Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

It will be snowing in dublin by 2:30pm today.

It will be continuous and will get progressively heavier.

what makes you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Defcol wrote: »
    God i hope so! The latest falls seem to have found eveywhich way to circumvent Navan!:(
    burger1979 wrote: »
    was there no snow in navan last night? damn my friends and their house parties in dublin? i wanted to go home to some snow and have some fun in navan :mad::mad:

not looking good for us temp and dp is marginal at the mo,hopefully temp's will hold or drop slightly this evening when the precip arrive's.
    talk about a four week non "event" for meath :(
    my total snow fall was 2cmin four week's :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Oooh Stop press !! Sky News says.. it will go east to west and then begin to move northwards... their graphics had me get a dumping from 4am onwards. Looks like another late night !!:)
    Really? Do you think we will get much

I see on sky news they are giving out about the met office getting the snow wrong for today, the women had a snow forecast report and on it stamped CANCELLED lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Snow in Dublin 11 was looking promising last night, really coming down for a while.

But this morning was disappointing, not very cold out at all, a lot of the snow that was on the car has thawed & dripped off. There was a mixture of hail/sleet coming down earlier, but no snow :(

Any chance there will be a significant drop in temperature and/or a heavy snowfall here later today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

manonmir wrote: »
    And what do you base this on? Its currently 5c here with a major thaw on, i find it hard to believe it'll be snowing in over an hour.

I'm dubious too :( I woke up this morning and for the first time in a good week or two I didn't have to switch the heat on first thing. It does not feel like snowy weather :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

nifheorais wrote: »
    Stii very very light in Galway City.Is it snowing in souyh Galway/North Clare?

Just started to get heavier now here in North Clare. First snow of this cold spell so will probably disappear just as quickly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

leahyl wrote: »
    Can I ask what gnersl area you are in northside seafields?

Banduff/Ballyvolane Its light but steady here. everything covered and the kids in the estate are making snowmen already. Small ones at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I propose beatings for wrong predictions :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The Eagle has called it on the 12.55 radio forecast. After todays 3-5cm in the south, which will spread north, there won't be much snow next week, it won't exactly be mild, but it will be less cold than last week. An uninspiring forecast for either mild lovers (who want their water back) or cold lovers who want a continuation of the previous week.

Frankly I don't think anyone knows beyond 48 hours where we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Really? Do you think we will get much

I see on sky news they are giving out about the met office getting the snow wrong for today, the women had a snow forecast report and on it stamped CANCELLED lol

no more snow for Dongeal Pangea:p you'll just have to make do with your earthquake;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Timistry wrote: »
    Nothing in Kerry so far....

Snowing here in North Kerry for the last hour and a half to two hours. Accumulations of 2cm I say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

this is great craic nobody knows whats gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

this is great craic nobody knows whats gonna happen

Dons Professer Cap/

I believe thats why its called weather sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Come back snow!

It's all thawy, slushy yuck now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

This is off topic, but before Christmas at the start of this cold snap the predictions in relation to snow were at least by people to understand weather, it seems in the last week everyone is weighing in with their baseless claims. Kind of makes the forum a bit annoying now although still addictive.

If anyone who isn't known to be a reliable source in this forum wants to put up a snow start time prediction a source/reason would be nice, even if it's your dog barked 10 times, threw up, farted then barked 2 times yesterday exactly 60 mins before the snow started and just did it now again. Seems that a lot of people who never post in here usually (me included) are just ranting and raving when they don't have a clue.

Sorry for being off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SeaFields wrote: »
    Banduff/Ballyvolane Its light but steady here. everything covered and the kids in the estate are making snowmen already. Small ones at that!

Cool i'm in Mayfield/Silversprings not far from yourself!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

The schools will not be oipen Tuesday. INTO arent meeting till tomorrow, Government arent meeting till Tuesday so there is no one to make the decision to open. Many schools are still under heavy snow, many still impassible & many will have ice issues even with the thaw due to night time temp drops.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

jambofc wrote: »
    not looking good for us temp and dp is marginal at the mo,hopefully temp's will hold or drop slightly this evening when the precip arrive's.
    talk about a four week non "event" for meath :(
    my total snow fall was 2cmin four week's :mad:

Spitting rain here in Trim now. Snow starting to thaw. Feck this, wasn't leaving the house thinking it was going to be bad today. I'm off out for a spin, the kids are bored senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Blizzards in Cork, yahooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Come up to Annamoe, we got more snow than you can make snowmen out of. You might crash your car though, but sure that all adds to the craic :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Light rain/sleet here in East Meath. We're about 10 miles from the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The Eagle has called it on the 12.55 radio forecast. After todays 3-5cm in the south, which will spread north, there won't be much snow next week, it won't exactly be mild, but it will be less cold than last week. An uninspiring forecast for either mild lovers (who want their water back) or cold lovers who want a continuation of the previous week.

Frankly I don't think anyone knows beyond 48 hours where we go....

48 hours??? Nobody knows whats going to happen in 1 hour!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

News and Weather for the week ahead just about to start on RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Word is ... the schools might be open on Tuesday :( In fact, the way it's going we'd be lucky to have tomorrow off!
    jenzz wrote: »
    The schools will not be oipen Tuesday. INTO arent meeting till tomorrow, Government arent meeting till Tuesday so there is no one to make the decision to open. Many schools are still under heavy snow, many still impassible & many will have ice issues even with the thaw due to night time temp drops.

I wish the schools could open. :( I have so much to do with my classes.

Still snowing heavily here in Cork. The tyre marks from the last car to drive on the road have been covered over but another car has just ruined it by driving out. :mad: When will they learn? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Snowing again in Waterford, albeit lightly. My back garden is showing a thaw but my front seems still to have as much snow as earlier. I presume it's because the heating vents to the rear of the house?

Anyway, I went out and took some pics of this rare event in my neighbourhood: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43732063@N05/sets/72157623179762296/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

This is off topic, but before Christmas at the start of this cold snap the predictions in relation to snow were at least by people to understand weather, it seems in the last week everyone is weighing in with their baseless claims. Kind of makes the forum a bit annoying now although still addictive.

If anyone who isn't known to be a reliable source in this forum wants to put up a snow start time prediction a source/reason would be nice, even if it's your dog barked 10 times, threw up, farted then barked 2 times yesterday exactly 60 mins before the snow started and just did it now again. Seems that a lot of people who never post in here usually (me included) are just ranting and raving when they don't have a clue.

PMSL..so true...does my husband farting to the tune of "winter wonderland" count as a source?

This has turned from a weather forum into a hope and pipe dreams forum.

More links from the weather guys pls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

It's just a personal opinion.

To hell with the charts. They didn't show 6 hours of snow here last night either.

Temperature in West dublin is dropping again. Thaw seems to be coming to an end.

It's getting progressively darker also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It's a lot more on topic than a lot of what goes on here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I hope WolfeIRE is seeing something by now. Nothing here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Still snowing here :D

Footprints are getting covered up quick now,Must have a few cm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement