Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bev wrote: »
    Been lurking here for a while, first post - it's snowing in Kilmacanogue now, so you might be lucky all right! :D

Any idea of temperature there. I'd really love some snow....it's been so long! :pac:

2.8c DP -0.5c here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

methinks the radar shows wishful thinking(except for snaps and deep easterly) and doesn't show whats happening at all at all!!!

1500:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roadsafety.ie

Heres some proper Snow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

leahyl wrote: »
    I have enough to keep me happy - it's got a lot lighter now though - hope it picks up again:p!

What depth have you down there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

some pics from Limerick

some frozen trees by Canal bank walk.
    101976.jpg

Parts of the Canal at Plassey is frozen
    101974.jpg

Where the Canal meets the River Shannon
    101971.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

looks more like the big thaw to me right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie

10 January 2010 16:06

Today

Outbreaks of sleet or snow, turning to rain in coastal districts, will extend slowly northwards from the southern half of the country early tonight. Later tonight, rain, sleet or snow will mostly die out in southern counties but will continue further north. Frost will occur in places overnight but will not be as severe as recently; lowest temperatures -3 to +2 degrees Celsius. Moderate, northeast to east winds will freshen at times on exposed coasts.

Tomorrow

On Monday, north Leinster, Ulster and parts of Connaught will have further outbreaks of rain or sleet which will turn to snow on higher ground; however, these will mostly die out in the evening. Isolated showers, mostly of rain, will also affect southeastern and southern coasts. Elsewhere will be dry with some sunny intervals developing. Winds will be light to moderate, east to southeast and temperatures will rise to between 1 and 5 degrees Celsius, with ground frost and ice persisting locally.

Outlook

Staying cold but the night-time temperatures won't be as extreme as recent nights and much of Munster will see temperatures returning closer to normal during the week however staying very cold for most other areas. MONDAY NIGHT: Becoming mostly dry on Monday night as the last of the sleet and snow showers in northern areas die away. Cold with frost and icy stretches and overnight lows of 0 to -4 degrees. Tuesday: Becoming very windy on Tuesday with gale force southeast to east winds developing. A band of precipitation will spread northeastwards during the day and Tuesday night but probably not reaching far northern regions. Some heavy falls of sleet and snow are expected. However it will turn to rain in Munster as temperatures rise to between 3 and 7 degrees there, but further north temperatures only around 1 to 3 degrees but still the snow could well turn to sleet in some places. Winds easing and rain, sleet and snow gradually dying out during Wednesday with drier weather developing for Thursday Not so cold in Munster and parts of west Connaught especially on Wednesday with top temperatures of 4 to 8 degrees but temperatures much lower further north and east. Cold and frosty on Wednesday night and Thursday night with temperatures possibly falling to -5 or -6 degrees on Thursday night especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

just been standing at the bottom of military hill in cork watching drivers faces drop as they realise their car is sliding back down it - quite a good spectator sport actually!

(don't worry, no accidents or injuries - just some embarrased people sitting behind steering wheels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Just left the house for the first time today. Major thaw underway in the Dublin 8 area, Roads are as good as I've seen them in a week and there are puddles of water all over the footpaths. My car is reading 5c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Any idea of temperature there. I'd really love some snow....it's been so long! :pac:

2.8c DP -0.5c here.

About 3.9 - The N11 goes through Kilmac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heres some proper Snow.....

:eek::eek::eek:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Fionagus wrote: »
    The part where it isn't snowing. :mad:[/QUOTE
    if what's falling here is all that's coming your way then your best off without !!

Managed to make a 30cm snowman in city centre. :p Better than nothing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

looks more like the big thaw to me right now...

For Dublin maybe, not necessarily for everyone though!;)

Bucketing down snow here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its lashing down snow now in Waterford. Its the same stuff as this morning but its not sticking at all. Would I be right in expecting this will stick as temperatures drop overnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What depth have you down there???

Oh i reckon about 2 cm - nothing major but i'm delighted!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Tuesday looks like fun..a deep depression centre just off the Kerry coast, a southeasterly gale and rain or sleet or snow? Who knows? Blizzards where the snow falls. Bitterly cold icy rain where it doesn't.....

i can see it pissing down over on catty gallagher - not even drizle here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If its snowing in kilmac then the Bray heads should surely be happy soon!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

For Dublin maybe, not necessarily for everyone though!;)

Bucketing down snow here now.

i see. well, wouldn't mind some more snow personally...was just getting used to winter again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think the next person who posts about the iceberg in Donegal should be shot or banned, we know already it's been posted 15 times since half 2!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Supercell wrote: »

What chance do you give the rest of the coast. Killiney - > Blackrock range? Too warm or could it go either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

duffman13 wrote: »
    I think the next person who posts about the iceberg in Donegal should be shot or banned, we know already it's been posted 15 times since half 2!!

'shot' is probably a tad excessive...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

it was snowing in ferns earlier and now i hear reports that its snowing in kilmacanogue, so the sleet/snow has forgotten to dump something on arklow:(

lol - Its just the kids are well & truely about to be crucified here so I need a snow shower to put them out in.......:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

rte.ie have reported an iceberg 1km off the coast of Donegal!!

I wonder if it's covered under carbon tax. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

alfa beta wrote: »
    'shot' is probably a tad excessive...

Possibly so!!! Maybe slapped instead or just slated from everyone!!! This anger is probably due to my snow melting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

manonmir wrote: »
    What chance do you give the rest of the coast. Killiney - > Blackrock range? Too warm or could it go either way?

Probably some sleet or snow for a time before it turns back to rain or peters out - too close to the sea and not enough elevation, cant see it settling on anything bar where it already is though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This band of precip is moving north at an incredible slow rate on the east coast. Its been spitting here for what seems hours and only now is coming down at a rate that will start accumulating before next xmas.
    Mothman down the road (http://www.wicklowweather.com/) has DP's at the right side of zero so if its snowing there too than Bray should see some snow eventually again.
    it was sleety rain here at that dp and with the temp over a degree lower so don't get the hopes up for snow in bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

...stopped... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Radar exploding now, intensification is starting.
    Heavy heavy snow for all parts between now and midnight (inc Dublin)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement