Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

Has anyone noticed that some weather (local) stations are not updating.... am worried.... my heros Villains has not updated since 17.35.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Its unfair to say that there is a news bias towards Dublin

Limerick and Cork are always in the News

Limerick for stabbing and Cork for moaning :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Yes, I agree it has been a very exciting few weeks, but what people need to remember is that many people have seen very decent snowfall today. In fairness Met Eireann did mention marginality at times, although the forecast by John Eagleton was not so clear in this regard.

SA :)

Well in fairness, what ME forcasted last night for the South came through. It has now been snowing for nearly the last 7 hours here in Lissarda, between Ballincollig and Macroom. I certainly could not have asked for more, having not seen any type of snow here in 5 Years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those who live in the republic of dublin , there is a huge chunk of landmass outside the M50. Hard to believe I know.

Like the other events that were 'non-events' this one has left a good few inches of snow here, no sign of thaw and still snowing.

So non-event for the republic of dublin maybe but not for those of us unlucky enough not to live there. Bear this in mind before declaring something a non-event.

Rant over.

Ah my country friend, chillax. I agree. Being a "Kildub" (Dub in Kildare) I am fairly buried in the sneachta. In Naas it is an event of sorts, but considering its slowly thawing and getting no fresh cover or severe frost, then life will go on a little better than it has earlier in the week. Believe me Dublin got its event in certain areas last wednesday and thursday. However ME put the fear of god in people with a woefully outlandish forecast. Expectations were high. Money was spent stocking up. Jobs were informed of possible absence. The media fed into this "capital city" armageddon and now they have forgotten that other parts of the country are experiencing similar conditions.

Anyway tomorrow it will start to melt and by Tuesday/Wednesday you will be swishing around in copious amounts of water and slush.

Its all cool says he on beer number 4 and facing back to normality tomorrow.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Got plenty of snow in macroom :D
    DSCF0161.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Have a look at the big circle of rain the pops up on the radar for 18:00:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

That's the snow zone for tonight.

Raining here. I feel sick. All my lovely snow getting washed away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I went to the local supermarket today and milk, bread, salt (of any kind) cat litter, butter, canned food were either at very low stock or sold out. Not sure when people are expecting to happen.

Well I can understand the salt and stuff as I put a bag of dishwasher salt on the footpaths around my house and they have been clear for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

a lot of folks living in dublin are from that big chunk of land that happen past naas. i do agree there is a bias to dublin being on the news, but there again my home town gets its fair share of cover. the flooding once the snow back home melts will probably be epic. also i hear food is running low. people panic buying & if the white stuff continues to fall back home a lot of deliveries not going to be made. time for people to make their own bread etc nearly. which is crazy as here in dub its wet and snow dissappearing :(

you house bound by the snow?
    Yep
    102012.jpg
    102013.jpg
    102014.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

It just updated! phew! the temp is rising..... bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

is the snow finished in Limerick? looks like lots on the radar but not a crumb falling....:confused:

Nope, still falling at a steady rate here in West Limerick :D

Long may it continue :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

I just had a little flurry for a few minutes, it wasn't much but it shows it can still snow up here.

One thing i have learnt in the pass few days is that anything can happen. Some people get it right and some people get it wrong.

So what will be will be. Let it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Leeside wrote: »
    If it happened in Dublin...

...it would effect a lot more people, not just Dublin people, but Cork, Limerick, Kerry, India, people from all over the place, more and bigger hospitals with seriously ill patients, emergency services, ambulances in particular, more elderly, more sick people, big business, small business, commerce, banking etc... That's why RTE report if things happen in it. Get over it, it's the way it is, cities have a lot of people, so when things happen, a lot of people get affected!

So, all of you that are crying about Dublin getting coverage, dry your eyes. There is plenty of coverage from all over the country. Stop fixating about your capital and the coverage it's getting. We in Dublin are very aware of what is happening all over the country. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Its unfair to say that there is a news bias towards Dublin

Limerick and Cork are always in the News

Limerick for stabbing and Cork for moaning :D:D:D

i'd rather be on the news for moaning than for stabbing mind you! no moaning today i have to say...lovely powdery snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

:D 3 or 4 inches of snow in mallow and still snowing,I'm a happy man

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

That poster earlier may have been joking or may well have a contact in Met Eireann.

Anyway, that aside, ECMWF has been hinting on the past two runs that Atlantic dominance may not persist & that we could see a renewed HP & potentially Easterly influence in the last third of the month.

That might have something to do with that posting & ECMWF brings this forward to T+168 tonight.

Let the chasing of Fantasy Cold Spells begin again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Leeside wrote: »
    Thats 8 hours of snow and it hardly gets a mention. If it happened in Dublin, rte would cancel all programmes and have live reports from outside the Dail by The Hat Cunningham.

Don't worry, Cork will get itself back in the news when it's under 20ft of water next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok.. anyone in south Sligo, mid Mayo or Roscommon getting anything yet? Is this actually moving north. Seems to have stalled.

Temp here 1.6c but the wind would cut ya in two ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Tactical wrote: »
    Nope, still falling at a steady rate here in West Limerick :D

Long may it continue :D

Same here, where are you? NCW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Greeting from East Cork. Still snowing here. Probably over 3 inches have fallen already today. A rare and wonderful event.

Could anyone in the city let me know what the roads are like up there. Was considering travelling to work tommorrow provided the main roads are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

oldmillgal wrote: »
    It just updated! phew! the temp is rising..... bad!

The temp is rising with me too! :( What part of Carlow are you in?

13925.jpg

Those temps are pretty marginal for snow! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

MB1380 wrote: »
    Got plenty of snow in macroom :D
    DSCF0161.jpg

Your neighbour needs to take down there christmas decorations, its after the 6th :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

But with a sunny disposition!

and a chilling stare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

Raining in Swords.
    3.0C

Rain is melting the remaining now as it falls on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

ch750536 wrote: »
    For those who live in the republic of dublin , there is a huge chunk of landmass outside the M50. Hard to believe I know.

Like the other events that were 'non-events' this one has left a good few inches of snow here, no sign of thaw and still snowing.

So non-event for the republic of dublin maybe but not for those of us unlucky enough not to live there. Bear this in mind before declaring something a non-event.

Rant over.

Did somebody say something there? :D:D:D

Anyway, nothing happening here in dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Any idea what the weather is to be like in Leixlip????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snowing again steadily in Cork City:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Anybody know if Dungarvan got Snow today? If so how much on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok.. anyone in south Sligo, mid Mayo or Roscommon getting anything yet? Is this actually moving north. Seems to have stalled.

Nothing in Foxford yet, Thawing a bit ,

wind would cut ya in two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

irish1967 wrote: »

Has just started to rain here in Castlebar with the odd flake of snow thrown in....once the shower builds id say the temps will drop and it will turn to snow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

cork*girl wrote: »
    anyone know what is the email address for sending pictures to rte?

snow is amazing in east cork!

yourphotos@rte.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement