Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Any snow on the way to Dublin ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    well i was in training for the 2028 winter olympics at the Westport Superdome.;)

Did you bring Owen with you ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

ski Sunday is on and there doing the hill jumps, its mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

snow in blanch? please send truck loads of it to ranelagh. i do love the snow. so much better then the rain. and wind. i want to have snowball fights and build snow bears.

Me too and i want it to hit ranalagh too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

irishdub14 wrote: »
    really!!! howd it pass d13??? :confused:

i dont know but it was a very light shower outside the blanchardstown centre. Has more or less stopped but i have hope now for tonight given i have seen the odd flake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Snow here in Cork City just gets heavier and heavier. All sticking. 2 or 3 inches by now. Could be 6 by morning if this keeps up!

Hi anyone want to buy a massive load of rock salt ? very cheap for quick sale due to change of plans, more shipments on the way also ordered in error .
    Apply in writing only to Mr J Gormless , co NRA ,
    We also have hundreds of staff available for non events, double and treble time paid for by the State..

Well, at least we'll have some for the next event, Whenever that is!
    Only we just paid top whack, rather than during the summer sales. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ok I was wrong about the Atlantic comment, The Irish Sea has kept the eastern end milder over past 8 hours or so, very few parts of the East saw proper snow today because of that. We just have to all admit now that it really is game over. it all came to a sudden end very quickly. Even the rest of the country now has rising temperatures and its now dark. Looking at met eireann website only Cork Airport is below freezing with most locations 1-4C at this stage, its only a matter of time before remaining snow turns to sleet and rain.

Time to go back to the charts and look out for the next cold snap/spell.

Tbh I've had to put up with 6 inches of snow and ice on my lane all week and the milk lorry came in on it yesterday.
    That said I pulled 3 eejits out of the ditch yesterday after wrecking their cars not knowing how to drive in snow and going too fast.
    Last night I had to drive in low 4wd and still slithered every time I wanted to stop or turn in somewhere.
    The mess on the road will take days to clear.

& TBH people maybe shouting thaw thaw but if it freezes on the slight thaw we had we in a worse mess ...... Sure new years eve snow never melted so we sub zero for 10 days now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    well i was in training for the 2028 winter olympics at the Westport Superdome.;)

I might get some traning in for those Olymics meself tomorrow... a ski on that Iceberg off Donegal. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Alpine conditions down here near Kinsale. 3 inches at least and still falling heavily. Not seen snow like this in a decade.

Temp 0.4C (DP -0.7) - pretty constant all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Still snowing in Waterford, but a definite thaw happening now.

Snow here in Cork City just gets heavier and heavier. All sticking. 2 or 3 inches by now. Could be 6 by morning if this keeps up!
    Again to attach an air of realism [spoilsport to some] but inevitably warmer air is following that front so I'd expect cork city to one of the first places for the thaw to set in by tomorrow and rain to be falling.
    So get out and enjoy it as it WILL be fleeting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Yep, in the 10 mins its the heaviest its been all day. Thats more than 6 hours of snow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Tbh I've had to put up with 6 inches of snow and ice on my lane all week and the milk lorry came in on it yesterday.
    That said I pulled 3 eejits out of the ditch yesterday after wrecking their cars not knowing how to drive in snow and going too fast.
    Last night I had to drive in low 4wd and still slithered every time I wanted to stop or turn in somewhere.
    The mess on the road will take days to clear.
    I'm just talking about work.managed to drive a mile (2wd)down to feed the horse without incident but I live 38miles from the job and dont fancy a 3 hr drive there and back.the cork mallow road is apparently lethal,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

jenzz wrote: »
    Did you bring Owen with you ?:D

No he is skiing on his lake that has 18" of ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

has MET Eirann rader gone into melt down or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Heyes wrote: »
    Me too and i want it to hit ranalagh too :D

neighbour!!

maybe if we concentrate really hard, we can make it snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 THE BISCH

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Again to attach an air of realism [spoilsport to some] but inevitably warmer air is following that front so I'd expect cork city to one of the first places for the thaw to set in by tomorrow and rain to be falling.

Don't worry, all the twenty and thirtysomethings on our estate have been out building snowmen and having snowball fights. We've had more fun than the kids. :p

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ok I was wrong about the Atlantic comment, The Irish Sea has kept the eastern end milder over past 8 hours or so, very few parts of the East saw proper snow today because of that. We just have to all admit now that it really is game over. it all came to a sudden end very quickly. Even the rest of the country now has rising temperatures and its now dark. Looking at met eireann website only Cork Airport is below freezing with most locations 1-4C at this stage, its only a matter of time before remaining snow turns to sleet and rain.

Time to go back to the charts and look out for the next cold snap/spell.
    Actually 12 stations-nra and private mostly in the southwestern part of the country and the area the north easterly has travelled over most land to get to are still at or below freezing.
    Thats a big area and a large part of inland Ireland that will continue to see snow for several hours in some cases and over a day for others further north.

Even you gonzo are at risk of snow if it's falling at blanch.
    The thaw will inevitably follow the front-thats a thaw in whats falling out of the sky that is not whats on the ground yet.
    That will take ages to thaw properly as while it will warm up it will still be cold just not cold enough to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I'd expect cork city to one of the first places for the thaw to set in by tomorrow and rain to be falling.

Dont you mean sleeting?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Night time shot and its bloody beautiful outside, complete blanket of snow.
    Apoligies for the picture quality from my phone

Image025.jpg
    Image026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I got my igloo built. I'm satisfied.

So is there still meant to be a cold front and more snow for Dublin/Leinster mid week ?

THE BISCH wrote: »

At least there is a different shade of blue over me now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

neighbour!!

maybe if we concentrate really hard, we can make it snow.

OR........ The 2 of you can come up to Rathfarnham and play with mine.....(SNOW) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

has MET Eirann rader gone into melt down or something,

No but look at the UKMO radar looks like a butterfly has landed on munster!

paddybar wrote: »
    I'm just talking about work.managed to drive a mile (2wd)down to feed the horse without incident but I live 38miles from the job and dont fancy a 3 hr drive there and back.the cork mallow road is apparently lethal,
    I'd understand that-but surely thats a national primary route and will be salted ?It's the main road from cork to limerick isn't it?

Up here the difference between treated and untreated roads is like the difference between ibizza and the north pole :)

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    No he is skiing on his lake that has 18" of ice!

28" now & 3 FT of snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement