Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Sunday 10th January )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

ayumi wrote: »
    so schools here in dublin are opened tommorw except towns who had snow today

On the 6,1 news they still said schools were closed until Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

oldmillgal wrote: »
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????
    what do you mean?

even if the announced that all 4000 schools to lose until thursday they might open tommorw as roads are fine to drive on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

all schools reopen on thursday.

there will be a review on tuesday whether to extend it or not. inital fingers are pointing to a 'no'

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

fisab wrote: »
    Incredible how the temperatures have managed to stay so low in Cork all day. Truely the best snow event in Cork for years.
    (and I finally got to make that elusive monster snowman with the kids)

Temperatures on the rise though now.
    Was 30F (-1c) all day long but has jumped a half degree in each of the last 2 half hours and I expect sleet from now on.
    Roads will be bad in the morning regardless.

My reading was 0.7 all afternoon. 0.6c at 6pm and now its 1.1c. Thats still cold enough for snow depending on D.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

my school in sutton is closed till tuesday and then there going to review the situation..... so no going back tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

what do you mean?

even if the announced that all 4000 schools to lose until thursday they might open tommorw as roads are fine to drive on

Roads here are very unsafe to travel on... I mean nothing was gritted in some smaller villages around the country... roads still trecherous unless you happen to be travelling in a 4x4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Posted all the way back on Thursday. Well done sir!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63858701&postcount=1750

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

More like sleet falling here now, but we had a great day and saw lots of snow so can't complain. Temp is 1.1c DP 0.4c :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

inabina wrote: »
    sandyford turning more to snow, temp dodgy tho between 2.4 and 2.8. the precip is very light and intermittent even tho radar would suggest continuious?:confused: chance of fully turn to snow SA?

I'm getting moderate stuff now, seems a bit wet though, adding to the lying stuff but having trouble sticking to cars that have been cleaned off today. (Sandyford also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

what do you mean?

Seriously dude don't write something like as if it's fact unless you state that it's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

SeaFields wrote: »
    Then a housing estate in D4 will get flooded and it'll make Primetime and The Frontline.

lets prompt the dundon 'gang' into action n give us some genuine regional headlines! 12cm of snow at most somewhere maybe.. theyre dealing w/ 12ft of the stuff in the true aryan core of europe n scandinavian fringes lets just get over this. rest assured if a moderate 'flood' happens again we'll make a crisis out of it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

opr wrote: »
    Posted all the way back on Thursday. Well done sir!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63858701&postcount=1750

Opr

i reckon somethings still going to happen in the midlands, northwest, north and some eastern fringes on tuesday. at least for a short period anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Heyes wrote: »
    Your neighbour needs to take down there christmas decorations, its after the 6th :D

That's Coolcower for you!! ;):D:D:D;):D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

what do you mean?

A Ministerial Decree has been issued, school boards of management cannot overrule this.

Anyway, consistent snowfall here - and its heavy. Event aint over for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

what do you mean?

Not everywhere - many roads still treacherous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pocketfluff

PLIIM wrote: »
    Raining in Swords.
    3.0C

Rain is melting the remaining now as it falls on it.

I know ****ing pissing me off. I don't wanna go college tomorrow *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

that radar looks a bit odd! the perfectly symmetrical circular edge must be wrong..met office uk have it as well on their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Regardless of what way the weather is going I thought It best to build a snowoman before it all melts....

17955_403662110474_617855474_10829306_1365463_n.jpg

It was my mams idea to add the nips..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

that radar looks a bit odd! the perfectly symmetrical circular edge must be wrong..met office uk have it as well on their radar.

Well the circle is most likely some sort of interference with the Shannon radar, it has been showing up in the past too. Met Office use the same radar as Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Temps rising slightly now in cork, hopefully will remain at 1C at most.
    There will be a very rapid thaw tomorrow afternoon, but im hoping to see plenty more snow beforehand.
    Why most of the eastern side of Ireland only got rain today is a mystery
    It just goes to show that any snowfall in this country is a lottery at best.
    I mean we had a potent easterly, low 850's touching -8, thickness a bit borderline but ok, and a frozen Britain where the wind was blowing from.
    Also we had the ground under freezing temps for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Heavy snow here. 2-3 inches lying on the 1 inch remaining since two weeks ago. Still coming down moderately. It stopped snowing in Ennis at 4.30 but it is still going on higher ground. Roads are passable with utmost caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

thats a fly snowoman good on yer. and for shattering the sexist stereotype

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sauvblanc

Hail and light snow in Dublin 18

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm getting moderate stuff now, seems a bit wet though, adding to the lying stuff but having trouble sticking to cars that have been cleaned off today. (Sandyford also)

moderate here too good to see not all hope lost, temp 2.5 no idea what DP is tho but must be reasonably favourable. i am just happy it is not solid rain which would be quite typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

snow in sandyford?
    hmmm hope the weather gremlin sends it my way. just a few miles away is all i am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Temps rising slightly now in cork, hopefully will remain at 1C at most.
    There will be a very rapid thaw tomorrow afternoon, but im hoping to see plenty more snow beforehand.
    Why most of the eastern side of Ireland only got rain today is a mystery
    It just goes to show that any snowfall in this country is a lottery at best.
    I mean we had a potent easterly, low 850's touching -8, thickness a bit borderline but ok, and a frozen Britain where the wind was blowing from.
    Also we had the ground under freezing temps for 3 weeks.

where is this more snow coming from? has anyone got the link to that hirlam radar? if you have wolfe thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Anyone know what the N11 is like now...and what is the forecast for over night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Naas Co. Kildare today. But the thaw has set in. Its drip drip drip. But theres a lot of dripping to be done as it was 6 inches in depth.

STA71464.jpg?t=1263150898

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok.. anyone in south Sligo, mid Mayo or Roscommon getting anything yet? Is this actually moving north. Seems to have stalled.

Temp here 1.6c but the wind would cut ya in two ! :)

Yes ive rain in mayo, near claremorris

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement