Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

it finally snowed today on the drum hills just outside dungarvan
    went for a walk through the woods with the kids this evening was really beautifull. the lads rolled a snowball along the forestryroad for nearly half a mile it was huge, i took pictures but it says the file is to big to upload:confused: if anyone knows a way around this i will stick up a few pics:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Still snowing in cork. Mallow road according to 96fm is ****ing lethal. Bus Eireann have stopped services to the northside of the city as they cant get up there safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

102005.JPG

Snow still falling here.

My Daughter a bit earlier on the hill in the field beside us.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Blizzard here now. If it keeps up this heavy it will definitely stick. Temp is 0.8c which it has been for much of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

should they be right & the snows gone (and what huge turnaround in preedictions that is) what on earth will the countrytalk about?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Still snowing in cork. Mallow road according to 96fm is ****ing lethal. Bus Eireann have stopped services to the northside of the city as they cant get up there safely.

when could they ever :)

Yes but when the snow stops - won't it be treated?
    As I said it's a national primary route afaik under the control of the nra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GavinH wrote: »

My Daughter a bit earlier on the hill in the field beside us.:D

nice one Gavin. That's what it's all about. Enjoying it while you can. Great memories for the kids and all of us who see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Today, I have seen the most prolonged & exceptional snowfall that I've ever witnessed in Ireland before. Total accumulations of 8 inches, drifts in excess of 12 inches over the highest hills of South Kilkenny.

Even in Waterford, the long awaited snowfalls finally came.

To everyone who saw snowfall, congratulations. To those who didn't and happened to be on the wrong side of marginality, don't despair too much. There will be more chances down the line & your time of seeing snowfall will come again.

Overall though, an absolutely epic day of snowfall for quite a few.

Take care on those roads everyone, they are exceptionally dangerous.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Don't worry, all the twenty and thirtysomethings on our estate have been out building snowmen and having snowball fights. We've had more fun than the kids. :p

true, a group of "adults" in my estate have built a snowman that's well over 6 foot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I'd understand that-but surely thats a national primary route and will be salted ?

Up here the difference between treated and untreated roads is like the difference between ibizza and the north pole :)
    same here I'm15miles from the primary rd at the bottom of a mountain 1 1/2 miles from a secondary up the top of a boreen.and anyway I need a day off .:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just waiting on it to hit the midlands and north now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Well on the plus side here in Dublin at least the post i've been waiting for will arrive tomorrow. My postman have been M.I.A all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

latest 3 hour forecast shows that we lucky ones by the Lee are in for a few more hours of snow yet. This surely is the perfect storm.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

lucky-colm wrote: »
    it finally snowed today on the drum hills just outside dungarvan
    went for a walk through the woods with the kids this evening was really beautifull. the lads rolled a snowball along the forestryroad for nearly half a mile it was huge, i took pictures but it says the file is to big to upload:confused: if anyone knows a way around this i will stick up a few pics:D
    set up an account at www.photobucket.com and up link them to there it's free and then post the links here so we can see them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

Bucklesman wrote: »
    I got my igloo built. I'm satisfied.

any chance of a pic:D

castie wrote: »
    when could they ever :)

Ah you know what i mean.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    nice one Gavin. That's what it's all about. Enjoying it while you can. Great memories for the kids and all of us who see snow

Thanks Wolf. Yes no time wasted. If its gone tomorrow, well then at least we had some fun. First time my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son have played in the snow. Magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheMoose

Looks like the worst is now over, the met office have just predicted 10 more days of freezing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

So what is up with Met Eireann's radar?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

There's blue completely covering Dublin yet it hasn't been snowing here all day!?

• Advertisement

Yes but when the snow stops - won't it be treated?
    As I said it's a national primary route afaik under the control of the nra.

well according to the radio people driving on it have text in to say it is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Today, I have seen the most prolonged & exceptional snowfall that I've ever witnessed in Ireland before. Total accumulations of 8 inches, drifts in excess of 12 inches over the highest hills of South Kilkenny.

Even in Waterford, the long awaited snowfalls finally came.

To everyone who saw snowfall, congratulations. To those who didn't and happened to be on the wrong side of marginality, don't despair too much. There will be more chances down the line & your time of seeing snowfall will come again.

Overall though, an absolutely epic day of snowfall for quite a few.

Take care on those roads everyone, they are exceptionally dangerous.

SA :)

SA, do you think any of the snow from waterford and cork will hit Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Which one is correct?

UK

102006.jpg

ME

Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

jez what's happened all that cloud here in the southwest? :mad:

Web_radar.gif

ukmo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

I see shannon radar has bit the dust too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

AntiRip wrote: »

Shannon Radar is down

AntiRip wrote: »

Web_radar.gif

Shannon Radar not displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

tinkerbell wrote: »
    So what is up with Met Eireann's radar?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

There's blue completely covering Dublin yet it hasn't been snowing here all day!?

Someone doing their colour by numbers chart got it all wrong - not a drop here all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

snaps wrote: »
    Which one is correct?

UK

ME

Snap SNAPS! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snaps wrote: »
    Which one is correct?

UK

102006.jpg

ME

Web_radar.gif

Def the first one - what the hell is going on with ME one??! It's still snowing here in Cork City all be it lightly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement