Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dave1982 wrote: »
    HEAVY RAIN now in Cork:mad::mad:

Just joking leahyl still snowing constant

Now DAVE that was uncalled for!!:D

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks BB, surprised the DP is above zero there given that this band appears to be delivering snow to further south than you.
    Well remember that the wind over cork and kerry is going over a cold land for many 10's of miles before it gets to them drying it out and lowering the dp to bring things to the right side of marginal.
    And it doesn't take much to do that when it snows at ferns at sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

Just started again here but very light, we don't have much of a thaw at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

At the current rate of snowfall I'd be surprised to get more than five mm and its not melting here when it falls!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

not usually one for Postman theories but i live in Donnybrook Dublin and rarely see seagulls over head... there is a lot at the moment!! Something up in the irish sea me thinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Glanmire in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

items wrote: »
    North Louth area.

Accuweather are giving plenty of snow showers later today and tomorrow. First shower is supposed to start at 2pm then following showers at,

4pm, 7pm, 8pm, 10pm, 11pm.

More showers given for Monday,

3am, 4am, 5am, 10am, 11am, 4pm, 5pm.

Accu were bang on with predicting the big snow shower last wed's, it only lasted an hour max, wed's big shower is still heavy on ground today, if Accu are correct with this one their could be a lot of snow lying around these parts.

Judging by postings here compared to actual weather reports, best not pay to much attention to Accu or anyother weather report, just have to wait and see.

Light snow shower came down just after two so I guess Accu were not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Could anybody give me information on snow in Tralee,Kilarney,Macroom and Cork City?Or anywhere else the no.40 bus goes from Tralee to Cork?

Cheers

snowing 5 miles south of Macroom (if thats any good to you )
    bout 10mm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My two are in bed with me/ by the fire with the dog..

Bitter icy wind up here and not a hint of a thaw.

The birds are perky and feeding well. My home made "bird cake" is very successful.

Trotter wrote: »
    It had stopped in Waterford for a while, but kicking off again now.

The cats are having a field day.. the birds are too weak to get away from them :mad:

Well remember that the wind over cork and kerry is going over a cold land for many 10's of miles before it gets to them drying it out and lowering the dp to bring things to the right side of marginal.

True BB.
    I'm watching my neighbour fitting snowchains to his wifes car. She works in Milltown in Dublin, don't know what to say to him. She will need the chains to get out of here but from the sounds of things they wont be needed lower down and I doubt she'll be able to take them off.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

:eek:
    janeybabe wrote: »
    Glanmire in Cork

WTF nothing like that in Cobh.A way lighter here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Delighted to report rain in Dungarvan and any snow that is left is quickly fecking off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

A few more.......

Image019.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    Image022.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sandymount.
    Rapid thaw on all morning.
    Almost mild here. If it weren't for the slush it'd just be a typical crap cold and damp Irish day.

There go my notions of flirting with calamity!

For those of you under the flakes, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowing now in cork for nearly 4 hours non stop, yippeeee
    Not so heavy though there is about 3cm's lying quite widely.
    If the umk and gsf ppn guides are right it should continue to develop and form over us into the early night
    Several inches I would think lying by late this evening.

Currentscore in the match Dublin 1 Cork 2 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

From Meteoalarm - valid from 10.01.2010 13:07 CET Until 11.01.2010 03:00 CET
    Snow/Ice
    Awareness Level: Orange
    snowfall 3-5 cm
    "Further snow giving accumulations of 3 to 5 cm, eastern and southeastern fringes more likely falling as rain and sleet."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

mickger wrote: »
    Just wondering why the Met Eireann Radar is not showing the precipitation off the south east coast and the UK Met Radar is showing it????
    Good question I'd like to know as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really?? I suppose cos ye nearer the coast maybe?

I don't know....that's strange alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tommo119

The Met Office in Eng has basically apologised today, yesterday they forecast the precip affecting Ire today to affect the UK first, but instead it totally missed Southern Eng. Southampton Uni closed for tomorrow for example in anticipation of the forecast 10cm+, but it didn't materialise. They have today cancelled all the warnings bar a few, just shows how marginal snow can be.

Currentscore in the match Dublin 1 Cork 2 :D:D

Dublin 1 Cork 2 Wicklow 99 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cobh is nearer the sea. That makes a difference, doesn't it? What part of Cobh are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Some pics of around my place in NCW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

DP hasn't gone above -1 here yet. Seems to be dropping slightly at the moment, if anything. Seems similar at Dublin AP. Is it going to rise when the precip gets here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Donegals Earthquake was soo yesturday,
    Now we have moved onto Icebergs :D

Iceberg visible off Aranmore

An iceberg has emerged nearly one kilometre northwest of Arranmore Lighthouse. The iceberg is clearly visible and poses no danger for ships.

The last iceberg to be recorded on the Northwest coast of Donegal dates back at least 40 years.

The island has been capitalising on this latest development, with many visitors over the weekend, and special sightseeing tours being organised.

Meanwhile, it’s reported the pubs on the island are offering a special iceberg cocktail containing ice cubes taken from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Is anyone in Galway getting a snow hammering at the moment???

I think that precip. is gathering it's forces over Galway to make a full frontal attack on Mayo this evening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your Grace?

Really?
    It's just a personal opinion.

To hell with the charts. They didn't show 6 hours of snow here last night either.

Temperature in West dublin is dropping again. Thaw seems to be coming to an end.

It's getting progressively darker also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of light rain in Limerick (Raheen) but has now turned to snow shower :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Snowing here in North West Cork since about 10 30 this morning. A big coating of snow covering the lawns,footpaths and roads now and roads are quite dangerous for driving now. Still nice to see the snow here,i thought we were going to miss out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

I missed the farming forecast on RTE earlier.

Anyone have a link to it? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Thinking of going to Glendalough tomorrow morning. Anyone know if there is much snow lying there and what the roads are like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement