Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Right folks I'm off to work. This is going to be an interesting drive to work. And I bet we'll be busy too :rolleyes:

To my fellow Corkonians....we believed and its worked!!

Enjoy the shensnowanigans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Old Man WInters

ME saying Leinster will get in on that 5-10cm snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Hey guys. Another one who's been drawn to this forum over the past while because of this weather. I am a thaw supporter. Sorry, snow fans! I am sick of risking life and limb and car driving on these roads and it's been getting me stressed and depressed. Go, thaw, go!

By the way, does anyone know why they say the temperature has to get above 4 degrees for the thaw to kick in? Doesn't ice/snow melt at 0C or is it a matter of it getting significantly faster above 4C?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Been snowing here in Newcastle West for the last 3 hours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

latest met office radar shows precipitation coming up the irish sea and becoming moderate in some small batches E/S/E of Dublin...temp falling dew point fell now is stable

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

::::STOP PRESS::::

Snow flurries in Rathdrum. for little more than 5 mins now.

My reverse psychology worked yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

nothing but horrible grauple here all day:mad: where's my snow? give it back cork:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Old Man WInters

Hey guys. Another one who's been drawn to this forum over the past while because of this weather. I am a thaw supporter. Sorry, snow fans! I am sick of risking life and limb and car driving on these roads and it's been getting me stressed and depressed. Go, thaw, go!

By the way, does anyone know why they say the temperature has to get above 4 degrees for the thaw to kick in? Doesn't ice/snow melt at 0C or is it a matter of it getting significantly faster above 4C?
    Oh great... our own localised Panto Villain! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'm delira and ag sire. Waited so long for this snow and finally got it. Boys having a ball outside (cold and wet) while I look out at them from the window!:pac: No-one has made tyre marks on the road yet, and they'd better not. Its snow nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Seems to be sleet in Waterford now. I've noticed a lot of water dripping from the car. 1.2 degrees outside now. Theres plenty accumulated so if the forecasted snow arrives tonight and what's left has frozen, roads will be awful in Waterford tomorrow.

Take it easy out there lads and ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

It's just kicked off in Dublin and it's heavy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Snowing here :D I was expecting rain

temperature is now at 3.9 was at 4.5 1 hour ago....f-off thaw:D (Dalkey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

::::STOP PRESS::::

Snow flurries in Rathdrum. for little more than 5 mins now.

My reverse psychology worked yay!

Sorry for being thick, but where is Rathdrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Week forecast on now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I cannot believe the perfect snow shield going around my part of kilkenny:mad::mad::mad:

Have only had a few flakes all morning!!!:mad:

Shame. :(

This is what it looks like from my front door, after the couple of hours we had this morning.

Kilkenny City outskirts..

IMG_1116.jpg?t=1263129734

Getting a bit darker again, so could be some more on the way.

Temp got up to 0.4 but has now dropped again..

Temperature: 0.3 °C
    Dew Point: 0.0 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Sauvblanc wrote: »

A full hour ahead of the bishops schedule. You better not be messin' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Gerry on the farming forecast now

Has called a nationwide snow event for later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Oh great... our own localised Panto Villain! :D

Didn't quite mean it like that! Maybe we should have a paintball game of the Snowers versus the Thawers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Gerry on rte says we get 5-10cm of snow yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I agree with you. While I'm glad it has started snowing here in Cork, I was pretty much stuck in my boyfriend's house for a week in D15 and only just managed to escape before the snow hit again the other day. I'm glad it's thawing out where he lives because really it's a nuisance when it goes on for so long.

But then again, the snow in Cork is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

Sauvblanc wrote: »

where? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Sorry for being thick, but where is Rathdrum?

Wickla

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They are calling Tuesdays event Sleet and Snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I hope WolfeIRE is seeing something by now. Nothing here at the moment.

im above 0 for the 1st time in about a week! Currently 0.2c, That percip is so close i can smell it! I can see darker clouds to the south of me, blue sky to the NW of me!

3,8 falling darker clouds rolling in from a very rough Irish sea (Dalkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

All my beautiful snow is all but gone now.

I suppose things even themselves out, wasn't expecting that amazing fall last night of powder snow (8cm's) so it was inevitable that today would always be a disappointed just a shame the thaw was so extensive.

Glad to see the Corkonians and people down south are getting their share!

I second this.

Nothing here in Cabinteely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

+1 :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

My guess is somewhere south in the county.

I think most of dublin up has been too far north for this band. So we've just had the outskirts of it with drizzly stuff or the odd attached shower off the main band that's going east west across the south of the country.

I hope if this band starts a northward track that it won't bring a tonne of rain here :|

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement