Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Wushu-I'm not attacking js.
    I'm just presenting facts.
    Coastal areas like wicklow town may forget about snow untill it gets colder and it won't.
    Oh I know you are not ( you are one of the people here that knows what they are talking about) but to the poster who asked am I "loosing my mind" no im not... so dont start attacking other people because you are frustrated with lack of snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

pp_me129 wrote: »
    Snow Sticking Again In Waterford

stuck all day long out here, hope it doesn't go overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Tks wushu, you would think they would hold fire until tonight to see

Met Eireann's radar is clearly not showing the precipitation spread accurately for some reason. No doubt the south is seeing snow, but in some other areas where it shows blue, there is nothing. I can vouch for that. I have watched the radar 'explode' , but it doesn't correspond to what is being reported.

The snow or rain or whatever, isn't as widespread as it looks.

That is all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

STILL snowing in Kerry,Non stop since 11 am!

Last of the pics while it's light:
    E8E8D4F40A854165A38E8FB0F305783E-500.jpg

4C82C99B4D544EB9A86ADF3050602C52-500.jpg

B4235B30F1644FA8B376A9151331B7E0-500.jpg

BEFB7B43BB874BBDB202A0E630979895-500.jpg

More here(Uploaded them to the wrong album!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

darkmaster2 is it still snowing near Mallow, I'm about 8 miles from the town and it has stopped here now for the moment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    Is that bloody precipitation going to ever move North of Galway??? :confused:

. :)

It is a quasi stationary front which si a slow moving one so bide your time snow ghost. It is forecast to push north.

Just spent last hout sledging here. Snow still falling. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

So whats the likelihood of south dublin getting any snow - would love to be snowed in tomorrow. Ive seen a pack of clouds all day but nothing falling out of them. It feels cold but i think this is down to the fact that there's a breeze and a big snow fight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 granadaghia

Hi anyone want to buy a massive load of rock salt ? very cheap for quick sale due to change of plans, more shipments on the way also ordered in error .
    Apply in writing only to Mr J Gormless , co NRA ,
    We also have hundreds of staff available for non events, double and treble time paid for by the State..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann's radar is clearly not showing the precipitation spread accurately for some reason. No doubt the south is seeing snow, but in some other areas where it shows blue, there is nothing. I can vouch for that. I have watched the radar 'explode' , but it doesn't correspond to what is being reported.

The snow or rain or whatever, isn't as widespread as it looks.

That is all. :)

very true, blue over me all day and hardly a drop of rain or a flake of snow. Just a very rapid thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ricky91t wrote: »
    STILL snowing in Kerry,Non stop since 11 am!

Last of the pics while it's light:
    E8E8D4F40A854165A38E8FB0F305783E-500.jpg

4C82C99B4D544EB9A86ADF3050602C52-500.jpg

B4235B30F1644FA8B376A9151331B7E0-500.jpg

BEFB7B43BB874BBDB202A0E630979895-500.jpg

More here(Uploaded them to the wrong album!)

Those pics are brilliant Ricky - the last one with the little birdie - amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Just had another look. Back to snow, a bit wet but sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

sue3 wrote: »
    any reports from mayo!
    In claremorris...scary grey sky but no snow all day. Slight thaw but nothing too serious. Had to let a little stray kitten into the house..she's alseep on the chair. Maybe if everyone goes outside and does a snow dance we might get lucky!

It looks like its raining here in Ballinrobe

Gonzo wrote: »
    thaw getting faster and faster, only hours away now from green grass. The Atlantic today has totally owned the snow and driven away the artic conditions quicker than anyone ever imagined.
    oh gonzo...
    Not you too with the misinformation.
    It's not the atlantic thats destroying the snow,it's fceking been snowing down in valentia co kerry jutting out into the atlantic ffs.
    It's the irish sea thats the problem this time and the fact that the air blowing over it isn't as cold as it was yesterday or wenesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sleet and light snow falling in blanchardstown very light though and bitterly cold

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

From rte.ie
    1631 A spokesperson for Dublin City Council says about 1,400 staff have been treating roads and pavements today.
    The council says gritting has been going well, as rock salt had been stored in response to weather warnings which had forecast further snow this weekend.

In other words they are really saying, Thank God there is a thaw, it makes us look competent! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

thomasj wrote: »
    Sleet and light snow falling in blanchardstown very light though and bitterly cold

really!!! howd it pass d13??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

oh gonzo...
    Not you too with the misinformation.
    It's not the atlantic thats destroying the snow,it's fceking been snowing down in valentia co kerry jutting out into the atlantic ffs.
    It's the irish sea thats the problem this time and the fact that the air blowing over it isn't as cold as it was yesterday or wenesday.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Radar intensifying further over southern half of country
    Snowing here now for 5 hours non stop, all buses to the northside of cork cancelled. Reports on the radio that the mallow road is lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Hi anyone want to buy a massive load of rock salt ? very cheap for quick sale due to change of plans, more shipments on the way also ordered in error .
    Apply in writing only to Mr J Gormless , co NRA ,
    We also have hundreds of staff available for non events, double and treble time paid for by the State..

and if any of this stuff was not in place there would be more moans!!

cant make anyone happy in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Well I'm snowed in here.The 1 1/2mile long road out of our cul de sac is covered in3 inches of snow.any more tonight and I'll be goosed for days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    It is a quasi stationary front which si a slow moving one so bide your time snow ghost. It is forecast to push north.

Just spent last hout sledging here. Snow still falling. Magical.

Nice one Wolfe, glad you got (and are getting) plenty of snow, here's to the West coast being the sledging Capital of the World tomorrow morning. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Martron wrote: »
    and if any of this stuff was not in place there would be more moans!!

cant make anyone happy in this country

Im not happy with your comment........ :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow ghost wrote: »
    Nice one Wolfe, glad you got (and are getting) plenty of snow, here's to the West coast being the sledging Capital of the World tomorrow morning. ;)
    well i was in training for the 2028 winter olympics at the Westport Superdome.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

just for the pure eejits (me)

so does it mean that the high pressure that was showing held fast allowing the air to warm up slightly,

or is it that the lows which were showing just got weak,

I do understand that there is good snow in the south of Ireland, just wondering about the Irish sea air temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Lots of snow in Waterford for ya Leahyl !!! Never thought I'd be writing that !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes can confirm it is raining here in Ballinrobe, Mayo. Also my heating isnt working upstairs, seems the valve that is controlled by the upstairs thermostat is'nt opening, so no heat upstairs.

Going to get drunk now, very drunk.

Waited all day for snow, watched the front get to Galway and sit there, now it is doing something, its RAINING.

paddybar wrote: »
    Well I'm snowed in here.The 1 1/2mile long road out of our cul de sac is covered in3 inches of snow.any more tonight and I'll be goosed for days
    Tbh I've had to put up with 6 inches of snow and ice on my lane all week and the milk lorry came in on it yesterday.
    That said I pulled 3 eejits out of the ditch yesterday after wrecking their cars not knowing how to drive in snow and going too fast.
    Last night I had to drive in low 4wd and still slithered every time I wanted to stop or turn in somewhere.
    The mess on the road will take days to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    well i was in training for the 2028 winter olympics at the Westport Superdome.;)

2026, actually - http://www.winterolympics2026.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

More than I thought is actually falling, a good 5cm of new snow on the ground here.
    Only settling on the ground though which is covered with really cold snow of course.
    Hopefully the main road will be better with salt and ploughing tomorrow.
    The view into the yard hereis surreal, huge mounds of snow the farmer has ploughed to make the yard driveable but its got at least 5cm of new snow over the compacted hard 3cm+ there already.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

snow in blanch? please send truck loads of it to ranelagh. i do love the snow. so much better then the rain. and wind. i want to have snowball fights and build snow bears.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement