Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Pangea wrote: »
    Donegals Earthquake was soo yesturday,
    Now we have moved onto Icebergs :D

Iceberg visible off Aranmore

An iceberg has emerged nearly one kilometre northwest of Arranmore Lighthouse. The iceberg is clearly visible and poses no danger for ships.

The last iceberg to be recorded on the Northwest coast of Donegal dates back at least 40 years.

The island has been capitalising on this latest development, with many visitors over the weekend, and special sightseeing tours being organised.

Meanwhile, it’s reported the pubs on the island are offering a special iceberg cocktail containing ice cubes taken from it.

It could actually be Iceland... trying to join the EU! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Pangea wrote: »
    Donegals Earthquake was soo yesturday,
    Now we have moved onto Icebergs :D

Ha Ha. What next ? Mount Errigal erupts leaving hundres of rural dwellers fleeing from streaming hot lava :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    True BB.
    I'm watching my neighbour fitting snowchains to his wifes car. She works in Milltown in Dublin, don't know what to say to him. She will need the chains to get out of here but from the sounds of things they wont be needed lower down and I doubt she'll be able to take them off.

It will make some sight when she arrives in Milltown in snow chains! Was visiting my mother there this morning. One big mess (but even the slush has melted off the main roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Ballinlough in Cork.....can usually see Elysian from here, not today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Its been "snowing for the last 3 hours. Only a light dusting so far. the precip is so close, yet so far away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had snow here for several days now. No thaw, met Eireann showed the mean temerature for inland Ireland has been -3C. Moderate snowfall with increasing intensity at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Sleet/hail here in Navan. Snow on the ground starting to look messy.

Any chance of more snow soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Snowing again In Kilkenny City:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

more pics:D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

According to radar im supposed to be seeing precip here for the last hour , havent seen snow in the last 4 hrs. This SNOW event is turning into a NO event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thinking of going to Glendalough tomorrow morning. Anyone know if there is much snow lying there and what the roads are like?

If you have a 4x4 it is just about doable now I expect. I am not going near the roads after seeing the traffic sliding all about this morning (4x4), even if I could get my car out of the snuff that blocked it up again last night..
    If the snow to the south gets its act together than it will be after midday tomorrow before the roads will be at all driveable with extreme care again. Probably around a foot of the stuff there like here though it is a little lower down its in a sheltered valley.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Just started snowing again. Not very heavy, but steady.
    Temperature has risen a bit.

Temperature: 1.4 °C
    Dew Point: 0.7 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

Just heard that the severe weather warning issued for today has been called off, any snow will be light and what was expected has missed us.

Ah well, back to normality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Sleety snow here
    temp 2
    dp 0.1

definite thaw on....first time ive heard the drain pipes in ages.
    I think its curtains for this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

not usually one for Postman theories but i live in Donnybrook Dublin and rarely see seagulls over head... there is a lot at the moment!! Something up in the irish sea me thinks?

Loads in Limerick too have a pic of about 5 or 6 perched on top of a roof

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

when are the temps going to flipping go back below 0c this is really horrible! if any snow comes here its never going to lay...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please don't apologise; these lift the heart.

THANK YOU!

When I go to the porch now, I have a pair of bluetits and two robins dancing in front of me.

Never seen so many larger birds in so near; thrush and blackbird.

I am the only house around and word has spread...:)
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Sorry for these,But thought i'd post some pics taken about five mins ago!You can see the snow in them so they are kind of weather shots :pac:

47A55CB6B4684F62875F6573F571DD4A-500.jpg

E0007E49443647E78963BAC8B134B646-500.jpg

A7A5A0029DC649F1A9341DE09753F19E-500.jpg

93D072DB59664413A73F3342D5A04645-500.jpg

Few more (If i take more) uploaded here,And maybe more later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well, having waiting over 5 yrs for snow here in Douglas, today's snow is proving worth waiting for. 4 hrs in and no sign of it stopping! Its picture postcard beautiful here. If you believe Sky's weather forecast on the red button EVERYWHERE on the island will get snow by tonight. V democratic! Could be drifting on Tuesday too before the thaw sets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Dark, Gloomy yet dry apart from some spitting snow grains. 0.9c.

owenc wrote: »
    when are the temps going to flipping go back below 0c this is really horrible! if any snow comes here its never going to lay...

There's always next year Owen... have patience. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

Had enough of it here at this point. Hope it all melts so we can get back to trying to hold down our jobs. Don't need the worry of how I will get into work tomorrow.

Now melt to f*ck .... all of it! Melt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snow ghost wrote: »
    There's always next year Owen... have patience. ;)

Next year! I want tomorrow off till thrusday like the schools down south!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

On Drive From Kilkenny back towards Waterford..

High Roads almost blocked in South Kilkenny, up to 6 - 8 Inches of Snowfall Easily outside of general Mullinavat area up into the hills, impassible practically.

Serious Snow Event.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tommo119

You sure you're not on about UK, Met Office has cancelled warnings here

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

Heres the link for Belview Port, great thread lads, still snowing away in Waterford http://www.portofwaterford.com/weather/Current_Monitor.htm
    Trotter wrote: »
    Lads can someone give me a link to a site with dew points for Waterford city and tell me what the magic number is that I need to hope for? Thanks a lot!

Graces7 wrote: »

When I go to the porch now, I have a pair of bluetits and two robins dancing in front of me.

Two blue tits and red breasts... it must be cold up there... cover yerself up woman, you'll give that Donegal Postman a coronary! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Snowing a bit heavier here now. Don't think its adding to the accumulations that much. We need it heavier i think. Temp 1.1c DP 0.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

snow ghost wrote: »
    Is anyone in Galway getting a snow hammering at the moment???

I think that precip. is gathering it's forces over Galway to make a full frontal attack on Mayo this evening. :D

I wouldnt call it a hammering.... nice constant snizzle of smaller flakes though, enough to give a light coating... has been like this for the guts of an hour Id say. Long may it last. First bit my kids have seen this year so we're just in from it, great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

nicnac wrote: »
    Had enough of it here at this point. Hope it all melts so we can get back to trying to hold down our jobs. Don't need the worry of how I will get into work tomorrow.

Now melt to f*ck .... all of it! Melt

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

leahyl wrote: »
    more pics:D

Thats not snow. This is snow! Naas, Co. Kildare.:D

STA71466.JPG
    STA71465.JPG
    STA71464.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement