Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

just waiting on it to hit the midlands and north now...

After years of weather observing, I should know better, but I am in the same boat, waiting for an event that clearly isn't going to happen. Either the snow is fragmenting as it moves north or is sliding too far northwestward away from the midlands I don't know. But we have missed EVERY event in the past 2 weeks, getting the scraps from a few dustings.

Personally, late December 2000 remains the benchmark for me as regards snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    OR........ The 2 of you can come up to Rathfarnham and play with mine.....(SNOW) :D
    yeah u guys have loads of it. lucky. how will we get there though. hmmmmi suggest you fly to ranelagh & collect us from mcsorleys,and then fly back and we can build an epic snow bear
    Snowaddict wrote: »
    Today, I have seen the most prolonged & exceptional snowfall that I've ever witnessed in Ireland before. Total accumulations of 8 inches, drifts in excess of 12 inches over the highest hills of South Kilkenny.

Even in Waterford, the long awaited snowfalls finally came.

To everyone who saw snowfall, congratulations. To those who didn't and happened to be on the wrong side of marginality, don't despair too much. There will be more chances down the line & your time of seeing snowfall will come again.

Overall though, an absolutely epic day of snowfall for quite a few.

Take care on those roads everyone, they are exceptionally dangerous.

SA :)

soooo jealous clonmel is heavily snowed too. has been pretty much since before christmas. save for a few days thaw that made me sad.
    TheMoose wrote: »
    Looks like the worst is now over, the met office have just predicted 10 more days of freezing. :D

woo hoo

well according to the radio people driving on it have text in to say it is very bad.
    of course it is.
    They ain't going to treat it untill it stops snowing which will be later nonight or in the wee hours.
    The salt is like magic.
    3 or 4 inches of snow in an air temp well below zero on the n11 disappeared when it was done..If it snows on it after[which I doubt in cork] it usually is enough to keep the slow lane clear with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Shannon radar hit by a flake a snow again and goes down. It's a disgrace at this stage especially with the severity of the weather down there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Well it's very localised. Go into Mullinavat & up the Hills, there is a copious amount of snowfall. Is it not snowing heavy there?

Went sledding in the hills around Mullinavat today. Has been snowing constantly with only about a 30min break this morning. Everywhere has at least 4 inches with more in places. This is from this morning.

4u9xxf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There seems to be data missing for the south east corner in the radar too, can people in the very south east confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

First few flakes falling here now since this morning.Can just see them in the yard light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

jenzz wrote: »
    Someone doing their colour by numbers chart got it all wrong - not a drop here all day

& as i type lumps of some thing fall from the sky...

Its not snow
    Its not sleet
    Its not hail
    Its not graupel

Its like snowballs ( im not being smart)- remember the chewing gum - weirdest thing I ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

If it snows here tonight, i will be well and truely stunned:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Same amount of snow here falling as all day, but thaw has stopped and thfew flakes are starting to stick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jbsenna

10LX Before he melts!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

jenzz wrote: »
    & as i type lumps of some thing fall from the sky...

Its not snow
    Its not sleet
    Its not hail
    Its not graupel

Its like snowballs ( im not being smart)- remember the chewing gum - weirdest thing I ever seen

Large graupel possibly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Typical RTE news. No mention of the south yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Heyes wrote: »
    SA, do you think any of the snow from waterford and cork will hit Dublin ?

Hi there,

Precipitation will spread northwards eventually towards Dublin. However, it is likely to continue to be marginal in Eastern coastal areas, as indicated on the 12Z UKMO NAE Guidance:

10011100_1012.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Leeside wrote: »
    Typical RTE news. No mention of the south yet.

I think the snow was unexpected here. ME predicted "wintry showers" - we're into our seventh hour of heavy snowfall.

Not that I'm complaining.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

yeah u guys have loads of it. lucky. how will we get there though. hmmmmi suggest you fly to ranelagh & collect us from mcsorleys,and then fly back and we can build an epic snow bear

woo hoo

No probs might have to re fuel in McSorleys though....... could take a while..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I think the snow was unexpected here. ME predicted "wintry showers" - we're into our seventh hour of heavy snowfall.

Not that I'm complaining.....:D

Cá bhfuil Átha an Mhaide?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dannyboymed

Is it all over for good in Dublin then? Because looking outside now in Clondalkin/Lucan, I see what looks like rain falling from the sky, it might be a bit sleety. Last night at about 4am there was an incredible amount of snow piled up everywhere, but most of it melted today. If we don't get any more tonight or tomorrow, south Dublin is just going to be a slushy mess for the rest of the week then it's over. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

dolliemix wrote: »

Was just wondering the same thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

deep easterly, whats it doing with you? Its pissing down with rain here, so hard its coming down the chimney! All my frost and snow that was on the ground is going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

dolliemix wrote: »

Riverstick - just north of Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

snaps wrote: »
    Which one is correct?

UK

102006.jpg

ME

Web_radar.gif

Neither of them. They've both been showing precipitation in Dublin for the last few hours but there's been no snow, sleet or rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

got it sorted a few pics from west waterford

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad143/lucky-colm/?newest=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Paul Cunningham seems to have been confined to the studio since the hat incident the other night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lyn27

Min wrote: »
    There seems to be data missing for the south east corner in the radar too, can people in the very south east confirm this?
    im in Ennicorthy all we got was rain so all snow has thawed n not a flake of snow in sight:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest ukmo shows the ppn intensify over Ireland through the night
    I'll stick my neck out here and say it could snow in cork until daybreak tomorrow!!
    6 inches or more likely

glad to report loads of snow in mallow - very light here now again! have been out enjoying it so taking a break to catch up! lovely powdery snow as francis wilson predicted on sky news. great stuff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Mmcd wrote: »
    Went sledding in the hills around Mullinavat today. Has been snowing constantly with only about a 30min break this morning. Everywhere has at least 4 inches with more in places. This is from this morning.

Great pictures, I measured in two locations up on the very top hills, lying level snow of 8 inches, drifting is severe up at the top, through the fields. It's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

Sleet now in D18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Hi there,

Precipitation will spread northwards eventually towards Dublin. However, it is likely to continue to be marginal in Eastern coastal areas, as indicated on the 12Z UKMO NAE Guidance:

10011100_1012.gif

Okay thanks, looks like work tomorrow so :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    No probs might have to re fuel in McSorleys though....... could take a while..:D

tis a nice warm pub. pretty sure it just started raining. but my windows so far away, and the curtains are shut & i don't wanna get up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement