Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Villain

After that forecast from Gerry on RTE what are your thoughts for us here in Carlow!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Hey guys. Another one who's been drawn to this forum over the past while because of this weather. I am a thaw supporter. Sorry, snow fans! I am sick of risking life and limb and car driving on these roads and it's been getting me stressed and depressed. Go, thaw, go!

By the way, does anyone know why they say the temperature has to get above 4 degrees for the thaw to kick in? Doesn't ice/snow melt at 0C or is it a matter of it getting significantly faster above 4C?

Water has an unusual property that causes it to freeze at 4... Therefore a proper thaw can't start until we hit about 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Old Man WInters

patneve wrote: »
    temperature is now at 3.9 was at 4.5 1 hour ago....f-off thaw:D (Dalkey)
    RTE weather report: Snow falling in south will move northwards tonight, temperatures expected to drop soon enough, snow expected! Snow should start latye/afternoon and carry on through the night. Bad news though is their overnight low temp for Dublin is 0c... would this mean snow or rain (if it is 0c here, it has to be colder in the skies, so would this make it fall as snow in higher grounds)?

They are saying heavy snow on Tuesday, but could also be rain. All far too specualtive beyond today.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

I second this.

Nothing here in Cabinteely.

South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Sorry for being thick, but where is Rathdrum?

http://tinyurl.com/yhn2qmb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sorry for these,But thought i'd post some pics taken about five mins ago!You can see the snow in them so they are kind of weather shots :pac:

47A55CB6B4684F62875F6573F571DD4A-500.jpg

E0007E49443647E78963BAC8B134B646-500.jpg

A7A5A0029DC649F1A9341DE09753F19E-500.jpg

93D072DB59664413A73F3342D5A04645-500.jpg

Few more (If i take more) uploaded here,And maybe more later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Nothing in Dublin 6 either

My balcony table and chairs were covered in snow last night and nothing on them now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Shane732 wrote: »
    Water has an unusual property that causes it to freeze at 4... Therefore a proper thaw can't start until we hit about 4.

DP's are still below freezing so precip should fall as snow.. With the amount thats on ground too it should stick IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

YES YES YES YES YES YES...cOME BACK HOME TO DONEGAL MY SON !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Shane732 wrote: »

Thanks. Time to look up some science on the matter, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    im above 0 for the 1st time in about a week! Currently 0.2c, That percip is so close i can smell it! I can see darker clouds to the south of me, blue sky to the NW of me!

Up to 0.5c here now Snaps, but some very small flakes blowing in the wind now. Nothing very exciting but tis something at least. Hoping you'll see something soon.

There should be snow in carlow.
    Don't worry about that.
    It's up to 20km's inland from the East coast that will see rain/sleet with snow on the higher ground a few miles inland

My dp just on the coast here is stuck around -1c but i feel that won't be enough for snow here given the surface drift in off the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

janeybabe wrote: »
    I agree with you. While I'm glad it has started snowing here in Cork, I was pretty much stuck in my boyfriend's house for a week in D15 and only just managed to escape before the snow hit again the other day. I'm glad it's thawing out where he lives because really it's a nuisance when it goes on for so long.

But then again, the snow in Cork is lovely!

Doesn't say much for your boyfriend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

For the sake of my marriage, I have to go now...Going on a long walk to the pub later and will take my camera, just in case.

Hope to report favourably this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Really heavy snow now in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Really heavy now in cork city. Blizzard conditions. Could be lots by end of the day. Very dark out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

oldmillgal wrote: »
    Villain

After that forecast from Gerry on RTE what are your thoughts for us here in Carlow!:)
    Really hard to say my temps have risen to 2.3c but the DP has dropped back again to 0.3c

Perhaps another 5cms again this evening/tonight Met Eireann seem confident and despite others thinking otherwise they are the experts and I would always follow them. Showers will give more to some areas and less to others like we saw in dublin last night.

I don't know about Tuesday I think sleet and rain in Carlow tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

A lot of precip now pushing up the coast from the SE - Mostly sleet though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snaps wrote: »
    im above 0 for the 1st time in about a week! Currently 0.2c, That percip is so close i can smell it! I can see darker clouds to the south of me, blue sky to the NW of me!

same here.

it's hard to understand the difference between the last radio forecast and the tv forecast there. are things changing by the hour:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

It's getting colder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

2c/-1.3
    raining :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

RTE weather report: Snow falling in south will move northwards tonight, temperatures expected to drop soon enough, snow expected! Snow should start latye/afternoon and carry on through the night. Bad news though is their overnight low temp for Dublin is 0c... would this mean snow or rain (if it is 0c here, it has to be colder in the skies, so would this make it fall as snow in higher grounds)?

They are saying heavy snow on Tuesday, but could also be rain. All far too specualtive beyond today.

snow or rain I do not know, things are extremely uncertain at the moment! Keep looking at the radar http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/ new image will come in in 15 mins.

Snow will definitely fall at 2 degrees or below if the dew points stay how they are (below zero atm) temp still 3,8 here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

same here.

it's hard to understand the difference between the last radio forecast and the tv forecast there. are things changing by the hour:confused:

Yes I suppose they are changing by the hour!

Temps are starting to drop so we might be in for some fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Doesn't say much for your boyfriend:D

Shhh. He might hear you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Snow a bit heavier here now in Mid-Kerry, starting to settle ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How do i post pics i have taken of the snow??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Holding steady here at 1.1c.. very slight increase in wind. 100% cloud cover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just had a few spots of rain in Navan. just tiny spots though for a couple of minutes, nothing significant.

• Advertisement

::::STOP PRESS::::

Snow flurries in Rathdrum. for little more than 5 mins now.

My reverse psychology worked yay!
    Very interesting.
    My dp is rising though :/
    So is my bp :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement