Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

good news, Irish sea buoy dew point has gone slightly negative once again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Could anybody give me information on snow in Tralee,Kilarney,Macroom and Cork City?Or anywhere else the no.40 bus goes from Tralee to Cork?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Mad sht here, its sort of snowing but the flakes are so smalll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »
    Actually DP's are lower to the south than the north in the precip from earlier. Almost like a warm sector?
    Lok att BB and mine and MM DP and compare to the Carlow ones now. if that precip makes it I am confidant of another bout of sneachta..thats if the wretched stuff ever moves north !

Appears to be snowing heaviilyin Ferns last 2 hours so its on its way - Back on the rollercoaster again me thinks:D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

malman wrote: »
    Here's hoping but it may only be a brief interlude. Heard Eagleton (eagle) on radio and he says it may turn back to colder weather again next week.

RTE said at 1300:

Snow tonight 5-10cm for the majority of the country.

Snow and sleet tomorrow

Some melting in Munster on Wed, not much

Wet again (not clear the kind of wet though) next weekend...

So, they are still saying the event is ON!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Trotter wrote: »
    Lads can someone give me a link to a site with dew points for Waterford city and tell me what the magic number is that I need to hope for? Thanks a lot!

As far as i know there is no site with that info. For what its worth i'm reading a DP of 0.2c now and thats just about ok for snow. 0.4 or above and its marginal i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Heavy snow here at the moment, gone very dark and foggy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 wicklowgirl

according to http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y wexford/wicklow area should have had rain/sleet/snow since 11am but here in arklow we have had a tiny bit of drizzle about 20mins ago and thats all:confused: just dont understand it:rolleyes:

Snowinhg here in Rathdrum the past hour or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow intensity increasing slowly here, now would be classified as proper light snow than a few flakes in the wind :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

snowig here now for the last 2 hours fairly heavy don't look like it's stoping any time soon. had a thaw this morning didn't think in would snow at all:D
    Interesting.
    I see that snow has made it to Tara hill on the coast outside Gorey-5 miles south of me.
    Talk about marginal!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭brainy_neuron

Tommo119 wrote: »
    Do u have a cat? Hehe :D Lol someone had to!
    Tommo119 wrote: »
    No Cat :(

Aww! Well welcome to the boards anyway! This smiley reminds me of the cat in Alice :D:D

Back on topic-snow snow snow happy happy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He's been at the poitin again more like it....

Imagine how many drinks he will have been stood after his recent success ;)

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i said predicting the exact outcome of next week's weather, in the current set up, is like trying to hit the bullseye with a blunt dart while blindfolded and drunk.

There very well may be a thaw in the SW and South but i believe the cold will beat back the atlantic come the end of the week. for many this band of snow will not be their last this week.

OH yeah...the donegal postman says his cattle are doing the sige of ennis in the lower field. always a sure sign that it is going to stay or cold (ot the cattle have bse i would have thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Looks like there's some coming across the Irish sea now... all depends on the temps when it gets here....

Hmmm people get the freezers outside and get them in action!

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

for any one who is pissed that they dident get any snow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpePOJrApI&feature=fvw

Snowinhg here in Rathdrum the past hour or more.

The kind of snow that gives a covering or just flakes in the wind like here for the last couple of hours?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mickger wrote: »
    As far as i know there is no site with that info. For what its worth i'm reading a DP of 0.2c now and thats just about ok for snow. 0.4 or above and its marginal i think.

This might help! Keep an eye on buoy M5 off the Wexford coast.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

It's snowing moderately for the last hour at Annagh on the Gorey Tinahely road.
    Dp has just gone above zero here-thats curtains for the snow at this location.
    Air is 2.3c
    Raining lightly with a good few twirly twisty flakes blowing in the wind also.

:(:(

It's snowing moderately for the last hour at Annagh on the Gorey Tinahely road.
    Dp has just gone above zero here-thats curtains for the snow at this location.
    Air is 2.3c
    Raining lightly with a good few twirly twisty flakes blowing in the wind also.

Thanks BB, surprised the DP is above zero there given that this band appears to be delivering snow to further south than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Shane732 wrote: »
    Looks like there's some coming across the Irish sea now... all depends on the temps when it gets here....

Hmmm people get the freezers outside and get them in action!

Web_radar.gif

is that head slighty north? will it hit meath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Snowing here just a few miles down the road from Villain.

With that wind it seems colder then at any time in the last 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tommo119

Aww! Well welcome to the boards anyway! This smiley reminds me of the cat in Alice :D:D

Back on topic-snow snow snow happy happy :o

HaHa Cheers :)

It's great how snow makes everyone happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

temp -2.5 dp -3.1 (nra charleville)persistent snow here for the last 3 hours.light but steady.we have got a good covering now of approx 1 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mulhuddart D15.

Booooo. Thaw setting in and I can suddenly see grass in my back garden again. Absolute disaster - we've been robbed.

If the big Event has been cancelled (as seems likely from my limited understanding of the posts by the experts here) then my one wish would be that the thaw doesn't happen too quick, otherwise I can see there being plenty of flooding in these overbuilt concrete jungles of D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

It's gonna be rain isn't it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I've never seen such negativity in here.

A little bit of positive attitude in this forum wouldn't go astray.

we are still on the brink. There is still a good chance we will get a decent fall tonight and/or Tuesday. Personally, I also believe if this gets going it might also run through tomorrow. These things have a habit of not stopping once they get going.

Are you a teacher ? That's the only way you could be happy with this prolongued agonising weather

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

HEAVY RAIN now in Cork:mad::mad:

Just joking leahyl still snowing constant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

is that head slighty north? will it hit meath?

Yes it looks to be gonna hit a bit more north.... Certainly hope it will hit Meath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Mulhuddart D15.

Booooo. Thaw setting in and I can suddenly see grass in my back garden again. Absolute disaster - we've been robbed.

If the big Event has been cancelled (as seems likely from my limited understanding of the posts by the experts here) then my one wish would be that the thaw doesn't happen too quick, otherwise I can see there being plenty of flooding in these overbuilt concrete jungles of D15.

I'm never going near Met Eireann or RTE weather sites ever again. BBC weather was the only one to call today exactly right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    RTE said at 1300:

Snow tonight 5-10cm for the majority of the country.

Snow and sleet tomorrow

Some melting in Munster on Wed, not much

Wet again (not clear the kind of wet though) next weekend...

So, they are still saying the event is ON!

WTF is going on with ME??! Did they really say that?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just wondering why the Met Eireann Radar is not showing the precipitation off the south east coast and the UK Met Radar is showing it????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement