Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

snaps wrote: »
    10 cans of the black stuff in the fridge as well.

should just leave it outside the back door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

huge flakes in a heavy shower here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

the bbc precipitation chart showed potential significant snowfall over the northern third of the country. don't get your hopes up though if you live on lower ground because i've been around long enough to know it'll more than likely end up being rain or sleet. the atlantic always seems to spoil things at lower levels.

I live on highish ground.. hard to know what's going to happen though, this weather is so unpredictable!

Anyways, here is a pic of my back garden this morning (snowman just out of shot). That was taken about ten minutes ago, it is so unbelieveably gloomy here, the sky is pure grey and cloudy.

woosnow.jpg

Our roof looks like it's thawing out but it isn't really, the main reason for a lot of the snow on the upper half of the roof having melted is that the attic insulation isn't actually in yet as we're converting it. The house next door has far more snow cover on their roof because they're attic is insulated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Almost complete melt here now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

nifheorais wrote: »
    Name of other website-'Weather ireland'?

Irish Weather Network ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Defcol wrote: »
    God i hope so! The latest falls seem to have found eveywhich way to circumvent Navan!:(

was there no snow in navan last night? damn my friends and their house parties in dublin? i wanted to go home to some snow and have some fun in navan :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i would say that snow will fall further south too nacho. the 'rapid thaw' is not a done deal by any means. major shifts in model outputs today from last night

Judging by the responses in the Model Outlook Thread those shifts seem to have been even more towards a 'rapid thaw' :confused: ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

burger1979 wrote: »
    was there no snow in navan last night? damn my friends and their house parties in dublin? i wanted to go home to some snow and have some fun in navan :mad::mad:

Nope. A few light showers it seems during the night but it's melting now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Im being very cautious here but it is getting slightly heavier here now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: 0.3 °C
    Dew Point: 0.0 °C

No snow for a while now. Slight thaw happening. :(
    At least we may get our mains water back if we're lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Cork should be getting a good bit soon/now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

I'm liking your style, c'mon guys keep the faith...

We got bonus snow last night, who knows what today has in store. The dubs/easties are just a bit gutted about the apparent thaw and we're reaching out to each other on here. I'm greedy I know but I hope we get a top up. I hope everyone gets some, but the fickle hand of fate is holding all the aces right now.

I for one will be glad if its over. Cant handle anymore burst pipes.
    By the way, if there is a thaw in your area - dont go out. Thats when the water will start spraying out of any damaged pipes.
    If you are out during the thaw, you might come home to a flooded house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Definitely a thaw on here in Drogheda. I can actually see the grass in the garden now for the first time in days. The kids will be so sad!
    Can I give them any hope lads? Its so dull here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

John mac wrote: »
    should just leave it outside the back door :D

No as the birds sit on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Ricky91t wrote: »

Starting to come down a bit heavier now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

yeah, its falling heavy here on the northside but its tiny flecks of snow. still everything is covered completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

opr wrote: »
    Judging by the responses in the Model Outlook Thread those shifts seem to have been even more towards a 'rapid thaw' :confused: ?

Opr

that was until the models backtracked. of course they could all change again tomorrow.
    i think what we can say is that it will get less cold during this week but temperatures will still below average in many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

South going to get hammered shortly.

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

seems to be a big blob of blue light stuff. nothing very significant falling where i am anyway. someone said it may get heavier during teh afternoon and evening so we'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

gonker wrote: »
    Definitely a thaw on here in Drogheda. I can actually see the grass in the garden now for the first time in days. The kids will be so sad!

That is so strange, I'm not that far from Drogheda (albeit as far from the sea as you can get in Co Louth) and there's no thaw here.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    No as the birds sit on them!

you missed a "h" there in 'sit'...;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the thaw is really starting to gain momentium here, snow gone off trees and paths are slushy, the 2-3 inchs of snow that we had has already had about a few cm's worth melted from it and the drips are becoming more frequent from the roof. Just had a a tiny shower of drizzely sleet. This is defo the end of it. I expect all our snow to be melted by 2moro afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

gonker wrote: »

The hope is this should be the mildest it should get! Should drop 1 or 2c this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

PIA02641_md.jpg

will it be like this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

The hope is this should be the mildest it should get! Should drop 1 or 2c this evening.

Blimey what a cold wind. Ventured out to the recycling bin. B'rrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

A flurry in Dunmanway, finally, when I checked the bbc forecast, I thought we'd get zilch again. My mains water is frozen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really starting to come down now!

i think what we can say is that it will get less cold during this week but temperatures will still below average in many places.

Yes, despite a slow rise in temps during this coming week, temps are likely to remain below average, an average which is cool at the best of times ( 61-90 Jan averages: 7c/8c by day and 0c /+2c by night). Daytime maxima this coming week will average more like 3c to 5c, which is still very cool for the time of year, but warmer than at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RockPaper

leahyl wrote: »
    Really starting to come down now!
    So happy for you:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ugh this weather is wrecking my head. my folks want to go down to Keith Barry at the Olympia tonight. Whats the main roads like around Dublin at this time? The N4 is fairly alright up here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement