Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

6 or 7 snow flakes outside my window, they were caught on a bit of an updraft and I could hear them giggling to each other about there cousins in Ireland teasing half the country,

then they looked straight at me with flaky eyes, smiled and disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

wushu wrote: »
    To all the people attacking JS in some earlier posts there is no need for that!! he is just making a forcast and does not control the weather... if you dont like what he says or dont agree, do so in a way as to not offend!!

Tks wushu, you would think they would hold fire until tonight to see

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    Apart from one minute of light rain its been dry since early morn
    3.7/+0.2C

Being dry helps to keep snow cover :)

Must be pure orographic lift here that squeezed some precip out here so. Barely light snow/flakes in the breeze here now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

RockPaper wrote: »
    I'm out of here-the mood in here is changing along with the forecasts! :rolleyes: Most of us got some snow last night/today so I for one am happy:p

Us dubs never get anything..... we havnt had snowfall for ages!! Lol :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

leahyl wrote: »
    Where exactly are you homah?

4262366353_23f1eb1719_b.jpg

I'm in Cobh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Just to prove that there are still some mad bas****s about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

homah_7ft wrote: »

I'm in Cobh.

Jeepers that is pretty good alright for Cobh!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Met have dropped the mention of rain ? Sleet and snow ?

Leinster

10 January 2010- updated at 18:00 Today

Wintry showers of sleet and snow will continue leading to further accumulations of 3 to 5 centimetres in many places. Cold as temperatures ranging close to zero in a moderate to fresh northeast wind.

Tonight

Wintry showers continuing overnight but will start to clear southern counties. Low overnight temperatures of minus 3 to plus 3 degrees will ensure icy conditions continue.

Tomorrow

Wintry showers continuing to affect many parts will clear away, leaving most places dry by mid-afternoon. Continuing icy though as temperatures range zero to plus 4 degrees. Winds becoming southeasterly moderate to fresh.

What makes you think that though ? Are you making it up or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

not as mad as the people walking on the canal in leixlip the last few days! footprints everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Just a nice picture of the snow yesterday in Carton House

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Just a nice picture of the snow yesterday in Carton House

Cool pic man !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

I swear to god i could break something, feck it anyway, looks like nothing for galway as well feck it:mad:
    it ill come yet iam not far from galway it will push up from the south it be around 12- 2am me thinks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

dak wrote: »
    Met have dropped the mention of rain ? Sleet and snow ?

I'm convinced they don't know anything either :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Some of them just dont have a clue JS:mad: You are one the people here that actualy knows a bit about the weather and I for think they have no right to attack anyone over a forcast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

jambofc wrote: »
    met.ie radar is showing a lot of cloud cover,this link show's that up nicely.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

clear here and it says it ment to be rainning or snowing

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Snow turning to rain here now. Temperature risen slightly. Hopefully, night fall will bring back the snow but I'm not too confident.

Why?
    Temp is rising here now that it's gone dark.
    You need to know a bit about the topography of an area before you give forecasts for it.
    In the East unless the land mass to our East is a couple of degree's below freezing [Wales] then we have to make do with a degree or two below the m2 buoy and it's dp.
    Both are well above freezing.
    Cork on the other hand has the same air source but blowing over a cold dry surface drying out the surface airs humidity a bit and lowering the dp and hence the snow.
    Behind the front temps in cork will rise and there will be a thaw,a rapid thaw and rain.

Basic Geography :)

I'd have thought that all your time on net weather you'd know better by this stage.
    I'm disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Snow Sticking Again In Waterford

Leeside wrote: »
    Snow turning to rain here now. Temperature risen slightly. Hopefully, night fall will bring back the snow but I'm not too confident.

No LEESIDE!! Where exactly are you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Is that bloody precipitation going to ever move North of Galway??? :confused:

Am I right, in wildly imagining, that it is building up to plaster Mayo in the coming hours???

On a further note, I expect the West to get hammered with snow in a few days when that westerly front from the Atlantic hits (please note this is based on absolutley no knowledge of the weather other than knowing its unpredicatability and ability to catch you unawares with snow). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

0.3c here in Lissarda. Snow continues to fall. Just came in from the hill in the next field after being out there with the family and a body board. Great fun. 2 inchs of snow here, I would think.

Some of them just dont have a clue JS:mad: You are one the people here that actualy knows a bit about the weather and I for think they have no right to attack anyone over a forcast!!

Are you losing your mind ? I said I'd believe him if he backed up what he said otherwise there are enough FACTS to prove what he said is a crock of crap.

Unfortunately, we aren't all Donegal postmen so these once off flukes don't consistantly work.

Now show the facts or adios !

Wushu-I'm not attacking js.
    I'm just presenting facts.
    Coastal areas like wicklow town may forget about snow untill it gets colder and it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ Karlie Bitter Jury

Alicat wrote: »
    I'm convinced they don't know anything either :P

Me too.

I say let's go burn down the Observatory so this will never happen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

leahyl wrote: »
    No LEESIDE!! Where exactly are you??

South side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Us dubs never get anything..... we havnt had snowfall for ages!! Lol :P :)

I wish you slush! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thaw getting faster and faster, only hours away now from green grass. The Atlantic today has totally owned the snow and driven away the artic conditions quicker than anyone ever imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Still falling heavier than ever in rochestown. Only about an inch in total though.

• Advertisement

Leeside wrote: »
    South side.

Oh sh*te - nightmare tomorrow morning getting to work methinks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement