Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

If you like the thought of snow thawing, wet and windy weather off the atlantic, then you're in for a treat! :(

FLOODS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

kegg wrote: »
    people on our local lake! 10 seconds after i took this pic a loud crack could be heard!

Because if you throw a few stones on first without braking it, its sure to be able to take a load of people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

DDigital wrote: »
    FLOODS!

END OF WORLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Prundic

people on our local lake! 10 seconds after i took this pic a loud crack could be heard!

Seriously,how silly can people be? So dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

is the snow finished in Limerick? looks like lots on the radar but not a crumb falling....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still snowing heavy here in east cork
    By the way I said last night it woul snow on the boats in cobh today, which did happen.
    All the models for the last 2 days showed the ppn being heaviest in the south
    Of course met eireann didn't say this.
    And yes no mention of Cork in the rte news eventhough all buses are cancelled, roads treacherous and water supplies at very low levels
    2nd largest city yet not a mention.

I say more heavy snow for Cork throughout the night, no travel should be attempted. Tomorrow morning will be treacherous for us, stay at home.
    A fast thaw tomorrow evening followed by flooding on Tuesday night will be the next news story.
    In the meantime enjoy ths snow cork you deserve it (and waterford of course)

well we certainly got more than met eireann predicted! the sooner we set up the peoples republic the better so we can have our own news without the dublin bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Okay so here is the way I see it from the ME forcast. Snow will continue in the South until into the night. Tomorrow there will be no precipitation for the South. Temperatures may rise to 4c. A thaw will start to take affect slowly from tomorrow evening in the South. One way or the other, what fell today will still be around to be enjoyed tomorrow. After that it looks likely we will be back to milder wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

For those who live in the republic of dublin , there is a huge chunk of landmass outside the M50. Hard to believe I know.

Like the other events that were 'non-events' this one has left a good few inches of snow here, no sign of thaw and still snowing.

So non-event for the republic of dublin maybe but not for those of us unlucky enough not to live there. Bear this in mind before declaring something a non-event.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Still snowing here in Farranfore and has been since 12.30pm today, got heavier around 4pm and still coming down heavy, id say 2cm by now as very light earlier. Very powdery stuff but not complaining:D

Sweet. We missed the main bank of cloud all through the day so a crap day weatherwise. I had to lol at the weather forecast just there. Once the rain comes on tuesday, loads of precip around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Yes indeed Mick,

The powdery snow overnight came about when conditions were less marginal, DPs were lower as were temps. As the winds gradually picked up today & temperatures rose, the snow will have become more of the heavy, wet snow type.

Still though, I'm sure you are delighted to have seen some very decent snowfall.

SA :)

I certainly am delighted with what we got Snowaddict. Cheers for the explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is the snow finished in Limerick? looks like lots on the radar but not a crumb falling....:confused:

it's all on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Is accuweather lying to me? They still have snow on the menu for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Guess they couldn't figure out what the loud crack was - given the probable average IQ of the bunch :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

One thing I'll take from all this is to come here every day for my forecasts. The accuracy and explanations/rational provided by MT in the daily forecasts thread was far more accurate that any other forecast I've seen, quite scary how accurate in fact! I never realised how conservative/wrong/non specific ME forecasts were before. Pretty much every broadcaster was ramping up and all were on board yesterday for sure.

Things are going to calm down a lot here in the next few days, looks like our only potential snow this week could be off a front coming in off the atlantic, unlikely. It's been a very exciting 3 weeks in here, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

If you like the thought of snow thawing, wet and windy weather off the atlantic, then you're in for a treat! :(

Thank fcuk. I am sick and tired of getting up every morning worried that my water pipes are frozen and all the rest of that sh*te that comes with it.

The snow was beautiful - but walking around in it today was awful - fresh snow is gorgeous but once it gets messy it looks horrible.

I would welcome some wet, mild and windy weather now (I know I am a heathen saying that in here)

But then we get floods - more pictures of swollen rivers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

anyone know what is the email address for sending pictures to rte?

snow is amazing in east cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

it's all on the ground.

ya it was good while it lasted..... will we see more tonite i wonder?? have a drive to do in morning....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Yes indeed Mick,

The powdery snow overnight came about when conditions were less marginal, DPs were lower as were temps. As the winds gradually picked up today & temperatures rose, the snow will have become more of the heavy, wet snow type.

Still though, I'm sure you are delighted to have seen some very decent snowfall.

As the night goes on will the DP not become the right side of marginal or is the air in this front too warm to let that happen ? Will the air within the front not become colder as a result of passing over a country that's frozen ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

snow is more or less gone here and its not half as cold as it was, im just south of bray in wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

manonmir wrote: »
    One thing I'll take from all this is to come here every day for my forecasts. The accuracy and explanations/rational provided by MT in the daily forecasts thread was far more accurate that any other forecast I've seen, quite scary how accurate in fact! I never realised how conservative/wrong/non specific ME forecasts were before. Pretty much every broadcaster was ramping up and all were on board yesterday for sure.

Things are going to calm down a lot here in the next few days, looks like our only potential snow this week could be off a front coming in off the atlantic, unlikely. It's been a very exciting 3 weeks in here, fair play.

Yes, I agree it has been a very exciting few weeks, but what people need to remember is that many people have seen very decent snowfall today. In fairness Met Eireann did mention marginality at times, although the forecast by John Eagleton was not so clear in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those who live in the republic of dublin , there is a huge chunk of landmass outside the M50. Hard to believe I know.

Like the other events that were 'non-events' this one has left a good few inches of snow here, no sign of thaw and still snowing.

So non-event for the republic of dublin maybe but not for those of us unlucky enough not to live there. Bear this in mind before declaring something a non-event.

Rant over.

a lot of folks living in dublin are from that big chunk of land that happen past naas. i do agree there is a bias to dublin being on the news, but there again my home town gets its fair share of cover. the flooding once the snow back home melts will probably be epic. also i hear food is running low. people panic buying & if the white stuff continues to fall back home a lot of deliveries not going to be made. time for people to make their own bread etc nearly. which is crazy as here in dub its wet and snow dissappearing :(

you house bound by the snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well BBC have snow predicted for Greater Dublin @ 9pm, 3am & 6am... So wishful thinking:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Rant over.

Everyone is entitled to call a non-event in their own area if snow was forecast. There was very much a non event up north and out west last Thursday with a polar low no less due!!

Everything was ramped up for Dublin today, I haven't seen people say "it's a non event in the country because it didn't snow in Dublin", it's simply a non event from their own perspective. Don't take it the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pocketfluff

Where the **** is my blizzard thing

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

opr wrote: »
    As the night goes on will the DP not become the right side of marginal or is the air in this front too warm to let that happen ? Will the air within the front not become colder as a result of passing over a country that's frozen ?

Opr

This is a quasi stationery warm front per se Opr, but there are local variations within areas under its influence, caused by topography etc. It is possible that DPs will fluctuate and go the right side of marginal, but most especially if you are located inland away from the influence of the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Rant over.

We're just saying it's a non-event for Dublin. I for one am glad you got some of the precious white stuff. Make the most of it.

On another note, been for a walk around the local area (D3) and it's a bit on the messy side. If we have a cold night it's going to be lethal out there in the morning. There are pools of water everywhere that are going to make walking and driving very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Made the most of the snow.

This is snow lady before she got dressed.

snow005.jpg

This is snow lady after she put her skirt on. She couldn't find a bra or top to fit her because she recently had a boob job.

snow006.jpg

We had a bit of an...incident...with red food colouring which is why the ground is red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

jenzz wrote: »
    Well BBC have snow predicted for Greater Dublin @ 9pm, 3am & 6am... So wishful thinking:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

We can hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A young man lost his life on that lake doing something similar to what they are doing, in the early 80's if memory serves me right.

Gob****es, the 4 of them! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Have a look at the big circle of rain the pops up on the radar for 18:00:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement