattle have bse i would have thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

If you don't normally give bread to the birds in your garden, it's better to give them bread or nuts if there's a green area or park near you. They're more likely to know to go there than your back garden. :)

Call me an optimist - but my car said it was 4 degrees this morning, that's thaw level, and the snow around here (Dublin11) has gone quite wet. Good for snowballs - yippee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Winds increasing enough here to cause an eerie whistling through the wires outside Quite blowy, and although temp is rising, now at 0.0c exactly, it feels increasingly cold and raw. Cloudy, dull even, but dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

South Dublin ... Temp up , Thaw up ... Car exhaust Slush Puppie Anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The last shower (sleet/rain) in Dub 15 melted alot of snow on the rooftops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Deise getting a pasting again

This is the weather forum, does this post not belong to the hurling forum ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Davo D wrote: »
    Well at least the children in Dublin can go back to school now, no point keeping them out until Thursday it would look a bit silly.

It would but its too late now, they'll still be off, to much bureaucracy involved in calling teachers, parents etc. It would'nt be fair to have some schools closed while others open, public service pampering and all that.

School is not the same anymore, children have so many days off school its unbelievable. Hard to see a month go by with out a day or two off.

I was in primary during 80's, only days we had off were usual holidays, nothing else. Snow never stopped us from going to school, we'd have to walk through it, the only thing was heating, if heating didn't work, no school, even so you'd still have to turn up at school gates to find out if its open or closed.

Winter has brought snow to north Louth every year for the last 4 years even more, normally comes late Jan, early Feb. This is first time I've seen snow without wind coming from north, might be in for more snow later in month.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Name of other website-'Weather ireland'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UKM meso temperature prediction:

3pm

10011015_1006.gif

Midnight

10011100_1006.gif

embee wrote: »
    I'm in Louth... what about Tuesday?!?!?!?

the bbc precipitation chart showed potential significant snowfall over the northern third of the country. don't get your hopes up though if you live on lower ground because i've been around long enough to know it'll more than likely end up being rain or sleet. the atlantic always seems to spoil things at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

eigrod wrote: »
    This is the weather forum, does this post not belong to the hurling forum ? ;)

Been in a while since we got that kind of a pasting, boi

embee wrote: »
    I'm in Louth... what about Tuesday?!?!?!?
    Inland border counties embee-more than 15km's inland

In other news,I wouldn't trust the radar.
    It's bone dry here-yet by the radar it should be lashing something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

UKM meso temperature prediction:

3pm

10011015_1006.gif

Midnight

10011100_1006.gif

Confirms it for me ... It's over , get out and enjoy what's left !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looks like heavy snow for some NOT ALL on Tuesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement