Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

glad to report loads of snow in mallow - very light here now again! have been out enjoying it so taking a break to catch up! lovely powdery snow as francis wilson predicted on sky news. great stuff.:)

Great Munsterleg! Do you think we'll get it in the city again? Has stopped for the moment now

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kegg

will castlebar get some snow this evenin? or will it die before it gets this far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

Guys, how long 'till this snow hits Dublin tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Great pictures, I measured in two locations up on the very top hills, lying level snow of 8 inches, drifting is severe up at the top, through the fields. It's fantastic!

SA :)
    As long as tomorrow gets that bit colder which it seems its meant to Id hope that we'd be topping a foot in places. Was no thaw here but everyones elses horror stories are scaring me :p
    Will be sure to post pics if we do get near it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Raining here again now. It's amazing how much snow was outside at 2am last night with the prospect of another dumping today it was potentially amazing. Now the very last of the slush is being washed away by rain. I kind of miss the brutal cold too in short burts, its only 3-4c outside but it feels tropical in context!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

By the sounds of things i dont think we'll be getting any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Great pictures, I measured in two locations up on the very top hills, lying level snow of 8 inches, drifting is severe up at the top, through the fields. It's fantastic!

SA :)

Had a lot of that snow in thomastown too, but it was lighter, wetter and only started sticking in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Another 365 days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Snow still falling in Waterford but it seems to be thawing out quicker than the falling snow can keep up with. :(

Anyway, I went into the city centre today (I thought I was mad heading in), but there were loads of people in town and I got some rare pics of a snowy city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

Heyes wrote: »
    By the sounds of things i dont think we'll be getting any.
    Aw :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

looking at irelandsweather.com, who would have thought munster would be the coldest!

Wheres owenc? Has he melted as Coleraine is the warmest part of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

lyn27 wrote: »
    im in Ennicorthy all we got was rain so all snow has thawed n not a flake of snow in sight:(

So the radar is wrong for the south east corner too then.

No thaw here yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Dry now here. Very light snow for the past 6 hours gave a light dusting. less than 1cm anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Looking at that chart from SnowAddict, I think I'm right on the line between snow and rain :pac: Couldn't be any more marginal, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Around 3 inches of snow here.

I made the mistake of going to the supermarket and got stranded half a mile from home on the way back.

Oh the Fun!
    :D

what part of mallow are you around roughly? up high? killarney road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still snowing heavy here in east cork
    By the way I said last night it woul snow on the boats in cobh today, which did happen.
    All the models for the last 2 days showed the ppn being heaviest in the south
    Of course met eireann didn't say this.
    And yes no mention of Cork in the rte news eventhough all buses are cancelled, roads treacherous and water supplies at very low levels
    2nd largest city yet not a mention.

I say more heavy snow for Cork throughout the night, no travel should be attempted. Tomorrow morning will be treacherous for us, stay at home.
    A fast thaw tomorrow evening followed by flooding on Tuesday night will be the next news story.
    In the meantime enjoy ths snow cork you deserve it (and waterford of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Well I never thought I'd see almost 3 inches of snow on the road here in West Limerick and still snowing :eek::D

Cleared the drive of snow earlier when it had lightened off a bit but what a waste of time :D:cool:

Not even going to attempt to read the hundreds of past posts since I posted earlier but will monitor new ones for another while.

Snow is a bit too soft to make a decent snowman from or make decent snowballs but good fun had anyways.

Road is getting compacted from the light traffic but something is telling me that it won't freeze too bad tonight so things mightn't actually be too bad in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

445279.ie wrote: »
    Paul Cunningham seems to have been confined to the studio since the hat incident the other night :D

What happened?

Now that I think about it Eileen Dunne mentioned something about a hat yesterday or the day before when introducing him. Thought she was just referring to weather in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jbsenna

thumb_lg_10LX.jpg Heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Timistry wrote: »
    Dry now here. Very light snow for the past 6 hours gave a light dusting. less than 1cm anyways...
    Still snowing here in Farranfore and has been since 12.30pm today, got heavier around 4pm and still coming down heavy, id say 2cm by now as very light earlier. Very powdery stuff but not complaining:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

445279.ie wrote: »
    Paul Cunningham seems to have been confined to the studio since the hat incident the other night :D

He's busy answering requests for him to star in Alice in Winter Wonderland as the Mad Hatter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

My contact in Met Eirean has confidently predicted we will have a lot more snow on the 20 of January, they've been spot on so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

Did the Shannon station go down for 15 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Shannon radar back up on met.ie now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Still hasnt stopped snowing here in clonmel since 12.30 today. really bucketing down for the last hour. Looking like its time for a few snow angles and a hot whiskey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Still snowing heavy here in east cork
    By the way I said last night it woul snow on the boats in cobh today, which did happen.
    All the models for the last 2 days showed the ppn being heaviest in the south
    Of course met eireann didn't say this.
    And yes no mention of Cork in the rte news eventhough all buses are cancelled, roads treacherous and water supplies at very low levels
    2nd largest city yet not a mention.

I say more heavy snow for Cork throughout the night, no travel should be attempted. Tomorrow morning will be treacherous for us, stay at home.
    A fast thaw tomorrow evening followed by flooding on Tuesday night will be the next news story.
    In the meantime enjoy ths snow cork you deserve it (and waterford of course)

Third largest city in fairness. Belfast is bigger than Cork boy..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

What an unbelievably, utterly dissapointing and totally sickening let down of a day!!! :( Batt O'Keefe and his friggin' 'snow storm'......where the feck was the persistant snow showers as forecast and the 5-10cm?! The only persistant thing I seen today was the drips of a thaw! :(:(

7584.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Could the blue over Dublin be high altitude snow that evaporates before it reaches the ground?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

-1 in Lucan, and raining.
    I've just spread the last 40kg of salt- hope I get more tomorrow. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snaps wrote: »
    looking at irelandsweather.com, who would have thought munster would be the coldest!

Wheres owenc? Has he melted as Coleraine is the warmest part of Ireland?

Alas poor owen... all they found was a carrot and two pieces of coal. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement